Rotor 3D+ w/ Power2Max on a SRAM PF30 BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Good evening,

I want to install a Rotor 3D+ crankset with Power2Max powermeter on a bike with a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket. According to the manual on the Rotor website and the manual that actually came with the crankset, the PF30 bottom bracket is compatible with the crankset. It says that I have to use a 11,5mm spacer on both sides and on the non-drivetrain side i also have to use a 0,5mm washer between the preload adjuster and the aformentioned 11,5mm spacer.

The problem is, that when I use this setup and tighten the bolt on the drivetrain side to the suggested 35-40nM it seems that the crankset is too tight and won't move as freely as I want it to. The preload adjuster is completely open (i.e. out on the crankarm) and even if I remove the 0,5mm washer it's almost the same. I have the feeling, that I can't tighten it to more than 6-8nM without it getting kind of stuck. If I tighten the crankset only this firmly, it starts to creak though.

Can anyone help me out. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

floriansantana wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Good evening,

I want to install a Rotor 3D+ crankset with Power2Max powermeter on a bike with a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket. According to the manual on the Rotor website and the manual that actually came with the crankset, the PF30 bottom bracket is compatible with the crankset. It says that I have to use a 11,5mm spacer on both sides and on the non-drivetrain side i also have to use a 0,5mm washer between the preload adjuster and the aformentioned 11,5mm spacer.

The problem is, that when I use this setup and tighten the bolt on the drivetrain side to the suggested 35-40nM it seems that the crankset is too tight and won't move as freely as I want it to. The preload adjuster is completely open (i.e. out on the crankarm) and even if I remove the 0,5mm washer it's almost the same. I have the feeling, that I can't tighten it to more than 6-8nM without it getting kind of stuck. If I tighten the crankset only this firmly, it starts to creak though.

Can anyone help me out. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
You may need thinner bearing shields. I had to ditch the 0.5 mm spacer and go to a thin bearing shield on both sides to prevent mine from binding.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Or simply file a bit one of the aluminium spacers.
I did it on the drive side to improve chainline on my bb-right frame.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

So you mean, that I buy a spacer with 10mm and exchange one of the 11,5mm with it to win 1,5mm? That could work, thanks!
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Specifically the nondrive side.