Meilenstein valve extender issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good to hear, I would have done the same thing unless the holes were a blatantly obvious mismatch. Still, the whole idea of having molded holes in a carbon rim, instead of drilled, is so that the carbon fibers stay continuous and don’t get broken. At least that’s the marketing spiel behind ENVE’s molded (versus drilled) spoke holes. So, the molding process should be such that no filing is required afterwards to make the hole bigger.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Handmade products can have such 'imperfections'. It's not a big deal IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol... KGT... nothing hand made about the molded holes... they come out of a mold. But I agree, in Lionel's case, not a big deal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

If they come out of a mold then either all the valve holes have the correct diameter or not. Obviously it is not just "a mold". Something else happened during manufacturing.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Or maybe they're all like that, I don't know. I've only worked with one set, and when I went to check it out for Lionel, I noticed that the original black Lightweight extenders were not being used. Don't know why. That was a clincher set of the new 24's. Who knows, as long the filing was minimal, especially in a non stress hole such as the valve hole, no biggie.

kgt

by kgt

You obviously don't know. So every time you don't know, please, don't laught at another member's comments...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Kgt, mind your tone please. Thanks.

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kgt

by kgt

I will appreciate it if you ask Calnago the same (regarding Lol etc.). Thanks.

LionelB

by LionelB

While not a big deal it is obviously something that should be checked in production. Handmade makes it even more obvious to check it. A step was missed. Not a big deal I guess but we you pay big bucks for wheels you are not expected to freaking file any hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I do not disagree. I am just saying that we, as customers, are used at a level of perfection related to machine controlled engineering that a handmade procedure cannot reach sometimes. You are right not to want to file a hole but that does not mean that the product is of a low quality.
Many frames from big manufacturers have misalligned bottom brackets. That is a low quality issue. There are many such frames but their customers don't even care for some reason...
Last edited by kgt on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I have similar experience with Venn 507. It is very tight fit with some valve and also Enve valve extender (made by Silca, i think).

I figured they could have made the hole big and clear every valve. But they want it tight fit for most valve so it is then too tight for some valve.
No big deal, at least your valve won't rattle (or at least can't rattle much).

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Have you had a chance to compare the performance?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Don't want to come off as overly suspicious, but...If you miss checking that a standard extender that belongs to the wheelset fits, what more do you miss?
For the sake of the rim, i think it's best if there is a tiny wiggle room.
But that is my personaly opinion.
It's very easy not to have rattle. As and example; tape or a drop of liquid rubber glue.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

LionelB

by LionelB

The finish on these wheels is extremely good. Night and day compared to my G3. Perfect fit with the 25mm veloflex tubs. We will see on the road. I have good memories of the G3, except the braking was sub-par and they were catching side winds more than the Bora.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nice to hear what you think of them?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.