Aero Bikes 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, a bike that does everything well, will never do one thing best. There will always be specialized niche bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taodemon

by taodemon

The 3T wasn't particularly light especially considering it should have cut some weight going 1x. Most of the new models from the big brands seem to be coming in lighter than the Strada while still using 2x.

boots2000

by boots2000

New Ventum NS1 looks nice!
https://ventumracing.com/bikes/road/

romanmoser

by romanmoser

yes
but 1 piece cokcpit and not narrow handlebar for the longer stem , reducing frontal surface is aero

but they would have to produce too many versions short stem narrow handlebar , long stem narrow handlebar , short stem wide handlebar , long stem wide handlebar

itsacarr

by itsacarr

That ventum does indeed look nice. Curious as to who produces it for them or how much is their design. Geo looks decent with solid tire cleareance.
Just ride ..

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

$10k+ the Ventum. Yeah, what? Half the price of a VW Jetta Premium car...come on. Absurd bike prices as usual. When a 4-5yr old Scott Foil is still about as aero and still/light as anything today? Well, it looks like of cool, but paints colors suck. Kind of a hybrid Aeroad, Venge whatever aero kind of thing that is out with all manufacturers. Specs are pretty impressive.

I'll just wait a few more years for all of these newer aero frames to start showing up on eBay at a huge discount along with disc/electronic setups. None of these really impress me over my 2014 Scott Foil 15 with DA Di2, Quarq PM, Pro cockpit, Far/Near rim brakes and two diff sets of wheels, climbing/flat I've been running for 3+yrs now.

More the person on the bike than the bike since 80% of drag is the person, not the bike/helmet/wheels/frame etc..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

why compare 2014 to 2019... makes no sense...

best comparsion or most fair would be just to look at framesets.. 5K for a ventum and about 3500 for a Scott foil disc... so the real difference is about $1500.

Scott - you get a seatpost
Ventum - you get bars +stem.. so it might even be less then 1500 difference.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

robeambro

by robeambro

^ this, and why do people with either old or non aero bikes (or both) always feel the need to point out that they have the leg and the position so they can go just as fast..

cajer

by cajer

Do we think anyone is coming out with a new top of the line rim brakes aero road bike this year? I have a Cervelo S5 from 2012 and am not quite ready to give up rim braking, especially as after comparing the tour wind tunnel tests it looks like I might get slower going to a new disc brakes aero road bike!

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

cajer wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 am
Do we think anyone is coming out with a new top of the line rim brakes aero road bike this year? I have a Cervelo S5 from 2012 and am not quite ready to give up rim braking, especially as after comparing the tour wind tunnel tests it looks like I might get slower going to a new disc brakes aero road bike!
Cannondale Supersix Evo
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

dricked

by dricked

Pretty sure Cervelo has said their disc brake bikes are more aero than the rim brake.

corky

by corky

Better to spend your money on aero clothing......and lose some weight.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

dricked wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:26 pm
Pretty sure Cervelo has said their disc brake bikes are more aero than the rim brake.
rim brakes are quicker according to most in the know (aerocoach amongst others). the biggest influence on the aero is as others have said, the riders position and clothing. most aerobikes nowadays with discs are a fair bit heavier than the rim equivalents. i'd rather ride rim brakes as well so i am a bit biased.

dricked

by dricked

The 2018 S3 disc brake bike is 2w faster than the rim brake, not much but it isn’t slower. :noidea:

Also “While the S5 grabbed all the headlines, the S3 is actually more interesting because the company claims to have made even bigger aero savings, reducing drag by 13 watts with the new S3 Disc compared to the previous version, and 7 watts for the new rim brake model. That compares to a 5 watt reduction on the S5.”

No direct comparison but if the S3 disc was already 2w faster my math tells me it’s now 8w faster for 2019.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

corky wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm
Better to spend your money on aero clothing......and lose some weight.

Why not both? Also if you want to be faster on flat ground, it’s better to gain weight and gain power. This is your regular reminder that the A in CdA is a square function and muscle volume is a cubic function.