Aero bike vs climbing bike (same weight)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

If your climbing bike is >7kg, of course you take the aero bike
Last edited by Marin on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MMW

by MMW

well - in the racing i'm doing, the minimum weight of the bike is 6,8kg, so not abel to go real WW.
And it made me wonder if there was a massive different in fell of a climbing and aero bike. :wink:

Stueys

by Stueys

Bordcla wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:25 am
For what it's worth, I've got (all size 58 or L):

a Specialized Tarmac Expert with Dura-Ace C24s (around 7.5kg);
a Cervelo S3 with Enve 4.5s (around 7.4kg); and
a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 disc with Enve 4.5ARs (around 7.6kg)

I'd say the S3 climbs the best of the 3, closely followed by the two others, which climb very very well, despite different geometries between them.

To me, the fact that a disc aero bike and another aero bike match and exceed a superb climber like the Tarmac SL4 tells me that performance when climbing is certainly no reason to prefer an non aero frame. All 3 also descend superbly, with the Cervelo possibly again being my favorite.
Off topic but Enve 4.5AR's, any chance of some quick feedback?

robeambro

by robeambro

I wonder whether the average cyclist will ever learn that the answer to most questions along these lines is "it depends".

Some people may train on longer rides (150km+), while others hardly spend more than 1 consecutive hour on the saddle.
Some people may live in a mountainous area, while others may live in a dead-flat area.
Some people may be interested in racing, while others only ride recreationally.
Some people who race may do crits, while others may do GF's, and others even Randonnées or whatever they're called.
Some people, due to age or other physical characteristics, may require additional comfort than others.

And even once all of the above is settled, there are some people who may buy a bike just because they like how it looks, rather than focus on its functionality and calculate how many milliseconds they'd gain on the local climb by improving their weight/aero drag by 43 grams. And for the records, there's nothing wrong with either approach.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Stueys wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am
Bordcla wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:25 am
For what it's worth, I've got (all size 58 or L):

a Specialized Tarmac Expert with Dura-Ace C24s (around 7.5kg);
a Cervelo S3 with Enve 4.5s (around 7.4kg); and
a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 disc with Enve 4.5ARs (around 7.6kg)

I'd say the S3 climbs the best of the 3, closely followed by the two others, which climb very very well, despite different geometries between them.

To me, the fact that a disc aero bike and another aero bike match and exceed a superb climber like the Tarmac SL4 tells me that performance when climbing is certainly no reason to prefer an non aero frame. All 3 also descend superbly, with the Cervelo possibly again being my favorite.
Off topic but Enve 4.5AR's, any chance of some quick feedback?
What feedback are you looking for? Ask away!

robertbb

by robertbb

Ride quality, comfort..... and in all likelyhood, the aero bike will have a more aggressive geometry (which may or may not be an issue).

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

robeambro wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:42 am
I wonder whether the average cyclist will ever learn that the answer to most questions along these lines is "it depends".
I wonder when the average cyclist will learn that it doesn’t matter which bike they ride. They are all fine.

bas

by bas

I went from an Sworks Venge Vias to a TCR. I’ve fitted pro vibe aero bars and matching stem, all wires internal, bar end junction box, brake housings cut as short as possible. With deep section wheels I figure I’ve got 90% of the “aero” of an aero bike but with a feel and ride comfort miles apart. Ignoring of course the 1kg weight difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ill let you know next year when the look 785 comes out of hiding after winter. I can compare it directly to the 795.

Lwein777 to say aero bikes are faster til 6% gradient is proven is a pile of bollocks. There are a number of assumptions in the statement. It certainly bid not proven.

What will affect how a climbing bike climbs is the seat tube angle. This will affect you position over the BB and how much power you can push out seated. There was s no way to answer the question. There are too many variables and rules of thumb do not apply no matter how much done insist they do.

calleking

by calleking

I have ridden an Aeroad CF SLX for the last 3 seasons and switched a S-Works Tarmac SL6 a month ago. It's about 200 grams lighter with the components I have on now. I'm using enve 4.5s, zipp sl stem and aerofly handlebars. Nothing lightweight but pretty aero and very stiff. The Aeroad is actually a pretty good climbing bike and quite comfortable.

The SL6 feels very snappy and accelerates faster and especially if you stand up: it feels incredibly stiff and just goes. The Aeroad had some of that feeling but not as defined as the SL6. The steeper the climb the more noticeable it is and the impression you get is that you're going fast. It's fun and addictive :) The Aeroad didn't feel as snappy but you could tell you were climbing fast. I think they're pretty equal until 6-7%.

It's not a huge upgrade for sure but I'm my book I have a more comfortable, super fun and almost as aero bike. Not to mention the fantastic paint job.

I think most Aero bikes will end up similar to the Aeroad. They're super fast on the flats, pretty comfortable but perhaps lack that little extra lively feeling when climbing and out of the saddle.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm