Swapping Campag mechanical for EPS - advice needed!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

I'm having some spare time next week to install my EPS groupset. I'll do it in my LBS with the help of the owner, who already installed some eTaps and many Di2s but zero EPS systems, so he told me that I'm free to lay around the shop and use his tools and put the kit together on my own with his help.

I'm preparing myself for the task, albeit a tiny bit nervous I confess. After watching so many youtube videos, one of the biggest doubts that I have for now is how to deal with excess EPS cables inside the frame.

Since we can't cut any cables to the exact measure, how are you arranging them and preventing them from rattle all over inside the frame, when Campag clearly states in the EPS manual that the cables should not be bent together?

Thanks

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

naavt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 am
I'm having some spare time next week to install my EPS groupset. I'll do it in my LBS with the help of the owner, who already installed some eTaps and many Di2s but zero EPS systems, so he told me that I'm free to lay around the shop and use his tools and put the kit together on my own with his help.

I'm preparing myself for the task, albeit a tiny bit nervous I confess. After watching so many youtube videos, one of the biggest doubts that I have for now is how to deal with excess EPS cables inside the frame.

Since we can't cut any cables to the exact measure, how are you arranging them and preventing them from rattle all over inside the frame, when Campag clearly states in the EPS manual that the cables should not be bent together?

Thanks
Its really not a big deal if you've watched the videos on the setup..
Regarding excess cable.. I can tell you some excess cable at the shifters can be tucked into the compartment where you hook up the shifters (I have Aerofly bars with internal routing) I just put whatever excess I could into the small compartment so I have minimal at the DTI interface..
I wouldn't be overly worried about excess internal wiring (I take you are worried about cables rattling around?)... are you doing the battery install in the seatpost? If so , I wrapped some thin foam around the top of the battery and taped it.. reason is all the support for the battery is at the lower end, so I figured if I hit alot rough road, there was no chance for the upper part of the battery to be banging on the internals of the post annoying me...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

Once again... Help needed.

So I've finally got some time to assemble the groupset. I've fiited the battery to the seatpost and pulled all cables out from the BB. One member told me previously that I could pull excess cables to the handlebars, but I find that impossible, due to the lenght of the connector from the DTI interface to the battery itself.

Can anyone tell me how do you arrange for that excess cable inside the frame without it being lose or rattle once in the move? Thanks.

saverin

by saverin

I gathered up the excess cable and bundled it up with a zip tie near the bottom bracket.....unfortunately, I can't remember if I taped the bundle to the inside of the down-tube, or had a zip tie 'tail' hanging out of my BB cable routing access door and secured the zip-tie tail to the frame...see photo for reference

Either way, it has been rattle free and I haven't looked down there since.
Attachments
InkedIMG_20170818_220208_LI.jpg

TonyM

by TonyM

I put all cables in the down tube with some zip ties.
It works fine and no rattle.

Miller

by Miller

EPS cables are thin and light, even worst case they can't make as much rattle as gear or brake housings.

naavt

by naavt

Miller wrote:EPS cables are thin and light, even worst case they can't make as much rattle as gear or brake housings.
I’m wrapping some foam around the connectors. Do you feel that’s unnecessary?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

I don’t have foam just zipties. All ok.

Miller

by Miller

Well, any rattle can be annoying. It seems you won't need to do anything difficult to keep the EPS wires quiet.

naavt

by naavt

This has to be the hardest EPS install EVER!!! A whole afternoon trying to feed the rear derailleur cable through the rear chainstays and nothing!

At one point, the Campy magnet with the cable had just stick to something and I took about 2 hours to get it out of the frame!

There’s space in there, since I’ve managed to pass a whole brake outer through it. Tried to tape the connector to it and pull the outer but they come apart once the “obstacle” is met.

I think I’m going to buy an endoscopic camera on Monday!

For now I'm certain that all things work. Connected the system to My Campy App and the derailleurs work. Nonetheless, the app shows a wrong rear sprocket and front chainrings configuration, even if I’ve filled in the correct ones in the app.

The app shows 52-36 and 11-29 (which I’ve supposed that wasn’t even possible with an EPS groupset) but I'm using an 12-29 cassette. Anyone knows why the app is showing the wrong sprockets?

Another issue is the stiffness increaser. Is it supposed to be installed this way? It just forces the front derailleur to “go out” the frame.

And yet another issue is the chain catcher. Since the derailleur has its own bolt, I can't seem to manage to fit my K-Edge catcher to it!

I really wanted to ride tomorrow but for now the bike is in this mess:

TonyM

by TonyM

The installation of the stiffness increaser is a PITA indeed.
There is on my C60 however no space between the tab and the tube.

For the gears I did it via the settings in the Garmin.

Here a thread BTW:

MyCampy App
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

See my post#15

For the chain catcher I have used the Campy chain catcher. Worked fine.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

The k edge will work but will need to be modified.. search for a thread on here about k edge srm with campagnolo..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=152232&p=1411293&hi ... o#p1411293
Last edited by ParisCarbon on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miller

by Miller

About getting the eps cable through the chainstay, I had that hassle. The catch point for me was quite near the exit hole above the derailleur. So I ran a drill into it. Drill bit diameter was minimum required to equal the eps connector, might have been 7mm. I was super careful not to insert the drill too far, very cautious about that. But it cleared whatever was catching on the cable.

naavt

by naavt

TonyM wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 am
The installation of the stiffness increaser is a PITA indeed.
There is on my C60 however no space between the tab and the tube.

For the gears I did it via the settings in the Garmin.

Here a thread BTW:

MyCampy App
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

See my post#15

For the chain catcher I have used the Campy chain catcher. Worked fine.
Fixed all of those. Thanks for the tip regarding the gears. Have set them up in my Bolt computer. Campy app still shows the wrong gears though. Have bought the Campy catcher from Amazon.