Wheel options (rim brake) for 2019 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I ended up purchasing the Bontrager XXX 6 wheels too. But in all honesty I'm not very impressed by the build quality of the Bontragers compared to Zipps, Enve, Mavic, and Campy I currently own or owned in the past. I hope ride quality is better than the build. BTW the weight of wheelset, with bar tape (NOT tubeless tape) is 1594 grams. The skewers combined are 120 grams.
Attachments
IMG_3757.jpg
IMG_3761.jpg
IMG_3759.jpg
IMG_3805.jpg
IMG_3806.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

73Bronco

by 73Bronco

Heard great things about those wheels but I see you point about build quality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

73Bronco wrote:Heard great things about those wheels but I see you point about build quality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I concur. The holes in the rim bed for spokes and/or the mould are not as clean as they can be, my nipples had a bit of anodizing wear from the factory truing, and the XXX decal is a bit tacky but thankfully removable. I’ve previously owned Aeolus 3s and 5s which I think were better than these.

Build quality aside, I love them and prefer them to the CLX32s I had previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I currently ride the Aeolus 3's from 2.5 years ago......the made in Wisconsin ones. Hope they never wear out as I feel as these are the best carbon wheels I have ever ridden.......glass smooth brake track and all. LOVE these wheels. Have replaced rear hub bearings once, and a few aluminum nipples due to some corrosion....(i live close to ocean) for full disclosure. I have handled the xxx's and test ridden them a few times and they appear to be well done.....they are light and lively, like the predecessor but the brake tracks eat pads at a pretty rapid rate. Trek knows what they are doing with their high end wheels.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

What is the maximum rim width the rim-brake Madone SLR can take?
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg