For those buying a new machine... disc or rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cerb

by cerb

Just bought a new (aero) road bike. It's mainly for racing crits but it's also my only bike - so it'll also do hills, a few longer road races, fondos etc.

Despite being primarily used on the flats and when I'm trying not to brake at all....;

Disc brakes

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

When I bought my last bike it was a tough choice because I was so heavily invested in rim brake wheels. I live in a pretty mountainous area and ride in all weather. Disc brakes seemed like the best choice. I know the market is going disc and there’s no stopping it. So I sold two bikes and three sets of wheels and went disc. I didn’t want to have rim and disc and wheels for both, just doesn’t make sense to me. So I am rebuilding my stable. If I lived in Florida disc brakes wouldn’t be a consideration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Current stash - 1 disc, 3 rim. Next addition will be rim as well, partly because I have a group but mostly because I'm happy to only have one disc bike in my quiver. It is my gravel/winter bike. I'm not a massive fan of the hydraulic disc complexity factor, and for bikes that get ridden in mostly dry weather I'm perfectly happy on rim brakes.

crux

by crux

I sold my Aeroad (rim) and one of the reasons was, that I got tired of changing wheels all the time and to align the brake calipers. Now I got a disc brake bike for racing, training, commuting - let's say for everything! It is a bit more heavy than the Canyon, but for me this doesn't really matter.

KevinM

by KevinM

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 am
KevinM wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:12 am
Bought a road bike and a gravel bike this year. Both disc. It’s going to break my heart to sell my 303 NSWs, but the future is disc, and it’s happening quickly.
I've sold Enve 4.5 ..2 sets of 2.2 tubs and clinchers and currently selling 7.8.. yeah it hurts.
Ouch!

flying

by flying

Not positive on the next buy or not but...if I do it will be either rim brake or direct mount rim brake :thumbup:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

My very PERSONAL opinion is that there is a lot of “new and must have” things recently that completely solve a problem that never existed. I’m pretty sure we peaked on true innovations and gains in frames and parts about 3-4 years ago, but have to continue to pump out “new and better” yearly for sales only. A few:

-thru axle
-disc brakes
-full aero frames
-electronic gearing
-hydraulic brake lines
-12 vs 11 vs 10 sp
-tire sizes beyond 22-23
-direct mount brakes
-Gravel bikes
-integrated seat post clamps
-proprietary seat posts
-12 different bottom brackets

List goes on......

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^amen to that
crux wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 am
I sold my Aeroad (rim) and one of the reasons was, that I got tired of changing wheels all the time and to align the brake calipers
erm, could you please clarify? :shock:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

crux

by crux

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 pm
^amen to that
crux wrote:
I sold my Aeroad (rim) and one of the reasons was, that I got tired of changing wheels all the time and to align the brake calipers
Had to change the wheels a lot, because here in switzerland it is raining often. My carbon rims were not as wide as my alu ones, therefore the realignment of the direct mount brakes every time and of course changing the brake pads :)

andreas

by andreas

tymon_tm wrote:
^amen to that
crux wrote:
I'm guessing he used separate wheels for racing/training and/or dry/wet weather, to preserve the brake track of his expensive wheels (if you are a heavy guy in a mountainous area you will know why). Apart from bearing wear, that problem doesn't really exist with discs and you can basically use your favourite set all the time.

But I agree that discs mostly solve a problem for heavy guys in wet/mountainous areas, and creates some new ones.

crux

by crux

andreas wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:25 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
^amen to that
crux wrote:
I'm guessing he used separate wheels for racing/training and/or dry/wet weather, to preserve the brake track of his expensive wheels (if you are a heavy guy in a mountainous area you will know why). Apart from bearing wear, that problem doesn't really exist with discs and you can basically use your favourite set all the time.

But I agree that discs mostly solve a problem for heavy guys in wet/mountainous areas, and creates some new ones.
Yes you got the point.
Wouldn't call myself heavy with 66kgs ;) but it's just more comfortable if you can jump on the ONE bike without changing anything.

Theologian

by Theologian

Disc for both wife and I in the humid PA weather and no track wear to worry about for carbon wheels.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wonder if people who really want a rim brake bike (as an example S5), start to look elsewhere, or if they jump the disc version.
My honest guess, most probably have a change of mind and jump the disc bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

parleez1

by parleez1

Just purchased a 2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 with Red 22 etap rim brake. Gave a lot of thought to going disc, but in the end decided for the kind of riding I do I don't need it. I like riding a lighter bike and didn't want to deal with disc brake issues, a rim brake is easy.
That being said, I'm sure this won't be my last bike, so there is alway N+1 disc brake bike to think about in the future!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com