Swapping handlebars with hydraulic levers/hoses connected

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Looking for a bit of guidance here. I'm about to re-do the shifting cables on my gravel/winter bike, equipped with Shimano 9120 levers. I'm also thinking about swapping my bars from 44 c-c Enve to 42 c-c. Can I just undo the lever clamp bolts and pull the levers off, move the clamps on to the new bars and then attach the levers? The shift cables will be removed, but ideally I'd leave the hydraulic hoses connected. I can't see any huge problem, so long as I am careful not to have the hose attachment bolt at the lever come loose on me. Has anyone pulled a move like this that can reassure me or give me some tips?

This whole world of hydraulic disk is forcing me to learn new things. Which is maybe good, but I'm in my 5th decade and set in my ways :lol:

TLN

by TLN

If that's classic bar - sure why not. It gets more complicated if your cables routed through the bar

by Weenie

jfranci3

by jfranci3

If the hoses are routed on the outside, it should be a big deal.

Note, it's also not a big deal to unscrew the hose as long as you don't move the lever or brake. The fluid will stay in the hose unless forced out. After you reattach, flick the levers a bunch of times, clamp your lever down with a rubber band or zip tie, and position the tops of the levers as high as possible over night - maybe flick the lever a few times before going to bed and when you wake up. This will get any air to the master cylinder, where it's OK.

mattr

by mattr

It should just slide off once the bolts are loosened. If the bend is too tight, undo the fixing bolt completely and pull the entire lever body away, then slide the clamp off seperately. I've got some shallow classic bend bars that i always have to do this on.

Edit, just re read your post, this is exactly what you are proposing, go for it.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Yes, externally routed cables/hoses. Thanks for the replies, I could not really think of any pitfalls but at the same time I'm still pretty much a noob on the hydraulic front.

mattr

by mattr

The only possible pitfall i can think of is if you are using aluminium fittings and waving the levers round. Aluminium hydraulic fittings aren't the most durable. I still have a complete set for a set of hope X2 brakes somewhere that i never fitted, they came "free" as part of a really good deal on the brakes, i added a full set of the standard fittings to the order at the same time. Which are still fitted 7 or 8 years later.

by Weenie