From Shimano>>Campy drivetrain. Does BB need replacement too?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I currently have a 2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina with Dura Ace 9150 drivetrain. I plan on moving the drivetrain to my new Madone and replacing it with Campy Super Record 12-speed. Right now my DA 9100 crank is running through a Kogel ceramic 386 Evo BB. I was told the BB will work just fine with the new Campy crank. Couple of other retailers said otherwise. Heres my bike.
Attachments
IMG_3275 2.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get the Campy cups for that shell. They’re not that expensive. That will ensure the bearings are located correctly. The bearings for the Campy crank are pressfit onto the crank plus they are narrower (6mm) than the Shimano bearings (7mm). Just make sure you have a good mechanic installing the cups.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Calnago wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 am
Get the Campy cups for that shell. They’re not that expensive. That will ensure the bearings are located correctly. The bearings for the Campy crank are pressfit onto the crank plus they are narrower (6mm) than the Shimano bearings (7mm). Just make sure you have a good mechanic installing the cups.
Thanks for the info!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Calnago wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 am
Are these the right ones? The BB inside the frame is currently a Kogel 386 Evo for Shimano. Thanks!

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/camp ... DJEALw_wcB

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, those are for Cervelo’s BBRight system. You want the Ultratorque Campy cups for 386 Bb’s.
Basic dimensions 86.5x46mm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Looks like this one?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 8.37.47 PM.png

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Welcome to BB confusion :) . Normally you’d be good at this point since that’s the right size but it’s an older version. Do NOT get that version. They were prone to creaking. But people are still selling them even though the revision happened in 2015. How can you tell the difference? Well, the most obvious thing is the O-rings. The newer ones don’t have them. Here’s the box with the Campy part number of the ones in your link...
See the “IC-14..” part of the part number. You want the “IC-15” version. It may be that they just haven’t updated the picture so you could call them and make sure they are the newest ones by checking the part number. But yes, those are at least the right sized cups, just not the revised version.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Agree with Calnago on the new PNs.. get contact with the place you are ordering from.. when I did the BB30 Campy cups on my Tarmac I like you found various part numbers.. old stock numbers are still floating around and can be confusing.. I got mine from Universal Cycles. I contacted them about the 2 different numbers and told them I NEED the newest.. he reassured me that all the "old" part number was not stocked and I would get the new number... he removed reference to the old part while I was on the phone with him... new PN showed up.. I ended up getting the specific Campy PF tool kit from Europe on sale as I didnt have a PF kit.. works perfectly.. the presses fit right into the cup.. not really a chance of messing it up.. I used Loctite primer adnd 609 on my cups... Done similar with the my Cannondale.. it was never my cups that creaked in the Supersix it was always the bearings nuking themselves...

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm confused and intrigued. Do the bearings pop out of that kogel unit and let you use the standard campag UT bearings?
Chasse patate

wilwil

by wilwil

Are these a different size to those used in C60 and C64? Which I thought were 86.5 x 41.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@wilwil: Yes, different. 41mm diameter vs 46mm diameter. Assuming you’re talking about the cups, not the actual bearings.