New Bike Suggestions (Tarmac SL6, Aeroroad, ... ???)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oskeres

by oskeres

aaaa
Last edited by oskeres on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cro2

by cro2

Maybe Trek Madone or Scott Foil in rim brake version?
Several of my friends use Canyon bikes and they're very snappy and fast machines. On the other hand the customer support is crappy and you have to send the bike back to Canyon if anyhting happens. This is the reason why I didn't choose Aeroad as my bike for the next season.

robeambro

by robeambro

oskeres wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 am
Hello everyone,

I'm in search of a new bike and would like to hear your suggestions.

I'm currently riding a BMC TMR01. The bike is fantastic, but it has done its time and I would love to have "normal" brakes again after fussing constantly with the extremely finicky integrated rim brakes.

I'm looking for a road or aeroroad frame as my races are not mountain top finishes. Also, I would like to stick with a rim brake model because:
1) all of training and race wheels are rim brake and change wheels depending on training and racing conditions
2) I fly frequently for racing and training and generally remove the front fork

I'm looking at:
1) Specialized Tarmac SL6
2) Canyon Aeroroad CF SLX

Most likely I am looking at getting just the frame and building from there.

Suggestions:
1) Between the SL6 and Aeroroad?
2) Any other good options? I'm located in SoCal

Thanks guys!
With the Aeroad you won't be able to fiddle that much with the cockpit. Even if you wanted to switch to a two-piece combo, you'd have limited choice on the stem, among big brands only Canyon and Giant make them compatible I believe.

The Tarmac is surely more versatile, although you may be slightly less aero (which may be further compounded by a less aggressive position, if you don't opt for a comparatively smaller frame size).

I can't comment on stiffness and blah.

check6

by check6

cro2 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:37 am
Maybe Trek Madone or Scott Foil in rim brake version?
Several of my friends use Canyon bikes and they're very snappy and fast machines. On the other hand the customer support is crappy and you have to send the bike back to Canyon if anyhting happens. This is the reason why I didn't choose Aeroad as my bike for the next season.
I had a small issue and did not have to send my Aeroad back here in the USA. I called support and after about a 5 min wait on the phone explained my issue. They authorized me for repairs with a local mechanic and the issue was fixed in 3 days. All said, I am very happy with the support I have received. Whats more, I wanted to order a back-up hanger and headset bearings while on the phone. Since they did not have the hanger in stock he threw in the bearings at no charge while I with for the hanger to get re-stocked.

As for the two bikes, can't go wrong with either. I certainly love the Aeroad and find it noticeable quicker/responsive than even my old S-3, but that may be mostly to do with the wheels and more aggressive riding position than anything. Also, I got lucky with the cockpit. Fit me like a glove out of the box.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Being in So Cal, you have access to pretty much every bike dealer/brand available on the market. There are way too many good bikes out there that would make any level of rider happy. Besides the two exceptional bikes you mentioned, I would also test ride the new Madone, TCR SL, Propel, Bianchi Oltre XR4, Canyon Ultimate, and Supersix Evo. I just ordered the new top of line Madone frameset with seatpost discounted for less than $4000 out the door. BTW Velo Pasadena has the S-Works Tarmac frame sets discounted 15%.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

calleking

by calleking

I have owned both of those frames.

I Had an Aeroad CF SLX for 3 years and have recently switched to an S-Works Tarmac SL6. Both rim braked version. The Aeroad is a great bike. It's fast, agile and feels planted. It's surprisingly good on the climbs and feels great going down. It's comfortable and handles bad roads surprisingly well. My fit on it was great so had no issues with trying to find other stems etc. Had some issues with the plastic cover for the di2 junction box in the aerocockpit but Canyon support was always helpful.

I have not done many rides on my Tarmac but first impressions are that it's just a little bit better overall. The big difference I could tell straight away was how the Tarmac accelerates and especially if you stand up. Made me smile a bit first time I pushed it on one of my local climbs. Frame is a bit more expensive but I think you get that back in second hand value. Also, now I can go to the local specialized dealer and get help. It feels pretty good to not have to send the bike somewhere even though it's unlikely something would happen.

There are other good alternatives already mentioned but no matter what you pick you will be happy. Does the TMR01 have direct-mount brakes? Both the Aeroad and the Tarmac has it and they're fantastic in my opinon and one of the reasons why I didn't want a disc brake bike.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oskeres

by oskeres