Canyon Endurace BB & Chain stay crack

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitarist

by gitarist

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 pm
gitarist wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm
Hello AJS914, thank you for your support. Of course, I can take more clear photos. You mean, you have some connections at Canyon, that can help me, or did I misunderstand you ?
And also have you seen wheelsonfire’s comment ? Could it be just a paint crack ? A friend of mine told me that matte finishes are more fragile than shiny finishes.

I don't have any connections with Canyon, sorry. My only suggestion is when one has to take pictures like this that they do it on a clean, spotless bike. When you send the company dirty pictures, the bike looks used and abused and they are less likely to be sympathetic. It sounds like Canyon has a pattern of denying claims.

You can do the basic tap test with a piece of metal (like a coin). Tap the carbon and if it sounds dead then the carbon is broken. Tap the other side for a comparison of the sound.
Hi AJS914 again, I tried that in my second mail, that involves also some other clear photos showing no such sign of impact, scratch or anything else. I tried to express myself how such new looking bike can take an impact and have this kind of crack. By the way I tried to coin experiment and the sound doesn't change and it isn't dying, when I tap the coin. So this means that frame is not cracked instead the paint ? Is that method reliable ? Thanks again

Ömer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Personally I've tried the tap test on a frame that was crash damaged and it worked pretty reliably. The sound no longer rings and the tap will sound dead in that spot. I'd say that is good news if it is just a paint crack.

Do you have a carbon repair business close to you? A professional evaluation couldn't hurt if it makes you more comfortable.

Here is a video of the tap test I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL8OcKPTCE

gitarist

by gitarist

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 pm
Personally I've tried the tap test on a frame that was crash damaged and it worked pretty reliably. The sound no longer rings and the tap will sound dead in that spot. I'd say that is good news if it is just a paint crack.

Do you have a carbon repair business close to you? A professional evaluation couldn't hurt if it makes you more comfortable.

Here is a video of the tap test I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL8OcKPTCE
Unfortunately there is not a carbon bike expert in Istanbul. But in my university there is a CT Scan machine, that I can possibly use next week if they can arrange time for me. I have a question, if it is just a paint crack, CT Scan can tell that and is the most convenient way to find ?

Thanks again

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I saw a couple posts on Instagram where the seat stays of the Endurace CF SLX cracked exactly like yours. I know a few cases is just a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of frames that Canyon sells, but it scared me enough that I took that frame/model of my 'wishlist'.

Good luck on getting yours repaired/replaced.

Edit: I found one of those IG posts:
ACA274B7-AF87-4517-B32A-ED1BBD333392.png

gitarist

by gitarist

Here is the last e-mail just coming from Canyon, stating that they are pretty sure that this is an impact, so I'm lying. :?:
Attachments
IMG_4840.PNG
Last edited by gitarist on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris47

by chris47

Get in contact with the canyon ceo. have heard that he is more willing to pull some strings when their customers get pushed around

gitarist

by gitarist

chris47 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Get in contact with the canyon ceo. have heard that he is more willing to pull some strings when their customers get pushed around
Hi chris47,

Here I went lots of local bike shops including big brands authorised services and all of them suprised a lot, how could this be. In contrast to this, Canyon says quite sure, "it is an outside impact, we are trained and know this (and nobody knows) and we can see the damage." But not explainig what they see, just riddle. This know-all attitude with ignoring all the other possibilities is quite rude.

After the scan, if it results just as a paint crack, I wonder what they say ? Then I can get in touch with the canyon CEO about this situation. In fact, even if it is a carbon crack such a strong area, they should want to investigate, why it happened to develop their product.

But I see, they don't care. Just working to prepare lots of new advertisement videos.

Thanks for your support chris47

jasjas

by jasjas

Def worth emailing the CEO, this worked for me and my daughters Aeroad.

btw Canyon say "outside force" not impact, is it possible something was put across the rear triangle when the wheel was out and the bike in your car?

gitarist

by gitarist

jasjas wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

btw Canyon say "outside force" not impact, is it possible something was put across the rear triangle when the wheel was out and the bike in your car?
Hello jasjas, it is not possible, because I carry it on the rear seats putting off both wheels standing up position, I mean not as lying in the baggage.

Also my wheels are type of through axle, so when I put off the wheels, the axles still stand on the bike and protect the back triangle and the fork.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

gitarist wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:40 pm
jasjas wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello jasjas, it is not possible, because I carry it on the rear seats putting off both wheels standing up position, I mean not as lying in the baggage.

Also my wheels are type of through axle, so when I put off the wheels, the axles still stand on the bike and protect the back triangle and the fork.
What happened finally?