Campagnolo Potenza vs Shimano R7000/R8000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nachetetm

by nachetetm

I didn't try Ultegra 8000 yet, but compared with 6800 there is no color; Potenza feels much better and it is also less rumorous. Chainring changes are probably the only aspect where Shimano is a tiny bit better. And If Potenza is a bit too expensive, Centaur should work almost as well while being cheaper. My only problem with Potenza is that the levers have a bit of play, not feeling as solid as I would like, and that mechanics are not really familiar with Campy so finding a good one and with all the necessary tools is a bit tricky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

The Potenza front shift is really good.

What's the big deal about setting up a Campag group? Get the cable runs done nicely and I don't see how a sentient human can mess it up, there's no magic. Tools, 10mm AK for the UT centre bolt and that's about it. You can avoid the entire chain issue by swapping in a removable link although somehow I have installed many 11sp Campag chains without needing the beautiful but expensive chain tool.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Miller wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 pm

What's the big deal about setting up a Campag group? Get the cable runs done nicely and I don't see how a sentient human can mess it up, there's no magic. Tools, 10mm AK for the UT centre bolt and that's about it. You can avoid the entire chain issue by swapping in a removable link although somehow I have installed many 11sp Campag chains without needing the beautiful but expensive chain tool.
I always laugh every time I hear the line that someone needs to find a mechanic with Campy experience. It's hardly different from setting up any other group, and all it requires is following a very basic instruction manual. I could manage it easily and I'm terrible at doing my own mechanical work.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

I've got Potenza Hydro Disc gruppo and I'm pretty happy with it.

I used Ultegra R8070 mechanical disc and Di2 disc earlier this year for a few days and prefer Potenza. I was surprised to actually prefer Ultegra mechanical to Di2 though. The Di2 button ergonomics aren't great in my opinion.

Regarding the Campag chain, I just put an 11sp KMC chain on instead and sold the Potenza chain. Whilst I love Campag to use, they certainly take the **** when it comes to overpriced proprietary tools.

flying

by flying

morrisond wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm glad you got it!

It's not materially heavier (about 100grams I believe) than 12sp Record -

HO has the same Master Cylinders and Calipers as SR 11sp and 12sp - if you want better bearings - spend about $100-150 and swap in SR Pulleys and crank bearings!

In fact I saw that Merlin deal and may end up picking up another Potenza group myself for an a Rim braked Steel frame I have hanging on the wall.

Have fun!
Thanks & I agree!

I am really looking forward to see this when I get home in January
Riding in Northern Thailand right now & had it sent home

On the weight I know it is WW & I have been here a long time & enjoyed
some nice light bikes...but these days yes a little weight but great reliability is appreciated.

Also as a home Barista once I realized 200grams is a tiny 8oz coffee without the cup
I kind of relaxed a bunch on weight :lol: :lol:

I dont know about master cylinders as I bought the rim brake model :thumbup:

Glad to hear you like the Potenza setup on your gravel bike too!
Thanks!

cveks

by cveks

I have Campagnolo Potenza on Colnago C60 bike

And I must tell you - it works great.

Very smooth operation, very ergonomical

I recommend Potenza...

flying

by flying

cveks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:49 am
I have Campagnolo Potenza on Colnago C60 bike

And I must tell you - it works great.

Very smooth operation, very ergonomical

I recommend Potenza...
Happy to hear the Positive Feedback! :thumbup:

Thanks

cveks

by cveks

flying wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:20 am
If only Potenza had Ultra-Shift and not Power-Shift, it might make more sense. If you're thinking the price jump from R7000 to R8000 isn't worth it, I'm not sure how Potenza is even on the radar other than if you like the aesthetics.
Thanks about the Ultra vs power shift..Now Potenza has the drooped thumb tab so is the only complaint a single gear drop per click?
If so that is not a prob for me. The old Chorus I had was the same & I could snap multi downshifts plenty quick.

As for the R7000 vs R8000 it is not about price for me...It is about what is gained other than a small weight savings between the two. Then to that yes I also think as I said the R7000 color is better more uniform

Do you have any of these groups? Do you think the R8000 offers a large mech improvement over the R7000?
Would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks
That click on Potenza shifters is so smooth and easy that you can easily do two gears up with two fast clicks . Much easier click than on my Super Record

Also what I like with Potenza , you get exotic and unique look of your bike.

Every guy who don't know anything about cycling , or just starts into it, rides on Ultegra these days....

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Another vote for Potenza. I prefer it over my DA 9000 groupset, except for front shifting. It’s not as fluid as Shimano. Patiently waiting on 12 speed EPS.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

flying

by flying

Well those are good recommends Thanks :beerchug:

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I just bought the r8000 for my winterbike.

Deep inside I feel a little shame of all the groups i have had/have, witch cost 3-4 times as much. Athena eps, New DA di2, sr mech, etap and so on.

It’s really good haha :shock: :D

nachetetm

by nachetetm

raisinberry777 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Miller wrote:

I always laugh every time I hear the line that someone needs to find a mechanic with Campy experience. It's hardly different from setting up any other group, and all it requires is following a very basic instruction manual. I could manage it easily and I'm terrible at doing my own mechanical work.
And still, the first two mechanics that touched my Potenza front derailleur didn't manage to make it work properly. The third one was a bit concerned (according to him they almost never see a Campy bike, maybe one in a hundred he said) but nailed the job. Tbh I think a good mechanic will do marvels with any groupset, but those that are not so good still can do a decent job with Shimano groupsets just because they are used to work with them.

Regarding the chain I use KMC quick links, although Campy claims that this will void the guarantee. But replacing crankset bearings is not so easy and to my knowledge it requires specialized tools that few mechanics own.

cveks

by cveks

nachetetm wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 am
raisinberry777 wrote:
Miller wrote:

And still, the first two mechanics that touched my Potenza front derailleur didn't manage to make it work properly. The third one was a bit concerned (according to him they almost never see a Campy bike, maybe one in a hundred he said) but nailed the job. Tbh I think a good mechanic will do marvels with any groupset, but those that are not so good still can do a decent job with Shimano groupsets just because they are used to work with them.

Regarding the chain I use KMC quick links, although Campy claims that this will void the guarantee. But replacing crankset bearings is not so easy and to my knowledge it requires specialized tools that few mechanics own.
I had same problem with my mechanics . He did not know how to adjust front derailleur . Than I found instructions on google, I bought adjustment tool , than everything was ok.

https://youtu.be/Y_1pkG2XfT0

Folllow up this video

Once you setup it correctly it works as charm.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

nachetetm wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 am
raisinberry777 wrote:
And still, the first two mechanics that touched my Potenza front derailleur didn't manage to make it work properly. The third one was a bit concerned (according to him they almost never see a Campy bike, maybe one in a hundred he said) but nailed the job.
I think that's the main thing for this level of work, attitude not experience. If the third mechanic was concerned, it's because he cares about doing a good job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i have a few groupsets: DA 9000/R8000 mix, Ultegra 6800, R8050 (Di2), 105 5800/R8000 mix, Campag SR EPS.

I recently tried a demo bike with R7000 (cable disc brake with TRP HYRD), fresh out of the box, no one else rode it before. i was totally totally totally blown away by the R7000. the shift quality is miles ahead of 5800, and in fact i place it above 6800 in terms of shifter clicks. it was nearly as good as my DA 9000. but im not just not a big fan of big cassette and long cage dereailier
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen: