Power Meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yefimovich

by yefimovich

Trying to find the best option for me ( I want to get one - have a feeling it will consistantly help me with traning), my options:

**STAGES CYCLING G3 POWER L SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 POWER METER

**GARMIN VECTOR 3S SINGLE SIDED POWER METER PEDALS

** INFO CRANK

Would love to hear your opions :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have a garmin vectra 3s. Upgrade later for dual sided if you wish, or do as i will do an get a set of expedo thrust sl ti pedals and save 76g by swapping the non-power side. Same cleats, same float, same stack height, same q factor.

Most reviews use the vectra pedals as a gold standard to compare/eval other power meters.

If you got the right side vectra pedal only (you can get it alone as an upgrade), i might be willing to split on the xpedo as i would need the right, you would need the left.

73Bronco

by 73Bronco

Stages works fine for me and they currently have a good sale going on. I have heard good things about the garmin's pedals, but I like my shimano cleats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

Is the Favero Assioma out for any reason? Simply a killer product.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think the chain ring spider based power meters are the best unless you are low on money or have multiple bikes.

-Pedal based have PMs have minor issues. You're tied into Look type cleats that are usually proprietary (if you want the to work well) that are tall, hard to walk in and have sometimes high stack height and sometimes side bulges that give you odd q factor or possibly light foot rub and well generally they're just not as good as a simple pair of Dura-Ace pedals and cleats in terms of durability and function.

-Crank based PMs only make economical sense when single sided, however then they aren't super accurate. Dual sided are much more accurate but then the price is higher so you might as well have a chain ring spider based PM. Stages have had many issues with inaccuracy and unsatisfied customers, but there are cheaper options with a better reputation.

Chain ring spider based systems look cleaner and seem less bothered by weather and generally more reliable. I bet in the next few months there will be many more chain ring spider based options to rival Quark and P2max.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:50 am
I think the chain ring spider based power meters are the best unless you are low on money or have multiple bikes.

-Pedal based have PMs have minor issues. You're tied into Look type cleats that are usually proprietary (if you want the to work well) that are tall, hard to walk in and have sometimes high stack height and sometimes side bulges that give you odd q factor or possibly light foot rub and well generally they're just not as good as a simple pair of Dura-Ace pedals and cleats in terms of durability and function.

Yes, the Assiomas and P1s work best with the Xpedo cleats and work simply "OK" with the real KeO cleats. No the cleats themselves don't have an unusually tall stack height. As for the pedal bodies.

Q-Factors:
KeO Blade = 53mm
Vector 3 = 53mm
P1 = 53mm
Assioma = 54mm
Ultegra = 52mm
Dura-Ace = 52mm

Stack:
Vector 3 = 12mm
P1 = 14mm
Assioma = 10.5mm
Ultegra = 10.7mm
Dura-Ace = 8.8mm
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlok

by jlok

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 pm
I have a garmin vectra 3s. Upgrade later for dual sided if you wish, or do as i will do an get a set of expedo thrust sl ti pedals and save 76g by swapping the non-power side. Same cleats, same float, same stack height, same q factor.

Most reviews use the vectra pedals as a gold standard to compare/eval other power meters.

If you got the right side vectra pedal only (you can get it alone as an upgrade), i might be willing to split on the xpedo as i would need the right, you would need the left.
Did you experience the battery cover problem? Judging from the response in Garmin forum it seems the problem is finally solved.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don’t have any issues with CR1/3N batteries and the new covers. In fact, the CR1/3N batteries last freaking forever...at least the Energizer and Duracell ones do.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Vector 2 on Tri bike
Stages on All-Road Bike
Vector 3 on Future Aero road bike

New battery doors have been fine... Tobin is right about the batteries, name brand will last longer. I just got some of those thick single batteries.. will try those next time.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

imunwired

by imunwired

I have Vector 3 dual sided. My right constantly “drops out” or is missing on start. Do a search on it and it seems I am not the only one. I think there may be some unresolved issues. It is very annoying.

I have a new build going on now and I am moving away from pedal power meters entirely. Not sure what I am going to move to yet.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

imunwired wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 am
I have Vector 3 dual sided. My right constantly “drops out” or is missing on start. Do a search on it and it seems I am not the only one. I think there may be some unresolved issues. It is very annoying.

I have a new build going on now and I am moving away from pedal power meters entirely. Not sure what I am going to move to yet.
That's a battery door/ contact issue. You are in the minority now... you should be in discussions with Garmin for either new doors or new pedals. I was sent doors first then eventually new pedals.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you are buying a PM for the first time, my advice to you is spend the money for a crank spider based PM. Crank spider based PMs are proven and have the best reliability track record. I'm talking about SRM, Quarq, and P2Max. A PM is a precision instrument. You will be glad to get something that is reliable and accurate. Just don't cheap out. This is something that can last a long time and you may switch it to a new bike, etc.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
If you are buying a PM for the first time, my advice to you is spend the money for a crank spider based PM. Crank spider based PMs are proven and have the best reliability track record. I'm talking about SRM, Quarq, and P2Max. A PM is a precision instrument. You will be glad to get something that is reliable and accurate. Just don't cheap out. This is something that can last a long time and you may switch it to a new bike, etc.
I would respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the biggest benefit in training is achieved when moving from non-power based to power based training. The incremental value of slightly more precise or accurate, single sided or dual sided, or any other more advanced feature is small (if there is value at all). At this point in time at the end of 2018 most options are 'good'.

To the OP, get what you can afford, don't sweat the details on bells and whistles, and think about practical issues (multiple bikes, etc.). And good luck, power based training is a big step up!

shotgun

by shotgun

I've used hub based (power tap), pedal (vector 2s) and now have moved to left crank based (stages v2 and v3). I'm not gunning for podium, but I'd like to put context to my traing and the stages fit the bill. Besides, this is WW right? ;)
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I'm looking at a Quarq for the cross bike and either another Quarq or Pioneer for the roadie.

Pedal based doesnt work too well for the cross bike when running egg beaters and left arm crank sensors dont fit between the crank and chainstay.

Pioneer would go on the road bike no problem.

That's a long winded way to say evaluate your requirements and make a short list from there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com