Meilenstein valve extender issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

I just received my Meilenstein 24 (looking good impressed by the finish compared to my G3) and the provided valve extender does not fit in the wheel hole ! I tried another one same deal. What can be going on here ? I emailed LW but thought I would ask here too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I'm guessing they expect you to mount the tube without the valve extender attached. Then attach the extender later.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

LionelB

by LionelB

LiquidCooled wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:53 pm
I'm guessing they expect you to mount the tube without the valve extender attached. Then attach the extender later.
Really ? I just checked the user manual and this is not what it says.

LionelB

by LionelB

This would not work anyway as the extender just does not clear the end of the hole, just checked.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Yeah, sounds like a manufacturing defect then. If the rim is too deep to even get a little bit of the valve to be out, then you obviously can't attach the extender afterwards.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

LionelB

by LionelB

Can’t believe this damn it. After I spent the time to layer Mastik1 and all. This seems odd as the finish of this wheel set is quite impressive. Night and day compared to the genIII I had before . The hole is molded on one side of the rim. Not quite sure how to mess this up. I looked at the LW web site and they only show the San valve extender I have. Maybe there is a new one for the 24mm wide rims ? Seems odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

the extender should go in ok with almost no wiggle room

i assume it's only one wheel with the problem, not both

if you remove the extender, does the tub's valve stem fit from both directions? i.e. from the correct side but also if you fold the tub will it also go in from the inside edge of the rim?

if it's just a bit of resin/whatever stuck at one end, rather than too small along the whole depth you could probably clear it ok, but no point risking the warranty

just have to see what lw say

LionelB

by LionelB

sungod wrote:the extender should go in ok with almost no wiggle room

i assume it's only one wheel with the problem, not both

if you remove the extender, does the tub's valve stem fit from both directions? i.e. from the correct side but also if you fold the tub will it also go in from the inside edge of the rim?

even though you could probably clear it ok, no point risking the warranty

just have to see what lw say
I tried that and without the extender the stem does not fit in the narrow side of the rim. It’s the same for both wheels. Which makes me think that maybe there is a new style of extender that would be smaller.... it’s very weird, I have used many extenders with many wheels before. Either both wheels holes are out of spec or they need a different type is extender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionelB

by LionelB

kgt wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:54 pm
Why don't you contact LW?
If you read my post I obviously have. It's Sunday and I am pissed so I am trying to find information because if the hole is out of spec this is honestly very lame.

AJS914

by AJS914

The guy at the end of the assembly line probably forgot to run a file through the hole and make sure a valve actually fit. I'd be tempted to just sand/file it myself if it just needed a small amount of enlarging.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Is it really out of spec a lot? For instance, if you had a Continental extension lying around, or an extension from one of your other wheels, could you try that just to see if any valve extender might work. I checked on the set of Lightweight 24’s that I work with but they don’t have the Lightweight extender, just a silver one, not sure of the brand. I didn’t install the tires, plus they are the clincher version. Can you shine a light in the hole just to see if maybe there’s some excess carbon that just needs to be filed away. Sorry about your Sunday.
[edit]: seeing that you already tried to insert the Veloflex (assuming it’s a Veloflex) valve in both sides without the extender on it and it still wouldn’t fit that is indeed strange.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Heard back from LW, they are recommending to file it ! So the theory of the assembly line guy not filing it is probably true. Very lame. How much are these again ?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That's bad, i would ask for a replacement. Is it same on both wheels?

I wouldn't press down the extender. Without wiggle room it's a risk that the wheel is prone to a crack.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Well, I filed it very lightly and it worked :) The LBS told me that it happens. I would assume that they would check this at LW. Anyway, still quite impressed by the finish of these wheels compared to my G3. The rim lips are also much rounder compared to the razor sharp lips of the G3.