For those buying a new machine... disc or rim?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Alumen

by Alumen

Though I am not 100% convinced about having discs on road bikes (besides trekking bikes), for a new bike I would go for disc. It is simply the future and you are slightly more flexible in terms of tyre sizes if you want to ride for instance 28mm in the winter with it.

But if you are racing, yes, there could be a small aero penalty (not the discs as such, but certainly the wheels!).
CAAD 10 2015

crux

by crux

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:38 pm
Yes you got the point.
Wouldn't call myself heavy with 66kgs ;) but it's just more comfortable if you can jump on the ONE bike without changing anything.
What is this one bike thing you speak of? :D

A lot of this comes down to where you live and what conditions you ride in. I rode most of my life in the SF Bay Area with good weather but lots of hills though not the alps. Then I was in Spokane which lots of little up and downs and often crappy weather. Now I'm in southern New Mexico where the steepest hill we have is 3-4%. It's basically flat and for the first time I'd like a full aero bike. Being that it's flat here, rim brakes would be fine. If I found a great deal on a used Madone 9 with rim brakes I'd probably go for it.
A company in our region buys some generic frames from Taiwan in order to label and build them up.
http://www.price-bikes.ch/rubrik,price, ... _race,Road
It's not a special bike, neither that good looking as some of the high end disc bikes in this forum ;) but it's functional and reliable, that's all I need.
Will soon make a thread and hopefully it gets a little bit lighter over the time :)

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

I think that’s the reason a lot of folks would buy disc now, not necessarily because they truly believe they are better, but they believe that discs are the future and don’t want to be stuck with old technology. Kinda sad, especially since I still believe the best choice for the most high performance road bike today, all things considered, are rim brakes. But that’s a very small piece of the total pie from the manufacturers standpoint.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

+1

3Pio

by 3Pio

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm
My very PERSONAL opinion is that there is a lot of “new and must have” things recently that completely solve a problem that never existed. I’m pretty sure we peaked on true innovations and gains in frames and parts about 3-4 years ago, but have to continue to pump out “new and better” yearly for sales only. A few:

-thru axle
-disc brakes
-full aero frames
-electronic gearing
-hydraulic brake lines
-12 vs 11 vs 10 sp
-tire sizes beyond 22-23
-direct mount brakes
-Gravel bikes
-integrated seat post clamps
-proprietary seat posts
-12 different bottom brackets

List goes on......

Remind me to buy a beer if we ever meet or ride together... I totaly agree with ur words... Another beer if marketing BS that Rim brakes are not good enough, really make huge discount for high end rim frames and i build a new rim brake bike because of that...

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Interesting how many are saying they’re buying discs because they feel like they have to opposed to actually wanting to...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dgasmd wrote:

-tire sizes beyond 22-23

Slap on some 28mm tires (measured 30-31mm) at 60psi and attack a descent way faster / more aggressively than you're used to. Might change your mind. I even have 32mm Pirelli Cinturatos on order...will need to see if they fit the Emonda, and see if that's a step too far.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 am
dgasmd wrote:

-tire sizes beyond 22-23

Slap on some 28mm tires (measured 30-31mm) at 60psi and attack a descent way faster / more aggressively than you're used to. Might change your mind. I even have 32mm Pirelli Cinturatos on order...will need to see if they fit the Emonda, and see if that's a step too far.
I use 23mm Conti 4000 Clinchers, 25mm Corsa G+ clinchers (next time i'll use 23mm version definetely) , 25mm 4Season GrandPrix clinchers (my winter tires and also my commute tires on other bike), 25mm Conti Sprinter tubs and 25mm Corsa G+....

Most of the time im on tubs, but when i ride my clinchers i ride them with latex inner tubes, and when i switch between Conti 23 and Corsa G+ 25mm (or 4Season 25mm), i dont tink that 25mm is advantage.. It's just different..

From clinchers i own I prefer more direct feel of 23, and even dont lack the comfort (i ride often longer then 150 km rides, and even longer then 200 km..) .. Also prefer to attack hills/climbs instead descents....

My favorite tire/wheel combination (from wheelset i own) is Bora 35 with Corsa G+ tubs , and really dont feel that i need any wider tire than 25mm (bad roads here, plenty of hills and climbs/descents...) on almost every ride.... And in last period avg i ride is 300-500 km per week....And not that young.. Im 43...

blutto

by blutto

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 am
dgasmd wrote:

-tire sizes beyond 22-23

"Change your mind" ?....interesting if there will be any pause in mind change after viewing the video linked below ( it looks at a series of runs down a long technical downhill in both wet and dry conditions using rim and disc brakes... admittedly not exactly a science-level result / produces a very low N but it does have some fairly unbiased numbers to throw at your "Change your mind" idea...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hKMgUEku4

Cheers

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Road bikes will look like mountain bikes in 2020, that’s sad

kgt

by kgt

And you have seen nothing. I bet the time we will be seeing front and rear wheel fenders as the new ultra aero trend is not that far.

blutto

by blutto

"Road bikes will look like mountain bikes in 2020, that’s sad."

But, but, but.....that is just half empty glass thinking....the half full glass view is your mountain bikish thingee will finally and absolutely allow all gawd's children to use carbon clincher wheels and be the heights of coolosity and have no attendant safety concerns...which after all is very much a major driving force behind this change in the bike world ( well that and the potential profits the manufacturers are positively drooling over ).

Kinda reminds of the story about the monkey who reaches into a huge and heavy jar full of nuts but can't get its hand out of the jars because his hand is now full of nuts....a lion is approaching but he just can't let go of the nuts....the obvious solution for the monkey is to let go of the nuts, or in the bike case learn how to deal with tubulars.

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Makes sense, discs getting driven forward by those wanting to mince around on CX tyres.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 pm
Road bikes will look like mountain bikes in 2020, that’s sad
no they won't. gladly for those who don't feel like riding a proper road bike there are "gravel" bikes, cyclocross rigs, or comfort bikes.. I mean f**k - if you feel 25c tires are too harsh or braking becomes a prime concern while picking up your ride, then obviously road racing/riding isn't your thing.

"but why not make things easier/suited to my needs, what's wrong with that"

nothing, but if you find qualities of a good racing bike unsuitable, don't claim road racing bikes should be this or that - it's like saying GS skis should be shorter, softer and generaly easier because you don't feel like puting so much work into each and every curve :lol: guess what, there's something for you right now, but you need to look below the top shelve, and stop making stupid claims how equipment designed for something you're not even good at doesn't fit.

there's a reason why we have so much choice - today there are bikes (and components) for each and every type of 'road' cyclist. what's irritating are wannabes who'd like to see everything suited to their specific and totally unrepresentative point of view. eating through marketing BS like candy they'll drop some sponsored vids or cite a pro who's part job is endorsing sponsor's bikes and say it should be that way from now on, period.

just because you can afford top tier equipment, doesn't mean you need it god damn it, and sure as hell doesn't imply it ought to be designed with you in mind. because it shouldn't and gladly never will. why? cause you're not the target customer here! go get yourself that gravel thingy with 32c tires, discs, 1x drivetrain, q-factor of a motorcycle and whole load of other stuff that only slows you down. enjoy what you will, but embrace the fact real progress doesn't come from telling people to do this or that - it comes from listening to them.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

^ Should be a +rep button. Awesome post.