2019 Madone - will it ever be clip-ons compatible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Well, not really much to add.

I'm on the market for a disc bike that would give me the flexibility to install clip-on aerobars if needed. The current Madone disc doesn't allow for a different stem-bar combo, nor does the current handlebar allow for clip-ons.

To my knowledge, even with previous iterations of the Madone, no compatible Bontrager clip-ons were developed for the premium models with flat handlebars (although the "basic" Madone 9 had round handlebars, thus allowing for them). And I've heard no rumour of such clip-ons currently being in development.

Does anyone know otherwise?

It's a bit of a bummer, Trek seems the only brand uninterested in this.
The Systemsix, Venge, 795 Blade, all allow for clip-ons, and the S5 will most likely do so in the future.

izza

by izza

Wait for Spring 2019. Trek are being out the Madone Speed. It is a Madone with some sort of clip on aero bar arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stitchking

by Stitchking

We had a mechanic custom mould a set in carbon for a customer. One of one though so good luck getting a hold of those

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

izza wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 pm
Wait for Spring 2019. Trek are being out the Madone Speed. It is a Madone with some sort of clip on aero bar arrangement.

Source? I've read this here on WW but we (or at least, I) don't know anything on the reliability of this info.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah where is this Madone speed chatter coming from?

New S5 disc maybe your best best if you want something out of the box, though personally I'd hang on to see their clip on solution first and see some independent aero data too. All we've had are the shill day reviews on it, and it's a pricey bike to simply take a punt on especially as you can buy older gen S5's for pennies right now. You could put the extra cash on the currently heavily discounted eTap, 808/404s and an ENVE SES clip on cockpit, and a power meter, and a carbon rail saddle, and still be only half the price of a new top end S5 disc!

robeambro

by robeambro

Shrike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am
Yeah where is this Madone speed chatter coming from?

New S5 disc maybe your best best if you want something out of the box, though personally I'd hang on to see their clip on solution first and see some independent aero data too. All we've had are the shill day reviews on it, and it's a pricey bike to simply take a punt on especially as you can buy older gen S5's for pennies right now. You could put the extra cash on the currently heavily discounted eTap, 808/404s and an ENVE SES clip on cockpit, and a power meter, and a carbon rail saddle, and still be only half the price of a new top end S5 disc!
Yeah I fully agree, and to be honest I am not sure I'd be comfortable with the dual stem, which may be discontinued in a few years and then good luck finding spares (not to mention that if no other bike brand will adopt it, I'd look like an idiot).

izza

by izza

robeambro wrote:
izza wrote:

Source? I've read this here on WW but we (or at least, I) don't know anything on the reliability of this info.
Direct from Trek Dealer who specifically asked Trek UK due to client enquiry.

robeambro

by robeambro

izza wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 am
robeambro wrote:
izza wrote:

Direct from Trek Dealer who specifically asked Trek UK due to client enquiry.

Interesting.

This might be either a hoax or insider information which should not have been given to the dealer (or better, the dealer should not have disclosed it), since when I asked Trek UK about such Madone Speed, they said there was no such thing.

So, something is not adding up. :noidea:

izza

by izza

Well it appeared on dealer websites but has now been taken down.

Just had to be quick to see it.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/trek-mado ... -2019.html

To be a hoax you’d have to have multiple retailers in on the joke. #unlikely.

robeambro

by robeambro

izza wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:43 pm
Well it appeared on dealer websites but has now been taken down.

Just had to be quick to see it.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/trek-mado ... -2019.html

To be a hoax you’d have to have multiple retailers in on the joke. #unlikely.

I agree.

Well, my heart wants to believe in this.

I shall wait for spring then. :mrgreen:

Shrike

by Shrike

Loads of places have removed it but this Dutch site didn't get the memo :)

https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-madone-speed-2019

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's fairly 'obvious' given Madone seems perfect for triathletes. it's a market segment Trek would be stupid to let go, and apart from that I think aero extensions are coming back from the grave - seen them quite few times out on the road this year :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

robeambro

by robeambro

Shrike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Loads of places have removed it but this Dutch site didn't get the memo :)

https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-madone-speed-2019
Haha I actually bought from this website (at the moment I live in the Netherlands).

What seems weird to me is that it is marketed as a whole bike, rather than just selling the clip-ons separately. I wonder if it will require a whole new handlebar compared to the current? If the answer was no, I could go ahead and buy a Madone now. Aaah, N+1 can't wait.

PSTWW

by PSTWW

This has been confirmed by a Trek Dealer and Trek Rep as a real thing. Not a new bike, but a new set of compatible TT Bars for the Madone Aerobar that are due for release in the Spring (April) 2019.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

PSTWW wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:53 pm
This has been confirmed by a Trek Dealer and Trek Rep as a real thing. Not a new bike, but a new set of compatible TT Bars for the Madone Aerobar that are due for release in the Spring (April) 2019.
Yeah, and this gonna be a new bar, so you'll need to re-route all the cables, bleed brakes and etc.
I quite like idea on SystemSix: Vision bars were made with idea of extensions and have sockets, unlike tradition clip-ons. I'm not doint TT, but I'd take that route if ever decide to give it a try.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc