Ultrasonic cleaners, how good do they clean chain internals?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JScycle

by JScycle

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 am
I get at least 15000-20000km out of a chain before it has 0.5% wear
Please share your secrets! I probably get 4000km

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JScycle wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 am

Without diligent rewaxing and just using regular lube? Has to be a combination of low watts and high gear ratios (low torque / high cadence.) There's just no other way.

mattr

by mattr

TBH, i found the biggest killer for chains was shifting back in the 9 speed days.
I actually killed less chains the more power i was making. Instead of dropping a gear on every slight incline, you just up the power, hold the gear. Probably (near enough) doubled the life, chains were swapped as a preventative measure rather than through necessity. (Then part used chains demoted to training bike)

JScycle

by JScycle

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:08 pm
JScycle wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 am

Without diligent rewaxing and just using regular lube? Has to be a combination of low watts and high gear ratios (low torque / high cadence.) There's just no other way.
I use squirt lube. Maybe slightly higher than 4000km.
Moderate wattage (I race) and high cadence
Changing at 0.5 not 0.75 (Park Tool chain checker)

fidracer

by fidracer

For those of you using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your chain, are you reusing a quick link to reinstall the chain, or using a new one each time?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fidracer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am
For those of you using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your chain, are you reusing a quick link to reinstall the chain, or using a new one each time?

I use Wippermann Connex toolless/reusable links since I'm still on the waxing train.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 am
fidracer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am

I use Wippermann Connex toolless/reusable links since I'm still on the waxing train.
Same here. From memory YBN links are stated as being reusable 5 times but the wipperman will last as long as chain does.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

ms6073

by ms6073

I purchased an ultra sonic cleaner from Amazon similar to the one pictured in first post of the thread. Used a mix of water and Simple Green HD and while I think it does a good job of cleaning the chain, but have stopped as the process was causing etching of our KMC X11SL DLC chains with colored links.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 pm
I purchased an ultra sonic cleaner from Amazon similar to the one pictured in first post of the thread. Used a mix of water and Simple Green HD and while I think it does a good job of cleaning the chain, but have stopped as the process was causing etching of our KMC X11SL DLC chains with colored links.
Use odorless mineral spirits as your solution in the ultrasonic cleaner. It'll get the chain a lot cleaner and it won't etch the metal. Been doing it for ten years in my Crest unit with the heat turned up to the max and it's worked a treat.

kode54

by kode54

its not a flammable fluid? and with high heat...risk of fire?
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 pm
Use odorless mineral spirits as your solution in the ultrasonic cleaner. It'll get the chain a lot cleaner and it won't etch the metal. Been doing it for ten years in my Crest unit with the heat turned up to the max and it's worked a treat.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

ms6073

by ms6073

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 pm
It'll get the chain a lot cleaner and it won't etch the metal.
Etch probably was the wrong word to use as while the original formulation of Simple Green would definitely etch alloys, that is not the issue with the SG HD (purple stuff), more that the DLC coating and color comes off after a couple runs through the ultra-sonic. With 5 bikes to maintain, I have also come to the conclusion that it is much less hassle to clean the chain with a shop towel each Sunday then purchase new chains after 2500 miles (~4000 km). :beerchug:
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I also stopped using the ultrasonic cleaners to clean chains because of the hassle factor. I just RnR Gold and it's a cleaner/lubricant. It's easier to just apply the lube and then wipe down the chain with a rag. Yes I know this isn't nearly as effective as the ultrasonic cleaner but I've gotten very good chain life this way.

JoO

by JoO

I wax my chains with paraffin wax. To clean the chain I use a 20 EUR ultrasonic cleaner. Pour boiling water over the chain ad a drop of dish washing soap.
Works good enough for me. I don't use degreasers anymore.