Sram eTap levers with Sram Red Aerolink or DuraAce brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

Sram eTap levers
Frame with "normal" brake mount no direct mount
Both brakes, latest models: Sram Red Aerolink or Shimano DuraAce
Any benefits to use DuraAce, more power or better modulation if compare to Sram Red ?
Have someone try this setup, eTap levers and DuraAce brakes ?
Thoughts, experiences and compatibility.

Ask this because my new frame is almost white and black brakes fits better to my eyes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Shimano and SRAM have differing cable pull ratios in their brakes, therefore mixing manufacturers should be avoided. Most likely the brakes will end up being not progressive enough (starts to bite early during the lever’s throw, but won’t deliver much power when squeezing harder). I haven’t tried eTap levers with Shimano’s brakes, but I had SRAM’s TT levers with Ultegra calipers on a TT bike for a while. They were exactly like that (not progressive). A clear improvement occured when I switched to Aerolink calipers.

On my road bike I transitioned from old 10spd SRAM Red levers & calipers to eTap levers and Aerolink calipers. A noticeable improvement was felt at that occasion as well. Although Dura-Ace brakes are usually highly regarded, I’d say eTap levers + Aerolink calipers are not too bad either.

If you can get your hands on a pair of current generation 105 calipers, that would be a cheaper way to try it out compared to D-A. Dura-ace will, of course, be better than 105, but most likely the overall feel (with eTap levers) will most likely be the same.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Jugi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:45 pm
Shimano and SRAM have differing cable pull ratios in their brakes, therefore mixing manufacturers should be avoided. Most likely the brakes will end up being not progressive enough (starts to bite early during the lever’s throw, but won’t deliver much power when squeezing harder). I haven’t tried eTap levers with Shimano’s brakes, but I had SRAM’s TT levers with Ultegra calipers on a TT bike for a while. They were exactly like that (not progressive). A clear improvement occured when I switched to Aerolink calipers.

On my road bike I transitioned from old 10spd SRAM Red levers & calipers to eTap levers and Aerolink calipers. A noticeable improvement was felt at that occasion as well. Although Dura-Ace brakes are usually highly regarded, I’d say eTap levers + Aerolink calipers are not too bad either.

If you can get your hands on a pair of current generation 105 calipers, that would be a cheaper way to try it out compared to D-A. Dura-ace will, of course, be better than 105, but most likely the overall feel (with eTap levers) will most likely be the same.
No problem using Sram levers with Shimano calipers......The Katusha team previously used Dura-ace brakes (direct mount) I have a partner who leads eTap with Dura-ace 9000 brakes, and you haven't noticed any differences in using the 9000 brakes with Sram or Shimano levers, and many others carry the same combination

Swannie

by Swannie

I use ultegra dm brakes on my sl6 on sram levers. Works perfect!

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

I have eTap on both my bikes and Dura Ace 9000 Calipers on both of them as well. I personally think the Dura Ace brakes are miles better than the Aerolink other than weight. The dual pivot design is just much better and worth the lack of hassle. There will be people that tell you the Aerolink isn't hard to set up and we are all fools, but I fought with those brakes for so long and ever since I put on the Dura Ace stuff I haven't had a problem. I even bought Dura Ace 9100 brakes for the upcoming season.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

kookie

by kookie

Have eTap and installed DA9100 rear brake (needed more caliper/tire clearance) and although it's not perfect it's good enough. For me it has a spongy feel when braking and not as responsive as the Aerolink caliper.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Sram levers pull less cable than Shimano so you'll have to set the pads closer to the rim.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Look into ee brakes........feel really good with etap levers. Expensive, but worth it. Modulation second to none.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If I may borrow the conversation a little...

How is it that eebrakes are compatible with both cable pull ratios?

/a

crux

by crux

I ran eTap with Dura-Ace brake calipers for two years - no problem at all

Vermu

by Vermu

alcatraz wrote:If I may borrow the conversation a little...

/a
EE works better with Sram & Campa, works with shimano but not as well.
Have EEs with mech red and best brakes I’ve used. Previous were DA, aerolink and ultegra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Vermu wrote:

/a
Have EEs with mech red and best brakes I’ve used. Previous were DA, aerolink and ultegra

So if you have Shimano levers you are better off with a “value” purchase of dura Ace calipers over EE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermu

by Vermu

mcfarton wrote:
Vermu wrote:

/a

So if you have Shimano levers you are better off with a “value” purchase of dura Ace calipers over EE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot are using shimano with EE, so they should work.
DA braking is good, weight isn’t. Matters what you prefer...

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I use etap and eebrakes. Great combo! They are light, and brake really well... unlike most ww brake options

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGtim

by NGtim

I have shimano 6800 direct mount brakes as my bike came with shimano originally. Swapped over to ETap and the braking feels better than ever. I don’t care what the brand purest say, shimano make the best brakes!