What do you think of the chain wax?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Calnago

by Calnago

Please, no PM’s. Unless you want to cry to the mods that I’m cyber bullying you or something.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Please @Calnago stop.
You can clearly see he has experience of the products so I cannot understand why you keep arguing about it. Of course everyone has their own user experience and everyone should respect that.

Please get back to topic.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

by Weenie

mag

by mag

Speaking of the Duomonde Tech and NixFrixShun stuff - these are unfortunately not available outside the US much. It's possible to order them directly from the respective companies (but only the Pro X stuff from the Duomonde Tech), but it isn't really worth it due to shipping costs and import duties and taxes.

I remember that I looked at the NFS stuff sometime in the past as I really wanted to try it, but decided against it in the end (for the above mentioned reasons).

The Silca branded NFS stuff was available in the EU from time to time, but the availability isn't really stable.

So I'm sticking with the Morgan Blue Race Oil for now (but I don't like its smell much :-D ) and waiting for the Rex Domestique Lube (purchased on sale) to arrive. That will hopefully work better than Squirt or Smoove regarding the drivetrain cleanliness. I'd very much prefer some biodegradable stuff, but will give the Rex a try to see how it performs at least. The problem with those biodegradable products is that they perform very poorly which is unfortunate.

Molten Speed Wax is not an option because I'm running Campy (no easily removable chain).

But I use a simple paraffin wax on my skis which works reasonably well in those conditions. :-)

markdjr

by markdjr

Very happy with Molten speed wax, not nearly as big of a pita as I expected. I use wend colored wax over the top of it for some bling.

Asphalt70

by Asphalt70

My theory:
When I apply paraffin mixed wax to the chain by hand, I use a heat gun for a few sec's on chain, and wax sucks right into the center of the chain. No, need to take the chain of the bike all the time and use alot of chemicals.
I believe that lube and wax works its way from center and out, when riding. Not the oposit way - as long as the chain is well lubricated/waxed.
The outside can easily be cleaned with rag and brush.
What do you guys think?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A3003 med Tapatalk

JeffK

by JeffK

Very interesting idea using a heat gun to apply hard wax. I am going to have to try that!

I have been using Molten Speed Wax all year and really like the results. I have a few spare chains so I just do a batch at a time, them swap chains as the wax wears out. I recently bought a bottle of squirt to try and it seems to work well too. Nice and clean. I am going to use Squirt to keep my current chain lubed for indoor training over the winter and see how it does.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JeffK wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm
Very interesting idea using a heat gun to apply hard wax. I am going to have to try that!

I have been using Molten Speed Wax all year and really like the results. I have a few spare chains so I just do a batch at a time, them swap chains as the wax wears out. I recently bought a bottle of squirt to try and it seems to work well too. Nice and clean. I am going to use Squirt to keep my current chain lubed for indoor training over the winter and see how it does.
Squirt will fling semi-solid black / dark gray pellets in a line from your bottom bracket to just behind your trainer. It’s not worth the hassle even if you are using a trainer mat. When riding a bike indoors, there is pretty much no grit that can contaminate the pins/rollers and cause excessive chain wear, so you can just use the lightest dry lube possible like Rock’n’Roll Absolute Dry or Gold. If you are leaving the bike on the trainer all winter, I suggest getting a second chain and using that with RnR indoors for several seasons...it should last a very long time.

Case in point, I have something like 400 hours or the equivalent of 8000mi on my spare/indoor bike’s chain and it still hasn’t come close to 0.5% wear. I probably get 40-50 hours of riding per relube indoors...it’s really quite an unchallenging environment.

brackc

by brackc

Asphalt70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm
My theory:
When I apply paraffin mixed wax to the chain by hand, I use a heat gun for a few sec's on chain, and wax sucks right into the center of the chain. No, need to take the chain of the bike all the time and use alot of chemicals.
I believe that lube and wax works its way from center and out, when riding. Not the oposit way - as long as the chain is well lubricated/waxed.
What do you guys think?

personally I think it's a bit silly and you'd be better off using a wax emulsion like squirt or smoove for on the bike applications. Both work pretty well, assuming you apply them properly!
The point of using a solid wax is it chemically adheres to the chain, think of it as forming a " tough skin" around the rollers / pins on the chain, rather than a lube where you're filling the gap with a liquid lubricant. The recommended temperature for this to occur is 90°C, which means getting the chain to this temperature as well. I personally wouldn't be comfortable applying this much heat with the chain on the bike, plus you'd make a huge mess from the excess wax dripping through!

On the subject of indoor trainer bikes, yeah it's not very challenging environment, but the bike will still pick up any airborne dust. Keeping the room dust-free with a dry-lube should get you fantastic results, even more so if every 2000-3000 kms or so you do a 'proper' solvent clean to reset whatever contamination has been building up in the chain.

Asphalt70

by Asphalt70

brackc wrote:
Asphalt70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm
My theory:
What do you guys think?

personally I think it's a bit silly and you'd be better off using a wax emulsion like squirt or smoove for on the bike applications. Both work pretty well, assuming you apply them properly!
The point of using a solid wax is it chemically adheres to the chain, think of it as forming a " tough skin" around the rollers / pins on the chain, rather than a lube where you're filling the gap with a liquid lubricant. The recommended temperature for this to occur is 90°C, which means getting the chain to this temperature as well. I personally wouldn't be comfortable applying this much heat with the chain on the bike, plus you'd make a huge mess from the excess wax dripping through!

On the subject of indoor trainer bikes, yeah it's not very challenging environment, but the bike will still pick up any airborne dust. Keeping the room dust-free with a dry-lube should get you fantastic results, even more so if every 2000-3000 kms or so you do a 'proper' solvent clean to reset whatever contamination has been building up in the chain.
This is my normal procedure, for quickly adding hard wax without removing the chain.
1) Heat to the wax is making it suck into excactly where we wont it. Temperature needs to be way lower then 90°C, more like 40°C
2) Depending how on you apply the hard wax, not much exces wax will be spilled.

The wax we made by ourself.
It seems to hold up longer then Squirt.
Next, I will test it in the wet cold Scandinavian winter.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m not sure I’d use wax in a Scandinavian winter climate. Even though it’s not an emulsion and already solid, paraffin gets more brittle and less lubricious when in freezing temps. It’s also not very good as a surface protectant against corrosion after one medium length ride.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mag wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:47 pm
Speaking of the Duomonde Tech and NixFrixShun stuff - these are unfortunately not available outside the US much. It's possible to order them directly from the respective companies (but only the Pro X stuff from the Duomonde Tech), but it isn't really worth it due to shipping costs and import duties and taxes.

I remember that I looked at the NFS stuff sometime in the past as I really wanted to try it, but decided against it in the end (for the above mentioned reasons).

The Silca branded NFS stuff was available in the EU from time to time, but the availability isn't really stable.

So I'm sticking with the Morgan Blue Race Oil for now (but I don't like its smell much :-D ) and waiting for the Rex Domestique Lube (purchased on sale) to arrive. That will hopefully work better than Squirt or Smoove regarding the drivetrain cleanliness. I'd very much prefer some biodegradable stuff, but will give the Rex a try to see how it performs at least. The problem with those biodegradable products is that they perform very poorly which is unfortunate.

Molten Speed Wax is not an option because I'm running Campy (no easily removable chain).

But I use a simple paraffin wax on my skis which works reasonably well in those conditions. :-)
I have two bottles of NixFrix and to be honest, i am not impressed at all.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

WRT waxing, my bigger crockpot only gets up to around 80C with a load of chains in it. brackc, does it really have to get to around 90C to get proper adhesion? I've actually gotten in the habit of pulling the chains out when the temperature gets down to around 60C because when I was pulling them out at 80C, the links weren't that stiff after drying...seemed like a lot of wax was just flowing out from between the pins/rollers.

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:07 am

I have two bottles of NixFrix and to be honest, i am not impressed at all.

It's a fairly viscous oil. A little goes a very long way, but yeah it gets quite dirty after a couple rides. I think it performs pretty admirably in mixed weather conditions, but if you tend to ride primarily in fair weather, stick to dry lubes, Squirt/Smoove, etc.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There is nothing special about NixFrix IMO. I wouldn't even mention this as an example of interesting chain lubes.
I prefer lubes that won't attract to much particles (larger or smaller).
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 pm
There is nothing special about NixFrix IMO. I wouldn't even mention this as an example of interesting chain lubes.
I prefer lubes that won't attract to much particles (larger or smaller).
Really? I have had a very different experience with NFS. If you follow their suggestion and lightly wipe the chain side plates every other ride, the chain stays very clean. I also find it holds up very well in wet weather. I have had times when maintenance wasn't a priority and have been able to get in a number consecutive rides in the rain and the chain stays well lubricated with nary a squeak.

To each their own I suppose.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

To be honest, if you use little of whatever bike oil (almost anyway), you get the same results.
Or way around, what is it then that makes NixFrix something special compared to rows and rows of more or less same?
(Nothing is the answer ;-)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

by Weenie