Giro Synthe MIPS to non MIPS conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quango2k

by quango2k

Hi all,

as above..has anyone done it?

I just got a MIPS version real cheap in the sales. I am 58.9cm head size and the helmet claims its up to 59cm...but its tight. I tried a non MIPS and it was perfect and as I couldnt care less about MIPS, I wanted to know if I Can remove it.

The clip holes look like they are in the same position, I'm just not 100% sure I can do it. I have emailed Giro, not holding much hope for an answer though.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm sure you could, since the MIPS is just an internal mechanism. I guess you would just need the non-MIPS pads and some backing material to stick them inside the helmet.

Oh, and I wouldn't hold my breath getting any response from Giro, aside from something telling you that modifying your helmet voids the warranty and that MIPS is the latest in safety blah, blah, blah.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quango2k

by quango2k

Thanks, My research shows that the internals are actuall the same. no new pads needed etc as the frame is the same. Its just the MIPS piece that clips between the shell and the rok lok system. I think I will have a go and confirm later :D