Aero bikes and the Pro peloton...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Bordcla

by Bordcla

Lots of opinions stated as facts in this thread. I get that to many, who don't like aerobics, don't find them attractive, don't intend to buy them, it is easier to say that they offer no real advantage than to admit they do, and in the same breath admit that they still aren't interested in buying one, but saying they offer no tangible advantage is a simple factual fallacy.

The most accurate post here might be the one saying how one of the attributes of superstition is resistance to change. I'd bet my head that a very large percentage not those who claim aero bikes offer no real benefit also will say the same about disc brakes... Which to me says more about them and their ideology than about the technical benefits of either device.

guyc

by guyc

No. Some of us are saying that there’s more to enjoying a bike than how aero it is.

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A guy working at Cervelo was interviewed. He said that most of the pro riders will use new S5 over R5 on roubaix.
This was due to the fact that new S5 offers more flex than the stiffer R5.
Talking Scott, Scott claimed Foil is just as comfortable as Addict. So i guess there is little reason to use Addict!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calleking wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm
Nibali sure would have won on the Scultura. Just like Thomas De Gendt's standard Ridley Helium SLX has worked wonders on many solo breakaways.

He only won by a couple of seconds on a bike that was several seconds faster from the time he attacked. If we assume he left nothing on the table, he would have lost on the Scultura.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm
A guy working at Cervelo was interviewed. He said that most of the pro riders will use new S5 over R5 on roubaix.
Talking Scott, Scott claimed Foil is just as comfortable as Addict. So i guess there is little reason to use Addict!?

No doubt the Madone with IsoSpeed is more comfortable than the Emonda too. Also as Tour Mag points out, the difference on flat ground at race speeds between and Emonda and Madone is almost 30W.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:44 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:

No doubt the Madone with IsoSpeed is more comfortable than the Emonda too. Also as Tour Mag points out, the difference on flat ground at race speeds between and Emonda and Madone is almost 30W.
saved. 30w saved.

Not faster in real world terms though....

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

wheelsONfire wrote:

Marketing overdrive.

The R5 was launched as a classics machine, rereleased with the classics wrap frame. Now they tell us S5 better for Roubaix as they know middle aged men buy them and put bums on bikes thus £$£$£ in the til. It is one massive game.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Losing weight makes you more aero.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I’ll wait and see how many S5’s we see when the teams realise it’ll basically bankrupt them after swapping a couple of stems around... Do they have a -17 equivalent yet?

chorus88

by chorus88

diegogarcia wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:

Marketing overdrive.

The R5 was launched as a classics machine, rereleased with the classics wrap frame. Now they tell us S5 better for Roubaix as they know middle aged men buy them and put bums on bikes thus £$£$£ in the til. It is one massive game.
+1
S5 on 50km+ sectors of cobbles...I don't think so :unbelievable:
When Technology Becomes Emotion

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

chorus88 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:36 pm

S5 on 50km+ sectors of cobbles...I don't think so :unbelievable:

BikeRadar: Mathew Hayman's Scott Foil

The way I see it, the brands have many more opportunities throughout the calendar to pimp their aero bikes. Roubaix is for pimping their endurance offerings like the Domane, Roubaix, Defy, Synapse, etc. Aero bikes sell themselves, so if Sunweb-Cervelo ends up using the S5 during Roubaix, that would actually be a missed marketing opportunity for something like a next-generation C5.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 pm
Are you sure?
I think i read somewhere that belly actually fill the void and make you more aero.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 pm
Are you sure?
I think i read somewhere that belly actually fill the void and make you more aero.
I have hope then :lol: my wide shoulders are going nowhere
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Are you sure?

Nevermind aero, being bigger where aero matters is simply better in many cases.

The biggest contributor to drag is frontal-area, and area is a square function. Gaining mass is a cubic function. This is why the fastest time trialists are generally larger than GC contenders and GC contenders are larger than pure climbers.

I won’t be shocked when some 75kg guy with a slight gut pushing 315W passes my skinny 62kg ass doing 275W in a flat TT even though his power-to-weight is worse.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

w/kg is good for climbing, on flats and descents it doesn't mean very much. Bit annoying to think when you're happy with your value.

It kind of brings back the question: What's a good weight or bmi for a high performing cyclist? Do they weigh more during their on season than if they are lets say just training (waiting) for a few months/weeks. That would indicate they need some muscle mass for that absolute power.

by Weenie