Aero Bikes 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Isn't it more material/ bigger tubes on an aero bike? Seems it could be difficult to get away without some extra weight.
A bit off topic, but anyway. I have Ax new Evo. It weights more, but it's stiffer and reinforced. Also better impact resistance.
I can just imagine an aero bike built after same principle would get a bit more heavy. But in the end, it's preferable.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Isn't it more material/ bigger tubes on an aero bike? Seems it could be difficult to get away without some extra weight.
A bit off topic, but anyway. I have Ax new Evo. It weights more, but it's stiffer and reinforced. Also better impact resistance.
I can just imagine an aero bike built after same principle would get a bit more heavy. But in the end, it's preferable.

Generally yes, but as carbon frames get larger, the smaller diameter tubes on traditional bikes need additional plies to keep their stiffness/rigidity. So that 300-400g difference for size 56cm frame is probably closer to 150-200g for a size 61cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm
corky wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm
Better to spend your money on aero clothing......and lose some weight.

Why not both? Also if you want to be faster on flat ground, it’s better to gain weight and gain power. This is your regular reminder that the A in CdA is a square function and muscle volume is a cubic function.
Bbbbut.... 82% * of your your total aero ness is you, the other 18% is the bike, so better to spend money getting your body aero, losing weight may lead to a smaller frontal area.......

*i may have made that up.

cajer

by cajer

I really don’t understand why people keep on saying to lose weight or get stronger. As a racer I’m already doing all I can on those fronts. With that in mind, I’m not going to avoid any bike gains or switch to a less aero bike. Especially as I’m 125 lbs, I don’t really need any braking improvements from disc brakes.

If you guys remember Stromme cycling, the guys who were CFDing and building their own no holds barred aero road bike on weight weenies, are releasing an aero rim brake bike which should be intresting. Also I hope that the new Felt this year willl have a rim brakes option. Otherwise it’s looking like the Madone SLR, but I’ll need to switch to GXP cranks...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

corky wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Bbbbut.... 82% * of your your total aero ness is you, the other 18% is the bike, so better to spend money getting your body aero, losing weight may lead to a smaller frontal area.......

Or you could have just ignored everything I wrote.

Many of us are already optimizing our apparel choices with speedsuits, velotoze (or lace-up shoes like Empires,) glued on race numbers rather than safety pins, shoulder shrugging, narrow bars, not taping bar tops, etc. Some of us are also in the weight category where weight loss would result in a loss of power. Gaining weight would be beneficial because power increases roughly to ^3 while frontal area only increases ^2.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

The upfated felt ar and foil interest me. Both still have good aero chops. Both will hide cables for some slight gains.... and the ar will get disc of course.

Foil shoul stay light, felt will likely stay near/at the top for aero

corky

by corky

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 pm
corky wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Or you could have just ignored everything I wrote.

Many of us are already optimizing our apparel choices with speedsuits, velotoze (or lace-up shoes like Empires,) glued on race numbers rather than safety pins, shoulder shrugging, narrow bars, not taping bar tops, etc. Some of us are also in the weight category where weight loss would result in a loss of power. Gaining weight would be beneficial because power increases roughly to ^3 while frontal area only increases ^2.
....... oh I give up.....