SRAM eTap wire extensions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

overridex

by overridex

Has anyone made extensions to eTap wires? I have 650mm Clic buttons on my aero extensions, but they're not quite long enough to route interally to my Blipbox on my Giant Trinity Advanced.

I figure 6 inches longer would do the trick, but I'd rather not cut my Clic wires to lengthen them if I can avoid it, though I'd love to hear from anyone who has done that as well.

Has anyone come up with extension cables that have a female plug on one end for the Clic to plug into, and a male plug on the other to plug into the Blipbox? If anyone has made them themselves, any info would be appreciated since the plug bodies seem non-standard.

Of course, if someone's already made something like this I'd be happy to pay for a set!

-Dan

overridex

by overridex

I also posted this to slowtwitch, and got some replies but nothing exactly what I was looking for, so I ended up splicing and soldering the wires with some extra wire to lengthen them. I posted some pictures and the summary at https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6806836 in case it's useful to anyone.

-Dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

Nice work. Another option might have been to cut and wire in some standard plugs in the line. That way you can vary to length to whatever you like by clipping in and out a centre piece of different length - although soldered joins are probably a better option if you're confident you know the right length and won't need to change it.

As far as the soldering goes, instead of cutting two wires at exactly the same point, if you stagger the cuts then it greatly reduces the chances of shorting at your joins. Instead of doing it like this:
--------cut----------
--------cut----------
Do it like this:
---cut---------------
---------------cut---
This method can also reduce the thickness of the "lump" due to solder and electrical tape etc since the two joins aren't side by side.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

overridex

by overridex

Good suggestions kman, staggering the cuts makes sense.

-Dan