What do you think of the chain wax?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

F45 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:00 pm
Smoove. Works for a long time on my mountain bike (dry, dusty conditions). Haven't tried it on the road bike yet though.
Yes Smoove, where following the instructions results in a coating of slurry all over the chain, full of dirt particles to grind your drivetrain into dust. Highly recommend.
Not my experience. You probably applied it over your old, dirty lube/filthy chain and had less than adequate results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I semi-agree with the sentiment that Smoove’s recommended application process uses too much lube. One tiny drop per roller is all you need...smush all the drops into the pins/rollers by running your finger over the section of chain. Advance the chain and do it to the next section. Wipe off any excess on the exterior of the chain.

The same technique applies to Squirt as well.

F45

by F45

MikeD wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Not my experience. You probably applied it over your old, dirty lube/filthy chain and had less than adequate results.
Clean chain in mineral spirits; Follow application instructions; ride for a bit; chain looks like its covered in sludge.

wilwil

by wilwil

I was a bit dissapointed with Squirt because it remained slightly tacky therefore attaracting dirt.

mag

by mag

I'm going to try the wax-based Rex Domestique lube which is currently discounted at r2-bike.com by the way.
I heard some good things about it so hoping it's going to be better (cleaner) than Squirt/Smoove.

Another one I was considering is Cerabike, but due to the sale on the Rex I went for that one instead.

eurperg

by eurperg

I heard Rex is r2-bike staff favourite lube at the moment. Tell us what you think once you have tried it!

MikeD

by MikeD

F45 wrote:
MikeD wrote:

Clean chain in mineral spirits; Follow application instructions; ride for a bit; chain looks like its covered in sludge.
My guess is that you didn't adequately clean the chain and that sludge is what was still coming out of your chain. Maybe follow it up with a simple green and hot water wash. The chain should be dry before applying Smoove (blow out with compressed air), and Smoove should be allowed to dry overnight.

JoO

by JoO

i was also disappointed in squirt. especially after the good result in the velonews test After 2 hours in the rain all lubrication was gone. It also seem to attract dirt like regular chain oil.
Now I wax my chains with parafin wax (taking the chain off dunking it in molten wax).
No more dirt that sticks to my chains and chains seem to last forever.

Alumen

by Alumen

Definitely Squirt wax... the best !

Organic, it does what it says and keeps your chain clean. Talking about my chain.... my Shimano 105 chain already last over 8.000 km's ! On Squirt only and still going strong !
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

eurperg

by eurperg

Squirt, aka slack wax emulsion is not organic but a petroleum-based product

F45

by F45

MikeD wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:45 pm
F45 wrote:
MikeD wrote:

My guess is that you didn't adequately clean the chain and that sludge is what was still coming out of your chain. Maybe follow it up with a simple green and hot water wash. The chain should be dry before applying Smoove (blow out with compressed air), and Smoove should be allowed to dry overnight.
All done. The problem with Smoove is that everything that touches the chain sticks to the chain. There is no way around this. It becomes like the landfill of the bicycle. Garbage magnet. Like the biggest black hole in the universe just flying through your galaxy sucking everything up.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have used all three Rex is the best but it's the most expensive, Smoove and Squirt are just about the same but I like Smoove just a little better... Rex keeps the chain cleaner, than the other two and Smoove is a little cleaner and more quiet than Squirt. But that all could just be personal bias ... Also all three have differnt applicator tips so that could be the most important factor on how they work/clean

C

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A long-time RnR Gold user here. What I like about it is that it's both a cleaner and a lube. One drop per link and I give the chain a few spins. Then I wipe the chain down with a paper towel. All the gunk that has accumlated inside the chain is washed out by the lubricant. Once the chain is wiped down the outside is super clean and shiny, and the inside is protected by the lubricant. You just can't get better than that. Other lubricant like Squirt are probably too thick, hence the complaints about attracting dirt. My chains last close to 3,000 miles, at which time it's showing 0.75% wear on the Park chain tool.

wilwil

by wilwil

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:57 pm
A long-time RnR Gold user here. What I like about it is that it's both a cleaner and a lube. One drop per link and I give the chain a few spins. Then I wipe the chain down with a paper towel. All the gunk that has accumlated inside the chain is washed out by the lubricant. Once the chain is wiped down the outside is super clean and shiny, and the inside is protected by the lubricant. You just can't get better than that. Other lubricant like Squirt are probably too thick, hence the complaints about attracting dirt. My chains last close to 3,000 miles, at which time it's showing 0.75% wear on the Park chain tool.
Ive been using RnR for years but since it went low vapour it isnt the same. It doesnt seem to last anytime at all after 30 miles the DT begins to sound like its running dry. The chain is really clean though. So now winter's here I tried Muc Off Ceramic wet weather lube. Wish I hadn't. Just fithy black sticky mess everywhere after a 60 mile ride. Should be called Muc On. Is it possible to run a clean chain in winter?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sounding dry isn’t an indication of anything other than the outer plates being dry, which is fine. The sound you don’t want to hear is squeaking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com