For those buying a new machine... disc or rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

My personal opinion is, this a total marketing ploy by fading away the higher end rim brakes for some years and then reintroduce them again years later as another marketing ploy. I just purchased the V2R with rim brakes but my CX bike has hyd disc which work really well for me and I couldnt imagine not having disc on my CX. I just got rid of my MTB which had hyd disc as well and I also feel the same way with it. For me its mostly about application and I think disc has its place but for me its not on the road. Only one time I can remember thinking I could use disc on the road and it involved coming down a 15% grade with a boat load of switchbacks for 8 km and the only reason I thought that was because my hand was actually sore from braking so hard in each corner. Possibly it may have come down to a poor choice in brake pads as it was my first trip to Italy years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 pm
first of all, I'm yet to meet a person who has paid a full MSRP for a racing bike. second, those things lose value faster than the universe expands. selling for half the price after a season or two of very mild usage is a great success. you're far better off riding the hell out of your bike as you'll probably get paid a lot closer to it's current value, than getting rid of it after a season when it's still 'like new'. third, I also haven't heard anyone saying "I'll get this bike instead of that, because I'll resale it better" - these are not cars you lease for 3 years or real estate you buy as investments. so this whole "I'm getting discs because no one will buy my used rim bike" sounds like a cheesy justification of a bad decision :beerchug:

In the sfbay craigslist, the same thing has happened with every new major release, rim or disc.

When the Tarmac SL6 came out, SL5s flooded the market.
When the Dogma F10 came out, F8s flooded the market.
When the Dogma F10 Disk came out, rim-brake F10s started appearing.
When the Tarmac SL6 Disc came out, rim-brake SL6s started appearing.

People here do have very short upgrade cycles whether you think it makes sense fiscally or not. For anyone on the fence about rim or disc, it is likely the steep depreciation gets even steeper on rim-brake bikes from here on. It's not just used bikes...rim-brake bikes are a tough closeout sale. The rim-brake models from 1-2 years ago aren't finding lots of buyers at GoRide in Redwood City, for example.

https://goridebicycles.com/close-out-bicycles/

That $3500 eTap HRD Synapse though, selling like hotcakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Just ride whatever you like. No need to act like a kid and be concerned what other people choose. :D

People forget that everyone does not have the same climate, prices, rider weight, landscape, road quality.
Last edited by alcatraz on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:48 am

In the sfbay craigslist, the same thing has happened with every new major release, rim or disc.

When the Tarmac SL6 came out, SL5s flooded the market.
When the Dogma F10 came out, F8s flooded the market.
When the Dogma F10 Disk came out, rim-brake F10s started appearing.
When the Tarmac SL6 Disc came out, rim-brake SL6s started appearing.

People here do have very short upgrade cycles whether you think it makes sense fiscally or not. For anyone on the fence about rim or disc, it is likely the steep depreciation gets even steeper on rim-brake bikes from here on. It's not just used bikes...rim-brake bikes are a tough closeout sale. The rim-brake models from 1-2 years ago aren't finding lots of buyers at GoRide in Redwood City, for example.

https://goridebicycles.com/close-out-bicycles/

That $3500 eTap HRD Synapse though, selling like hotcakes.
you know the BA has alot of dispoable income... those jones
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:24 am

It's nice to have shiny new toys whether rim or disc. Rim-brake fans should snap those barely ridden bikes up.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:35 am
spdntrxi wrote:

It's nice to have shiny new toys whether rim or disc. Rim-brake fans should snap those barely ridden bikes up.
yeah too many new bike strava days for me... I want to update my other hobbies too :)

I will likely ( I dont wanna say never) but buy another rim brake bike again. For me it's more safety... my hands have some slight nerve damage and 1 finger braking is soooo soo nice.

but I do miss my 12.8lb Parlee too.... dont get me wrong.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Mep

by Mep

spdntrxi wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:35 am
spdntrxi wrote:

yeah too many new bike strava days for me... I want to update my other hobbies too :)

I will likely ( I dont wanna say never) but buy another rim brake bike again. For me it's more safety... my hands have some slight nerve damage and 1 finger braking is soooo soo nice.
That's a totally legitimate reason for preferring disc over rim. Cheers. Another consideration that not many on here have mentioned is that disc brake bikes ride differently from their rim counterparts. They feel much stiffer, not in the BB but in the front and back end where you want compliance. I'm sure frame makers will eventually account for that in due time. The problem is most obvious in frames that are directly converted from rim to disc.

Bb13

by Bb13

I’m riding a supersix evo HM rim brakes and I’m so happy with it that I’ll wait for next gen crossing my fingers for a rim brakes version.
I live in South East of France and for me no point using disc.
Last year I descended Izoard and Bonette with rain... and still here ! with wet road, the pb is not braking, it’s tyres ...
i’m not anti disc, I just want to have the choice !

KevinM

by KevinM

There’s absolutely no reason to remove the bottles from the handlebars. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to move the shifters from the downtube. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to have 10 speeds. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to get rid of clips and straps. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to use wider tires. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to have a lighter, more aero, more compliant (insert bike quality here) bike. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to use a saddle bag when you have pockets on your jersey. It’s just a marketing ploy.
And on and on and on. We’ve been here before.
There’s absolutely no reason to use electronic shifting, it’s just a marketing ploy.

Personally, I enjoy a market that constantly evolves and advances. I’d be bored to death if I was still riding the same aluminum bike with downtube shifters, clips and straps, antiquated breaking, 19mm tires, a triple, etc. that I owned in the early 90s.

If you like those things, good for you! We all like different stuff. Enjoy yours and let me enjoy mine. No need to start calling people idiots because they evolve.

Marin

by Marin

But what if they evolve into idiots? :D

KevinM

by KevinM

Marin wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:24 pm
But what if they evolve into idiots? :D
😂🤘

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

KevinM wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 pm
There’s absolutely no reason to remove the bottles from the handlebars. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to move the shifters from the downtube. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to have 10 speeds. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to get rid of clips and straps. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to use wider tires. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to have a lighter, more aero, more compliant (insert bike quality here) bike. It’s just a marketing ploy.
There’s absolutely no reason to use a saddle bag when you have pockets on your jersey. It’s just a marketing ploy.
And on and on and on. We’ve been here before.
There’s absolutely no reason to use electronic shifting, it’s just a marketing ploy.

Personally, I enjoy a market that constantly evolves and advances. I’d be bored to death if I was still riding the same aluminum bike with downtube shifters, clips and straps, antiquated breaking, 19mm tires, a triple, etc. that I owned in the early 90s.

If you like those things, good for you! We all like different stuff. Enjoy yours and let me enjoy mine. No need to start calling people idiots because they evolve.
No one is calling anyone an idiot here, no one is trying to convince you that disc brakes are wrong, and I am pretty sure no one on this site is against innovation, I know I am certainly not. It all comes down to personal choice and application. I think that having the options as too what you want to run at a high end should not be taken away. If there is still a demand for a certain product and it works as effectively as most anything else then the industry should continue to produce those products. But to eliminate a product just to get people to move over to another product is eliminating choices. I enjoy having choices because I tend to mix up my groupos to a certain extent as long as they work together reasonably well. Choices and options are a great thing to have in the cycling industry.

MoPho

by MoPho

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:16 pm

No one is calling anyone an idiot here, no one is trying to convince you that disc brakes are wrong,

You must be new to this whole disc brake discussion thing... :twinkle:

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

MoPho wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:

No one is calling anyone an idiot here, no one is trying to convince you that disc brakes are wrong,

Haha yeah I am. Some pretty heated debates on this one and I am sure that wont change. I am also sure it will go on and on.

KevinM

by KevinM

MoPho wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:

Haha! Exactly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com