Lightening up your bar tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

kdawg wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 am
How much does 15mm of steerer and a spacer weigh? I’d be fixing that before removing the rubber hood.
10mm up top.

It does not weigh that much, and i am not ready to make the final cut.

But, cane creek headset bearings, topcap/expander, etc saves me 66.5g. That is next as it is only a few 100$.

Tape is a goal, because it is one of those few “affordable” marginal gains. The trick is making it look good. Cause if the final version looks like crap... deda tape and rubber hood covers go on.

If tesa tape is a bust... it only cost me 12$ and some time.
Last edited by RocketRacing on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Wookski wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am
kdawg wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 am
How much does 15mm of steerer and a spacer weigh? I’d be fixing that before removing the rubber hood.
There’s half a kilo to be saved by swapping out the mavics for some ax tubs :noidea:
Money solves all bike weight problems, does it not? We would all have full 9lbs ax lightness bikes...

I made the decision not to go with tubulars a while back. Just a bit too impractical for me. I opted to stay with 25cc clinchers (comfort, ease, reliability, and rolling resistance over weight). And for the 100-150g i could save with a pair of high end lighter clincher wheels... i could be well into my next bike project (felt ia). The grams/dollar were just not there for me. I got the bike/wheels used as a pair, so i am working with it. Now, if the right wheels came along at the right price...

I could also go with narrower/lighter tires, but this is a light bike i can ride (and enjoy), vs a scale princess. Gp5000’s may save me a few g over the 4000’s however.... that is just a matter of time.

To be honest, if this bike gets a wheel upgrade, it will likely be to deeper section aero wheels with 12k carbon to match the frame... but i am saving that for my felt ia build (pure aero).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

RocketRacing wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:01 pm
Any thoughts? It if looks like crap, i will just use the sram rubber hood covers.
How about DIY BTP-style hoods?

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:59 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:01 pm
Any thoughts? It if looks like crap, i will just use the sram rubber hood covers.
How about DIY BTP-style hoods?
He had me at carbon fibre, until i saw the pictures.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

RocketRacing wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:57 am
He had me at carbon fibre, until i saw the pictures.
Dunno, last part pics looked decent enough for me to order some 3k cloth from Ali, something to tinker with during long winter.