New Focus Izalco Max is up on website

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

https://www.focus-bikes.com/au_en/bikes/road/izalco-max

Kind of like the minimalist looks. A bit more aero without being chunky looking like a full on aero bike like the Madone/SystemSix/Venge and still looks light and agile. Bit like a tarmac but with hidden cables.

I like it. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Basically a slightly heavier Tarmac or Teammachine that hides its stack with the tall fork / short head tube. As these bikes all chase the same aero efficiency numbers with the same truncated tube shapes, they also invoke the same lukewarm response. It is what it is...aerodynamics are important and there’s only so many ways to improve upon it.

sychen

by sychen

Ya... See it like a slightly heavier Tarmac.
Not bad bike to copy at all.

One weird bit for me is the headtube Junction.. The sculpting/angles makes it look like it's leaning back or a super slack mtb geo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pretty aggressive stack/reach, but slack head tube angles, also a very low BB. Looks like it’s meant for use with 28mm tires.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Wow, that's a really good spot. Partly it looks like an optical illusion from the angle of the scalloped cutaway, but checking the Geo chart it is in most sizes about a degree slacker than the classic Izalco Max!

With a few other changes it sounds like they've really aimed for like a carving turn Gran Fondo bike instead of snappy crit racer style cornering.

muti

by muti

Quite nice the new colour of the BMC slr01,ehhh,Focus izalco max...

velov

by velov

Bit dissapointing how most manufacturers are converging to the same design philosophy...the old Izalco was a standout, along with Cannondale.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

velov wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 am
Bit dissapointing how most manufacturers are converging to the same design philosophy...the old Izalco was a standout, along with Cannondale.

Since when are straight, round tubes a “standout” design? The Izalco Max and SuperSix Evo of old never bothered to be anything but traditional looking.

velov

by velov

You answered it yourself...since the herd moved towards aero shaped tubes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

you are still not making sense...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I understand completely. As much as I love a modern design (I think the S5 in the flesh is amazing) at the same time there is a timeless beauty to the SS Evo and the old Izalco. They will always look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That doesn’t mean they stand out. Semi-aero bikes with dropped stays are still not even a plurality. The Scott Addict, Giant TCR, Cannondale SuperSix Evo, Trek Emonda, Cervelo R5, etc. are still the norm. Each has varying degrees of top tube slope, but none have dropped stays

reedplayer

by reedplayer

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:48 am
velov wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:25 am
velov wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 am

Since when are straight, round tubes a “standout” design? The Izalco Max and SuperSix Evo of old never bothered to be anything but traditional looking.
You answered it yourself...since the herd moved towards aero shaped tubes.
you are still not making sense...
which current high end frames (of course from mass manufacturers, not parlee, crumpton, etc), consequently executed with slim-, round-, straight tubes, and a simple-, traditional look, can you name?

Bb13

by Bb13

No rim brake version ?!
It sounds live I’m going to save some € in the future !
Too bad, focus was on my short list

velov

by velov

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:30 am
That doesn’t mean they stand out. Semi-aero bikes with dropped stays are still not even a plurality. The Scott Addict, Giant TCR, Cannondale SuperSix Evo, Trek Emonda, Cervelo R5, etc. are still the norm. Each has varying degrees of top tube slope, but none have dropped stays
You keep proving my point...I'll leave it upto you to decipher as to how...reedplayer's comment will point you in the right direction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com