New Focus Izalco Max is up on website

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The old Izalco Max had neither a horizontal top tube nor small diameter tubes in general. It doesn’t even fit your definition of a “stand out” traditional frame...whatever that is.

In what world is this bike below’s downtube, top tube or head tube “slim?” Only the fork is thin compared to most others in the category.

Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

This is one I will consider. I wanted to move to discs and either an aero frame or an all-rounder with aero characteristics. I'm glad they've also taken weight into account a bit. Even the lower 8 series comes close to the weight of the higher end frames of some of the bigger makers, I think. I'm also impressed that they're dedicated to including real aero wheels with the 8 series/105 bikes. I think it's weird to buy an aero frame and have low-depth aluminum wheels. Once you factor in the cost of better wheels, you really jack up the price.

The only problem is that there are so few dealers in the US, and I'd definitely like to give one a ride at some point. Fortunately I live within a 1.5 hour drive of almost every bike brand, except Focus.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pon Holdings are annoying to deal with. If you work with Pon, it’s probably because you’re a Cervelo dealer. If you’re a Cervelo dealer, they really try to push you to sell a Focus too, but they want you to carry the entire line-up of race, gravel, CX, etc. In reality, most Cervelo dealers in the US need to carry a more popular mainstream brand like Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc.

If you really want to buy one, the closest dealer should be able to order one for you.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:33 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:48 am
velov wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:25 am

Since when are straight, round tubes a “standout” design? The Izalco Max and SuperSix Evo of old never bothered to be anything but traditional looking.
You answered it yourself...since the herd moved towards aero shaped tubes.
you are still not making sense...
which current high end frames (of course from mass manufacturers, not parlee, crumpton, etc), consequently executed with slim-, round-, straight tubes, and a simple-, traditional look, can you name?
I’d like a separate board for people who treat bicycles like fashion accessories so this adolescent bickering can stay off the main forum.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm
The old Izalco Max had neither a horizontal top tube nor small diameter tubes in general. It doesn’t even fit your definition of a “stand out” traditional frame...whatever that is.

In what world is this bike below’s downtube, top tube or head tube “slim?” Only the fork is thin compared to most others in the category.

Hi,

1. picures are often bad counselors in aesthetical questions like this. for example, i own a ridley helium from 2016 and an izalco max. on side view pictures, the helium looks significantly slimmer than the izalco, in real, the opposite is the case. thats, because the tubes of the ridley have, partly cross ovalized, square design. (that concerns although many other frames like scott, giant, cervelos.......), which makes massive tubes look slim on profile views.

2. the izalco has, from size to size, changing tube diameters (bigger sizes->bigger tubes). i agree with you that from a certain size on, the diameters cant be called "slim" anymore. but this simply makes technically sense.

3. imo "classical design" does not command a horizontal top tube. but hereof one can be of different opinions for shure.

here, for example, pictures, which, imo, create a quite different image of the izalco, compared to the picture you posted:

regards,
GothicCastle wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 pm
I’d like a separate board for people who treat bicycles like fashion accessories so this adolescent bickering can stay off the main forum.
ah, a plea for pure art (although a little grim)! exemplary!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

reedplayer wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 am
here, for example, pictures, which, imo, create a quite different image of the izalco, compared to the picture you posted:

It would though, given the back tyre is an inch and a half off the ground. Lift the rear axle far enough and you can make any top tube look flat :P I think Tobin's main point though is that the Izalco was not innovative or special just because it conformed to an older stereotype of bike silhouettes than the new dropped stay group that are criticized for looking too 'samey'.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:47 pm
Pon Holdings are annoying to deal with. If you work with Pon, it’s probably because you’re a Cervelo dealer. If you’re a Cervelo dealer, they really try to push you to sell a Focus too, but they want you to carry the entire line-up of race, gravel, CX, etc. In reality, most Cervelo dealers in the US need to carry a more popular mainstream brand like Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc.

If you really want to buy one, the closest dealer should be able to order one for you.

...and I’ve just been told that Focus is exiting the US market.

1llum4

by 1llum4

Not like they a big presence in NA. Was always a painful time trying to reach them. Since Cervelo Warehouse is now in the same building as Santa Cruz bikes. Pon Holding might be looking at doing the same for Focus and remake from scrath the NA distribution of Focus in Santa Cruz.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1llum4 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 am
Not like they a big presence in NA. Was always a painful time trying to reach them. Since Cervelo Warehouse is now in the same building as Santa Cruz bikes. Pon Holding might be looking at doing the same for Focus and remake from scrath the NA distribution of Focus in Santa Cruz.
Maybe...or they just don’t see the numbers they want from the brand in the US. Accell tried twice to bring Lapierre to the US, and both times they couldn’t gain any sort of footing. It seems to be a similar situation with Pon and Focus.

1llum4

by 1llum4

For normal road/mtb bikes sure but both Cervelo and Santa Cruz don't make e-bike so Pon might bring back in NA only Focus e-bikes and try to get some market share in this segment.