EE Brake Pad holders - Campy calliper compatible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi All
Thought I would treat myself to a set of EE Pad holders - have heard so many positive reviews about their ease of use and I regularly swap my wheels and their specific pads.
Simple question is are the EE pad holders compatible with Campy 11 spd and 12 spd SR brake callipers? I understand they use the Shimano style pads - which is no big deal, but do they fit the Campy callipers?
I have had mixed answers on this. I used to have the email of the guy who invented them but now lost. The cane Creek customer support was uncertain but couldnt see why not, another source said no.
Is anyone running this combination? - love to find out before laying some pretty big money down for them.
Many thanks in advance.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, it says they work with Shimano, Sram and Campagnolo.
Personally i have never tried with Campa. Shimano previously (worked great) and now with Etap, which also work great.

LEVERAGE COMPATIBILITY
Optimized to work with Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM levers

https://www.canecreek.com/product/eebrakes/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Thanks WOf - I think they are referring to the compatability ofthe overall brake assembly with the various brand lever types - not the pad holders with the callipers.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

sungod

by sungod

can't see why not, as long as your caliper mounting holes have clearance for an m6 bolt, and the arms have clearance for the mounting hardware diameter (up to 12mm)

i'm not sure if a set of pad holders includes the spacers used with ee brakes to set rough pad distance for different rim widths, if that's the case i've used these...
https://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium-wash ... -10-7.html
...with my ee brakes to allow 1.4mm spacing increments rather than the supplied 2mm spacers, they are a very close match id/od

btw they do indeed make it much simpler/faster to swap pads over when switching cf/alloy wheels

lightweight's pads are easy, but i find harder compound pads like swissstop bxp can be tough to fit on a cold day

with those i use a bit of water/spit as lubricant and a small screwdriver through the rear cutout in the holder to dig into the pad a bit and then lever the blade against the cutout to drive the pad fully forward (also tried to use braking force to do it, but that wasn't enough!)

tommasini

by tommasini

Does the OP or others have a followup - does the hardware play nice / fit suitably in the slot width of Campy calipers???

Seedster

by Seedster

Im using EE brakes with shimano pads and SR brakes levers with no issues.

tommasini

by tommasini

my recent question was about fitting the shoes to Campagnolo calipers - but thanks for chimming in none the less.

uraqt

by uraqt

So I think they won't work or you will have to use a combo of washers to set it up. I think the back of the EE pad holder is curved differntly than the campy curve...

That said the EE pad holder is a great design!!!

C

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I briefly used them with Campag. You need a set of washers to accommodate the size of the Campag calliper slot and to adjust the overall spacing as they have a narrow profile. My view was that the pads do change quickly but that the overall aesthetic was worse- back to Campag pads.

corky

by corky

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 am
I briefly used them with Campag. You need a set of washers to accommodate the size of the Campag calliper slot and to adjust the overall spacing as they have a narrow profile. My view was that the pads do change quickly but that the overall aesthetic was worse- back to Campag pads.
Yep exactly my experience. Unless you are changing pads on a weekly basis, not really worth the hassle.

biwa

by biwa

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 am
A follow-up, are these washers supplied with eebrakes or some aftermarket 3rd-party ones? And is this installation officially supported by cane creek? I think their instruction states use Shimano style brake pads only?

Attermann

by Attermann

Why change the campagnolo shoes? They work great

corky

by corky

Attermann wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:42 am
Why change the campagnolo shoes? They work great
Changing pads is a ball ache... whereas EE are a breeze.

Attermann

by Attermann

How often do you do that? And the newer style campagnolo brake shoes are easy too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Attermann wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 am
How often do you do that? And the newer style campagnolo brake shoes are easy too
Some people have multiple wheel sets, carbon, aluminium...I don't think even the newer Campagnolo shoes are easy, those stupid springs and they're still tight......if you've ever used EE you will know what a superior design to anything else out there, they are.