TCR upgrade model/year decision?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Schulzy
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 am

by Schulzy

REGICYCLE wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:18 am
I beg to differ... Moving from my entry level chinese carbon frame to my TCR adv pro 1 2017 was a massive and completely noticeable difference. I know where you are coming from, but an entry level 10kg bike to a mid to high level 7kg bike is a large difference.

@Schulzy - Personally I would take the plunge and go for the SL now if you can afford it as you may not like the new TCR's looks anyway.
That's what I was thinking, I really do like the look of the current iteration frame even though it has externally mounted cables and if I'm honest I can't stand the look of the intergrated stem on the propel and the defy, I'm assuming they are going to use the same design stem on the new TCR. If I was to wait for the 2020 it would be purely for the margial gains and as you said I may not like the look of it.

The only real hesitation I have is that a lot of people are reporting that the disc model TCR's arent as snappy as the rim brake counterparts. I took a mates rim brake SL 1 for a spin on the weekend and it felt so lively, was amazing. I'm worried the disc model won't have the same feel and repsonse as others have reported, I can't see what would be causing the slower feel, surely its only down to the additional weight, geometry wise they are identical and if anything the disc variant should have stiffer front forks and also will be stiffer with through axles.

bedampft
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

by bedampft

Don't worry. The only diffrence, if there is any, will be due to weight. The frameset feals the same.
If got a rimbrake SL and for a week now, my new SL Disc. With the same position and components (saddle, stem, bar, bartape), i can't tell the two appart. Except for brakeing, especially in the wet, and the level feel.

by Weenie


jlok
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

People claim rim brake frameset has got a livelier ride than disc brake. How do you feel it?
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

User avatar
Noctiluxx
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Don't worry. The only diffrence, if there is any, will be due to weight. The frameset feals the same.
If got a rimbrake SL and for a week now, my new SL Disc. With the same position and components (saddle, stem, bar, bartape), i can't tell the two appart. Except for brakeing, especially in the wet, and the level feel.
My SL with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels set up as tubeless is noticeably stiffer, livelier, than my buddies TCR Advanced Pro bike with Zipp 303's. Both of us noticed the difference. Pic of the two bikes below.
Attachments
sunweb.jpg
SL.jpg
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Keep in mind that TCR disc bikes have 140mm front rotor. Stick to rim brake models or wait to see whether 2020 model will have 160mm rotor.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jlok
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

you can swap it to 160 just fine. I did it with my SL.
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bedampft
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

by bedampft

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 am
bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Don't worry. The only diffrence, if there is any, will be due to weight. The frameset feals the same.
If got a rimbrake SL and for a week now, my new SL Disc. With the same position and components (saddle, stem, bar, bartape), i can't tell the two appart. Except for brakeing, especially in the wet, and the level feel.
My SL with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels set up as tubeless is noticeably stiffer, livelier, than my buddies TCR Advanced Pro bike with Zipp 303's. Both of us noticed the difference. Pic of the two bikes below.
That maybe so, but i was compairing my two SL framesets.
jlok wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:30 am
People claim rim brake frameset has got a livelier ride than disc brake. How do you feel it?
As i sad, can't feel a diffrence between those two. One is as nice to ride as the other. I'm pretty much riding one of'em every day in the week.
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 am
Keep in mind that TCR disc bikes have 140mm front rotor. Stick to rim brake models or wait to see whether 2020 model will have 160mm rotor.
Srsly? You do realise that you can swap the rotor for a bigger one? You can can do that on 99,9% of the bikes with disc brakes (Mtb oder Road). That's been possible for ages.
Anyway, i'm still riding 140mm back and front. Haven't had the need for bigger ones, with my 67kg.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 am
Keep in mind that TCR disc bikes have 140mm front rotor. Stick to rim brake models or wait to see whether 2020 model will have 160mm rotor.
bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Srsly? You do realise that you can swap the rotor for a bigger one? You can can do that on 99,9% of the bikes with disc brakes (Mtb oder Road). That's been possible for ages.
Anyway, i'm still riding 140mm back and front. Haven't had the need for bigger ones, with my 67kg.
Thanks for an intellectual comment :smartass: I had no idea that rotors can be swapped. Perhaps any bike could be stripped and build with favorite parts? :noidea:
Are you serious?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

bedampft
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

by bedampft

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 am
Keep in mind that TCR disc bikes have 140mm front rotor. Stick to rim brake models or wait to see whether 2020 model will have 160mm rotor.
bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Srsly? You do realise that you can swap the rotor for a bigger one? You can can do that on 99,9% of the bikes with disc brakes (Mtb oder Road). That's been possible for ages.
Anyway, i'm still riding 140mm back and front. Haven't had the need for bigger ones, with my 67kg.
Thanks for an intellectual comment :smartass: I had no idea that rotors can be swapped. Perhaps any bike could be stripped and build with favorite parts? :noidea:
Are you serious?
Don't BS me dude. If you already knew that, why post your original comment on waiting for the MY20 due to 160mm rotors? Thats no valid point at all :roll:

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

bedampft wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:53 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 am
Keep in mind that TCR disc bikes have 140mm front rotor. Stick to rim brake models or wait to see whether 2020 model will have 160mm rotor.
bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Srsly? You do realise that you can swap the rotor for a bigger one? You can can do that on 99,9% of the bikes with disc brakes (Mtb oder Road). That's been possible for ages.
Anyway, i'm still riding 140mm back and front. Haven't had the need for bigger ones, with my 67kg.
Thanks for an intellectual comment :smartass: I had no idea that rotors can be swapped. Perhaps any bike could be stripped and build with favorite parts? :noidea:
Are you serious?
Don't BS me dude. If you already knew that, why post your original comment on waiting for the MY20 due to 160mm rotors? Thats no valid point at all :roll:
You are right! I'm here to BS you dude, and you are here to bring wealth of knowledge and valuable contibution to this forum.
:podium:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Hexsense
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

An Ultegra or Sram Centerline X disc rotor cost like what? 50 dollars?
Waiting for next year upgrade to save 50 dollars doesn't make sense as the next year model might be a full refresh that cost way more than the current one.

Actually, the 140mm rotor that was on the front is a good back up for rear wheel anyway. It's not completely useless even if you switch to 160mm up front.

scapie
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:19 am

by scapie

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 am
bedampft wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Don't worry. The only diffrence, if there is any, will be due to weight. The frameset feals the same.
If got a rimbrake SL and for a week now, my new SL Disc. With the same position and components (saddle, stem, bar, bartape), i can't tell the two appart. Except for brakeing, especially in the wet, and the level feel.
My SL with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels set up as tubeless is noticeably stiffer, livelier, than my buddies TCR Advanced Pro bike with Zipp 303's. Both of us noticed the difference. Pic of the two bikes below.
not on topic but cool pic with the hollywood sign in the background

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post