Smart trainer or the new Elite Nero (roller)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Just check you can do the kind of sessions you want to do on the rollers; some will not give you the resistance you need to do workouts at tempo and above.
Some people find that the added interest of having to balance helps them do better/longer/harder sessions.
Other people find that they prefer a turbo where you can focus purely on physical effort.

In an ideal world you would have access to both as they are different tools, but if you can only have one and need to be fit for next year I'd get a turbo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fiber

by fiber

Is someone still using their smart rollers, Elite Nero in particular? How about Zwiting and how about combining rollers and a direct drive trainer?

I've got a pair of dumb rollers (plus Favero Assioma Duo) but I find myself avoiding them and using only my Elite Direto DD when indoors. Maybe Elite Nero would be of help in developing those smaller muscles that the stationary trainer omits.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

fiber wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:31 pm
Is someone still using their smart rollers, Elite Nero in particular? How about Zwiting and how about combining rollers and a direct drive trainer?

I've got a pair of dumb rollers (plus Favero Assioma Duo) but I find myself avoiding them and using only my Elite Direto DD when indoors. Maybe Elite Nero would be of help in developing those smaller muscles that the stationary trainer omits.
I use a Nero for that same reason, almost all of my TrainerRoad sessions are on it, is very cool, it keeps you MTB sharp, like a cat.
And since is parabolic, is quite safe... it doesn't shoot you of the side.

The double flywheels actually give it a much better "road" feeling than all the other rollers out there.

Do bear in mind, violent upright sprinting is a no-go, the damned thing wants to fold itself shut if you burst a sprint out of nowhere, for that you just go outside and do a couple of laps on a secluded road, and when possible leg day at the gym.
With practice you can pull a few civilized sprints on it, no issues, or even climbing out of the saddle on the Nero it's OK.

It's not silent at all, though.

all in all it's fun, i keep using mine, and i'm not thinking on getting a static trainer.

fiber

by fiber

Thanks, Raimundo.

As out-of-the-saddle sprinting goes ok'ish with my traditional (non-parabolic) trainers too, I expect it being even easier on Elite Nero - but I know, racing/sprinting is not the thing rollers are for or best at.

Trainer/roller noise, music, sweat smell... no problem! I happen to have a "tool shed" / separate building for cycling.
Only that it seems Nero is not a budget solution, especially as I already own 3x stationary trainers and 1x rollers.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

fiber wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 am
Thanks, Raimundo.

As out-of-the-saddle sprinting goes ok'ish with my traditional (non-parabolic) trainers too, I expect it being even easier on Elite Nero - but I know, racing/sprinting is not the thing rollers are for or best at.

Trainer/roller noise, music, sweat smell... no problem! I happen to have a "tool shed" / separate building for cycling.
Only that it seems Nero is not a budget solution, especially as I already own 3x stationary trainers and 1x rollers.
You're welcome, i believe the cost is highish for a set rollers because it actually does what i says in the box. (I do shop around to get the best prices though) If you compare it to the regular "Quick Motion" rollers from Elite, you do have all the electronics that allows it to be a Smart Trainer ant+ BLE, adaptative power control and of course those flywheels on top of it... but with all those trainers you have, i would probably be second guessing it also.

RDY

by RDY

Bought a Nero. Should arrive in the next couple of days. I've had an Elite Tuo (did not like) and a TacX Neo 2 (better but still not a fan) before, and just can't deal with the extremely static position, either mentally or physically.

It's probably a bad time to buy the Nero, in so far as it's due an update, and Elite will definitely update before or after the Wahoo rollers launch anyway. But the price I got was pretty good, and I want / need something now.

I suspect the market is going to swing back quite a bit towards rollers, with the Wahoo, a Nero Mk 2, and competing products.

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:24 pm
Bought a Nero. Should arrive in the next couple of days. I've had an Elite Tuo (did not like) and a TacX Neo 2 (better but still not a fan) before, and just can't deal with the extremely static position, either mentally or physically.

It's probably a bad time to buy the Nero, in so far as it's due an update, and Elite will definitely update before or after the Wahoo rollers launch anyway. But the price I got was pretty good, and I want / need something now.

I suspect the market is going to swing back quite a bit towards rollers, with the Wahoo, a Nero Mk 2, and competing products.
Tried it out for about 10 minutes last night. After the usual battle to understand Elite's crappy instructions, it took me about 5 minutes to get fairly stable and confident on it - I just put it next to a wall on my right side, and used my elbow to stabilise myself if I needed it. Thereafter for the next 5 minutes I only needed to do so a couple of times. I found it much easier to keep the bike tracking straight on the drops. But that may be because I have my hoods canted very aggressively inwards (probably equivalent to ~37cm bar with them in a straight position).

I've never used rollers before, but whilst you definitely need to concentrate, I'd say my initial impression is that they're pretty easy to use.

robeambro

by robeambro

RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am
RDY wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Tried it out for about 10 minutes last night. After the usual battle to understand Elite's crappy instructions, it took me about 5 minutes to get fairly stable and confident on it - I just put it next to a wall on my right side, and used my elbow to stabilise myself if I needed it. Thereafter for the next 5 minutes I only needed to do so a couple of times. I found it much easier to keep the bike tracking straight on the drops. But that may be because I have my hoods canted very aggressively inwards (probably equivalent to ~37cm bar with them in a straight position).

I've never used rollers before, but whilst you definitely need to concentrate, I'd say my initial impression is that they're pretty easy to use.
sorry for resurrecting - was wondering if you're still using the Nero, what's your thoughts and all?
Also, I do wonder whether the Nero mk2 or the Rollr are now due to be launched?

RDY

by RDY

I think it's great. Beats the boredom and uncomfortable static position of a conventional trainer any day.

But even if you're pro on rollers, you'll never be able to compete for power and sustained efforts with those on static trainers, if Zwift racing or times are important to you.

Also, yeah, I'm sure it'll get significantly updated once the Rollr is out or spec finalised.

robeambro

by robeambro

RDY wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:54 pm
I think it's great. Beats the boredom and uncomfortable static position of a conventional trainer any day.

But even if you're pro on rollers, you'll never be able to compete for power and sustained efforts with those on static trainers, if Zwift racing or times are important to you.

Also, yeah, I'm sure it'll get significantly updated once the Rollr is out or spec finalised.
Thanks - to be honest if I do decide to go for the Nero it would be for endless endurance and maybe tempo rides - I would probably delete Zwift and go for something like Rouvy or whatever.

After a better look at the Rollr I am not sure it would be something I want - it would most likely have the bad sides of wheel-off trainers (static position) coupled with the bad sides of wheel-on trainers (lower power accuracy and resistance capability, potentially need to swap wheel/tyre).

MartinHnik

by MartinHnik

I would add my experience. The question is do you want rollers because you really want rollers or do you want Nero because is cheaper than let's say Kickr. I've been there. I bought the Feedback Omnium rollers with resistance (fixed front wheel so not exactly same as the Nero). It's perfect for it's purpose (traveling or pre-race warmup), I cannot blame the product at all, but I ended up buying Kickr one year later anyway. Regular trainer is just way better for TR, Zwift or RGT.

robeambro

by robeambro

MartinHnik wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:35 am
I would add my experience. The question is do you want rollers because you really want rollers or do you want Nero because is cheaper than let's say Kickr. I've been there. I bought the Feedback Omnium rollers with resistance (fixed front wheel so not exactly same as the Nero). It's perfect for it's purpose (traveling or pre-race warmup), I cannot blame the product at all, but I ended up buying Kickr one year later anyway. Regular trainer is just way better for TR, Zwift or RGT.
I have a Kickr Core, and my left side aches everywhere as the freewheel doesn't allow any rocking to that side.
I never, ever, do intervals or any structured training indoor as it just does not work for me. Fully aware that Zwift races are not the same, but at least I am always happy to race, and ultimately I'm not getting paid to pedal, so I choose what I like.

It is very much possible that a wheel-off trainer with in-built rocking (e.g. Neo or Kickr V5) will at least alleviate the issues I am having. But since I don't do structured training, I was pondering whether going for the Nero would be best.

MartinHnik

by MartinHnik

I wouldn't say the V5 I ended up with has significant side rocking. There is some play but that's it. If you already have Core the Nero might be fun.

robeambro

by robeambro

MartinHnik wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am
I wouldn't say the V5 I ended up with has significant side rocking. There is some play but that's it. If you already have Core the Nero might be fun.
I see, thanks. I think that then the only wheel-on trainer that rocks enough is the Kurt Kinetic one. But I've never heard of anyone actually using it and it doesn't appear to be available anywhere, so I don't quite want to take the plunge.

Ultimately, if I stop Zwift racing and relegate my indoor activities to either endurance rides or longer intervals, I don't see huge downsides to the Nero. Like, if I'm coasting at 170w for three hours, or doing a set of 10m 300w intervals (random numbers here) I don't see how the Nero could hold me back much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MartinHnik

by MartinHnik

I think your are right on this. Rollers might hold you back during ramp tests, short max intervals, racing. Have fun!