Wheel options (rim brake) for 2019 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm about to order a 2019 Trek Madone SLR frameset (Rage Red), new two piece cockpit, and Bontrager XXX-6 wheels through my dealer next week. But right now I'm getting hesitant as the new upcoming Campy WTO 60 wheels fit all the criteria I'm looking for my new bike. They are tubeless, 19mm internal width, and exceptional hubs. Price should be close. My dealer is offering the XXX's for $2050 while the new Campy's list for $2580 but should sell for less at places like Starbike. What do you think?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

From the reviews I've seen online, the XXX wheels are pretty good at braking, they're light weight, and Hambini's aero test shows them being very good. Also, since they're DT Swiss hubs (internally), you'll be find given all the new standards coming out, since they're on board with Shimano for MicroSpline, and XD-R is an open standard. Also, that's a pretty decent price for the wheels, so I'd go with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

What he said ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

You guys are making too much sense.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I know I can be long winded sometimes.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Wookski

by Wookski

WTO- better hubs and campagnolo braking/ heat resistance one of the best. Bontrager is slightly lower tier OEM, just not as special.

Mep

by Mep

I used to find Bontrager a low tier OEM supplier as well, but it seems that tide is changing now with a few actually outstanding products in their lineup.

Geoff

by Geoff

If the new XXX tubeless are anything near as good as the old Aeolus tubeless you will be in for a treat. I was pretty skeptical, but the Aeolus wheels are very nice. Paired with the Bontranger tubeless tires, they really seal-up like nobody's business. I have a few sets of tubeless that I am testing, but these are by far the best.

Wookski

by Wookski

Mep wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 pm
I used to find Bontrager a low tier OEM supplier as well, but it seems that tide is changing now with a few actually outstanding products in their lineup.
Agree they have stepped up and the xxx wheels are very good but the OP is comparing them to the best factory wheels in the business.

izza

by izza

Noctiluxx wrote:I'm about to order a 2019 Trek Madone SLR frameset (Rage Red), new two piece cockpit, and Bontrager XXX-6 wheels through my dealer next week. But right now I'm getting hesitant as the new upcoming Campy WTO 60 wheels fit all the criteria I'm looking for my new bike. They are tubeless, 19mm internal width, and exceptional hubs. Price should be close. My dealer is offering the XXX's for $2050 while the new Campy's list for $2580 but should sell for less at places like Starbike. What do you think?
I have 2019 SLR rim brake Madone with XXX 6 wheels. Only got positive things to say about them. Braking good, light for depth of rim and no maintenance issues at all.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

izza wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:00 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:I'm about to order a 2019 Trek Madone SLR frameset (Rage Red), new two piece cockpit, and Bontrager XXX-6 wheels through my dealer next week. But right now I'm getting hesitant as the new upcoming Campy WTO 60 wheels fit all the criteria I'm looking for my new bike. They are tubeless, 19mm internal width, and exceptional hubs. Price should be close. My dealer is offering the XXX's for $2050 while the new Campy's list for $2580 but should sell for less at places like Starbike. What do you think?
I have 2019 SLR rim brake Madone with XXX 6 wheels. Only got positive things to say about them. Braking good, light for depth of rim and no maintenance issues at all.

Nice. Can you post up some pics?

izza

by izza

ImageImage

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

So damn nice

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

spartan

by spartan

everyone is waiting weight?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I went with XXX 4 clinchers in my order (SLR with rim brakes); the shop owner rides XXX 6 (can't remember which tires though, but not Bontrager) and basically he made me chose them over Boras 35 or those ~1400g Cosmics. fwiw he's already put few k kms into them and claims it's the best and most reliable wheelset he's ever owned (and I know he had them all - LWs, Reynolds, Corimas, Shimano... you name it).
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.