Lightening up your bar tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I am thinking of ways to make my road bars lighter (soon to be sub 130g darimo road bars). Deda tape (i have this), allegator tape, don’t tape the tops of your bars, do less overlap... etc.

Any other options? Minus no tape (too risky, ugly), what i was thinking was putting padding only where needed, and then using some sort of grip tape. Hockey tape came to mind, but the glue gets sticky. Then i just ise padded gloves (so padding is always where you need it).

Ideas, or am i at the state of the art?

cerro

by cerro

Deda perforated is the lightest I've tried and good feeling too. 40-45g for a completely wrapped 40cm bar incl endplugs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

As above, Deda make the lightest normal tape, but if you want real lightness I suggest Tesa 51608 tape. At 10-20g depending on your bars and how you wrap it, it's the lightest I've ever used or seen online.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

themidge wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:28 am
I suggest Tesa 51608 tape. At 10-20g depending on your bars and how you wrap it, it's the lightest I've ever used or seen online.
This! I've been using it and I have no complaints.
Speedplay is the devil!

Mep

by Mep

mdeth1313 wrote:
themidge wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:28 am
I suggest Tesa 51608 tape. At 10-20g depending on your bars and how you wrap it, it's the lightest I've ever used or seen online.
This! I've been using it and I have no complaints.
Do you get any kind of cushioning at all with this tape? It looks kinda grippy but curious on how well it cushions.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Not much cushioning at all. More than when I was using 3m friction tape, but nothing really. I've been using either friction tape or tesa tape for a few years now and I don't miss bar tape at all. I don't notice the difference. A decent pair of gloves and the correct position on the bike seemed to do more than cushioned bar tape for my comfort.
Speedplay is the devil!

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Thanks guys.!! Just a word to people googling that there are other types of tesa tape with very similar numbering. Maybe they would be fine too!

Just ordered 3 rolls for 12$ canadian plus shipping. Will try to temember to report back. Assuming it does not roll and get nasty/sticky with use, it should be a light alternative, combined with padded gloves. It claims a rubber based adhesive, which sounds promicing. My only concern beyond durability is how i like the feel of thinner bars. Padded gloves should partly help with that, but I have long fingers... we will see.

Edit: expecting zero padding. My theory is to wear padded gloves, so padding is always exactly where i need it. Tape is just for looks/grip.

If that prooves unbearable, i will pad common pressure zones on the bar, and tape over it. If that looks like crap, or still is uncomfortable... the deda perforated tape goes on (i have a roll).

KCookie

by KCookie

I do like the Deda tape, mine weighed 24.2g, plus one bar plug at 2.1g.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 am
Assuming it does not roll and get nasty/sticky with use
I haven't found that it does, but it's worth knowing that it does change in finish and appearance over time. It starts consistent and slightly furry, then gets a bit flakey, so to speak (bits bobble off, like on a woven wool jumper) but it remains intact and fine to use, it just looks a bit worse. Finally, all the 'bits' get polished off and it you're left with just the core fabric, with the overlaps clearly visible. At that point I'd replace it.
RocketRacing wrote:expecting zero padding. My theory is to wear padded gloves, so padding is always exactly where i need it.
Good plan, you'll need them. I haven't found that I needed any more padding even on Scotland's bumpy roads, and now I've gone back to more durable stuff for winter my handlebars feel way too big!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Why not just wrap the bar normally with good looking bar tape and just not wear any gloves? That’s what I do. I have a nice looking bike and maybe even come out ahead weight-wise. Plus my hands don’t look weird with the glove tan lines. I only wear gloves for warmth if I’m riding in cold weather. Only taping the bar at specific places won’t look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Why not just wrap the bar normally with good looking bar tape and just not wear any gloves?
Because when you fall off and put down your hands to stop you, your bar tape doesn't come with them to prevent a cheese grater-like experience.
I agree about aesthetics and weight though, Tesa tape is for people who have saved all the grams everywhere else and don't mind ugly tape, or people like me who like to feel like they're being a real WW by using 14 gram tape :wink: .

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Don’t put your hands down pretty much ever. If you do that midfall that’s a good way to brake an ulna, humerus, collarbone. If you do it while already on the ground, you’re not significantly affecting your slide. Hold onto your bars until the instant before hitting ground then release and go limp.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, i mountain bike so am an expert at fall and roll. Only a cracked rib to speak of, and i rolled, so could have been worse. Knock on wood. Hahaha. My hands sweat a lot so bars get geimy, so i usually prefer gloves, even if the very thin type.

Deda tape and no gloves might be lighter overall... but not on the scales. This is the weight weenie forum and logic needs to be defied now and then.

I saw a picture of bars equipped with tesa tape. Not exactly pretty, but for 12$ i will try it when the darimo bars arrive. If it looks like crap (looks > marginal weight savings) than the deda tape goes on.

I suspect deda tape will win, as 10-20g savings for thin fuzzy bars may not be worth it... but we will see.

Marin

by Marin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm
Don’t put your hands down pretty much ever. If you do that midfall that’s a good way to brake an ulna, humerus, collarbone. If you do it while already on the ground, you’re not significantly affecting your slide. Hold onto your bars until the instant before hitting ground then release and go limp.
That's how you break your shoulder or hips then

Broady

by Broady

Pour 10ml of water out of each of your bottles and use tape that is actually nice to use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com