Cervelo S5 'old' seat post options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

So some may be aware due to another thread that I recently treated myself to a brand new old S5 which has been a wonderful bike. However, caveat emptor, I am finding the rear end brutally stiff, harsh and two 40-50 mile rides a week rendering my pelvis area battered.

So can anyone advise if the new post which I cite looks like a dog taking a shit or a wall nut whip on a plank of wood help ?

Called Cervelo SP17 for reference ? Does it transform the rear end of the bike.

Have applied all the usual caveats plush 320 tpi, lightweight tubes, good bibs. In this issue the front of the bike is fine, which is great as a very bad legacy left hand injury can flare up on a stiff bike. Just that rear triangle has taken me by surprise.

Thanks !

Shrike

by Shrike

Had both, I actually upgraded to the newer style because I love how it looks. Dead techy, modernises the look a lot.

Though I also loved the look of the Venge VIAS so.. :D

Unfortunately.. I didn't personally notice much difference in comfort between the two posts.

85PSI rear, 80 front feels nice to me on clinchers like Corsa G+

If you can't get comfy then consider tubulars. I loved the S5 on Corsa G+ tubs. Way more comfy than any clincher I've had on the S5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

It doesn't really make much difference. It's still stiff. The advantage with the older design is you have 0 and 40 offsets

The biggest difference I found was the choice of wheels and tyres.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

TiCass

by TiCass

Didn't notice much difference in stiffness, but it's lighter. It's also a much better clamping mechanism.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What real width tires and tire pressure do you have?

What do you weigh? Do you consider your fit to be more aero or more upright?

Some people simply use too narrow tires because of looks or aero. How about you go one step wider on the rear wheel.

S5 is about performance. Comfort will be sacrificed. How about madone isospeed for the next bike?

How about swapping seats. Stiffer frame might need a different seat to compensate.

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Sorry to hear that - I feel a touch responsible too as you responded to a comment I made on the previous thread. I've never used the 'old' seatpost - mine came with the new 'walnut whip on a plank' version. Clearly our perceptions are very different but with the same wheels I actually felt more bounced around and beat up on my more or less stock R2 than I do now on the S5. I've upgraded the wheels via DCR recently and they're wider (19.5mm internal) and even more compliant (using pirelli zero velo, 23mm front, 25mm rear). That's useless info for you I guess though. Genuinely wish I could help but to me the bike just feels stiff, fast, efficient, and a huge amount of fun...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

IchDien

by IchDien

For what it's worth the majority of pros were on the old seatpost...maybe just because the mechanics kept them for the 0-40mm offset though?

TiCass

by TiCass

IchDien wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm
For what it's worth the majority of pros were on the old seatpost...maybe just because the mechanics kept them for the 0-40mm offset though?
This year, pretty much everybody on S5 used the new seat post. The new version also solve tilting issue the previous version had. You basically had to over torque the single bolt to keep seat angle straight. It's a better seat post, even if it looks weird.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

IchDien wrote:
Don't think so. If you check photos of the 2018 season I can't see any DiData riders using the old post. Also, the old S5 seatpost (before the cobra) was also single position, either 25mm or 0mm setback. The OLD old seatpost was two position 40mm/0mm, but that hasn't been specced since the Gen1 S5 was phased out in 2014.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

HenHarrier wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Sorry to hear that - I feel a touch responsible too as you responded to a comment I made on the previous thread. I've never used the 'old' seatpost - mine came with the new 'walnut whip on a plank' version. Clearly our perceptions are very different but with the same wheels I actually felt more bounced around and beat up on my more or less stock R2 than I do now on the S5. I've upgraded the wheels via DCR recently and they're wider (19.5mm internal) and even more compliant (using pirelli zero velo, 23mm front, 25mm rear). That's useless info for you I guess though. Genuinely wish I could help but to me the bike just feels stiff, fast, efficient, and a huge amount of fun... Image

No worries. The beauty and subjectivity of bikes. We are all different and experience different things from different machines. Last year I moved my F8 on as it rendered my left hand useless before and after a bike fit due to a nasty injury - I cut through the top of my left hand aged 17 over 30 years ago and lost the use of my left hand for 6 months back in the mid 80's. But in this instance it is the rear end. No drama, 320 tpi at 85 psi etc etc. Just one of those things. Interested to hear that the new post offers little in terms of reduced vibration but mulling over spending £200 notes to experiment. Thanks ! I also ride in South Devon where tarmac is like a builders elbow pretty much everywhere. The ideal Richmond Park bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

diegogarcia wrote:
HenHarrier wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Sorry to hear that - I feel a touch responsible too as you responded to a comment I made on the previous thread. I've never used the 'old' seatpost - mine came with the new 'walnut whip on a plank' version. Clearly our perceptions are very different but with the same wheels I actually felt more bounced around and beat up on my more or less stock R2 than I do now on the S5. I've upgraded the wheels via DCR recently and they're wider (19.5mm internal) and even more compliant (using pirelli zero velo, 23mm front, 25mm rear). That's useless info for you I guess though. Genuinely wish I could help but to me the bike just feels stiff, fast, efficient, and a huge amount of fun... Image

No worries. The beauty and subjectivity of bikes. We are all different and experience different things from different machines. Last year I moved my F8 on as it rendered my left hand useless before and after a bike fit due to a nasty injury - I cut through the top of my left hand aged 17 over 30 years ago and lost the use of my left hand for 6 months back in the mid 80's. But in this instance it is the rear end. No drama, 320 tpi at 85 psi etc etc. Just one of those things. Interested to hear that the new post offers little in terms of reduced vibration but mulling over spending £200 notes to experiment. Thanks ! I also ride in South Devon where tarmac is like a builders elbow pretty much everywhere. The ideal Richmond Park bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Like you say, different bikes suit different backsides etc, but shame it's so bad for you. Out of interest I did 50 miles this morning on A149 in north Norfolk - def not Richmond Park Road conditions and bike felt great. Expensive experiment trying 'new' seatpost, but if rest of bike works for you then maybe worth a go...

IchDien

by IchDien

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm
IchDien wrote:
Don't think so. If you check photos of the 2018 season I can't see any DiData riders using the old post. Also, the old S5 seatpost (before the cobra) was also single position, either 25mm or 0mm setback. The OLD old seatpost was two position 40mm/0mm, but that hasn't been specced since the Gen1 S5 was phased out in 2014.

Several in the back of this one:

This one is quoted from 2016:

etc. etc. No doubt for 2018 they didn't use it yes...but the old <2014 seatpost definitely had a longer career.

TiCass

by TiCass

The "new" seat post was release in 2017. These photos are from 2016 or older.

IchDien

by IchDien

TiCass wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:32 am
The "new" seat post was release in 2017. These photos are from 2016 or older.
Karvalo said that after 2014 no-one used the old post...

I was saying that before the newest one...there still were a lot on the old one...did you read what I said before?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

On even the harshest and stiffest bike, a 40-50 mile ride (about 75km) shouldn’t be an issue for an experienced cyclist. I’ve done 340km rides on my 2015 s5 with the old post (the one with just one mounting option but otherwise the same) and it was ok.

Know this is an obvious question but have you tried wider tyres or lower pressure in the tyres?