Spinergy Rev X.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sharkman

by sharkman

These wheels are part of history. Nice to see hanging in the wall but riding would be Russian roulette.
Went through three sets within a Year, they where only good in a straight line but crap in everything else (of hou want the looks Get a pair of xentis four spoke wheels)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

C36

by C36

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 pm
Let's see: flexy, lousy bearings. overall poor quality control. But cool looking.

I'd pass, but I lived the experience in the 90s. One rear was 2mm out of dish. Good luck fixing that!
Could quote several messages but many of those messages mix the 3 main generations of Rev-X.
the vary large majority of the wheels are the 1st generation you can recognize looking at the bearings that flush the carbon structure. they are extremely flexible and bearings do not last.
The second generation existed in 3 versions, the ultralight (yellow), the stds (blue) and the SuperStiff (red decals andred hub. Those last ones were the one selected by Cipo and won 2 WC (Brochard and Camenzind) when the Lightweight already exist (won with Museeuw).
The last generation was the X-Team produced maybe 2 years with the SS structure and a lighter hub with Ti pieces.

The SuperStiff are still by today's standards is still the stiffest wheel on the road (90N/mm at the spoke 65 in between the spokes), so yes, they are heavy but they remain an absolute bomb at the moment to sprint ot attack. Still have a X-Team pair and its behavior is absolutely unique.

last but not least, the Spinergy ban was an Ambrosio move against Spinergy when they stopped their authorization to have Spinergy Wheels ran with Ambrosio logo. They pressure the UCI to create a test they knew would fail. Now yes some wheels failed but of the 3 I saw, all had prior damages their owner didn't properly evaluate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm
Searching around I found this vintage aero test. The Spinergys were surprisingly fast.

http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/aerow ... #zinn#zinn

That sits with my recollection. They felt fast once you were up to speed on the flats but they felt heavy sprinting, accelerating, and climbing.
Wow, I am very surprised how well they did in that test! I had always figured that they might be fast at 0-degrees, but would fall behind something like the SPZ Tri Spoke everywhere else. The Tri Spoke is surprisingly slow too in that test, given that they were reputed to be a real aero breakthrough and Obree used them in his hour record attempts. The guys involved in the study and review are pretty legit though (although we don't know the exact test conditions).

I always thought of the Mad Fiber wheels (which are now also a part of history) as a sort of spiritual successor to Spinergy Rev-Xs with their similar blade-like tensioned carbon spokes. I've heard many people pan Mad Fibers as only "looking aero" but not testing well, so I kind of assumed that design just didn't work as well as a more aerofoil shaped spoke, although I never saw the results myself. Kept hoping that Bill Stapelton would ressurect the company after he bought their IP, but it doesn't appear he's doing anything with it.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

tabl10s wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 am
tonytourist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm
If you don't buy them, I will! Are these disc compatible? Tubeless?
You must be a youngster.
No I just thought this was a thread for dumb questions :o

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

C36 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:03 am
Could quote several messages but many of those messages mix the 3 main generations of Rev-X.
the vary large majority of the wheels are the 1st generation you can recognize looking at the bearings that flush the carbon structure. they are extremely flexible and bearings do not last.
The second generation existed in 3 versions, the ultralight (yellow), the stds (blue) and the SuperStiff (red decals andred hub. Those last ones were the one selected by Cipo and won 2 WC (Brochard and Camenzind) when the Lightweight already exist (won with Museeuw).
The last generation was the X-Team produced maybe 2 years with the SS structure and a lighter hub with Ti pieces.

The SuperStiff are still by today's standards is still the stiffest wheel on the road (90N/mm at the spoke 65 in between the spokes), so yes, they are heavy but they remain an absolute bomb at the moment to sprint ot attack. Still have a X-Team pair and its behavior is absolutely unique.

last but not least, the Spinergy ban was an Ambrosio move against Spinergy when they stopped their authorization to have Spinergy Wheels ran with Ambrosio logo. They pressure the UCI to create a test they knew would fail. Now yes some wheels failed but of the 3 I saw, all had prior damages their owner didn't properly evaluate.
That is some really cool Spinergy trivia. What was different about the SuperStiff construction? I remember when they came out with those cross braces that bridged between pairs of spokes, but I thought those were simply added onto the standard wheels.

C36

by C36

TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:20 am
C36 wrote:

That is some really cool Spinergy trivia. What was different about the SuperStiff construction? I remember when they came out with those cross braces that bridged between pairs of spokes, but I thought those were simply added onto the standard wheels.
I am not totally sure what they did to end-up 25% stiffer than the normal and 300% stiffer than the first generation. but the Blades didn't lose their tension, Damon Rinard on his website 20 years ago did quite some measures on them and may remember. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel_index.html

On the Aero side, they are really fast partially because they never respected the Etro stds, then the tire / rim interaction was more aero than respecting the Etro rules.

C36

by C36

tonytourist wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 am
tabl10s wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 am
tonytourist wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm
If you don't buy them, I will! Are these disc compatible? Tubeless?
You must be a youngster.
No I just thought this was a thread for dumb questions :o
Well so for a dumb poster then... yes disc versions did exist on the MTB version, Cannondale mounted them on his Downhill and V-Raven bike in 1996(?) and even tried an exotic version discbrake fron, V-Brake rear on the Active 100 SL.
Last edited by C36 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

Buy them and take them off road!
You'll be fine :wink:

mattr

by mattr

Thats what i hed them for, they were useless.
As were most of the competitors.

C36

by C36

themidge wrote:Buy them and take them off road!
You'll be fine :wink:
Love!! Looked to buy one few years ago but prices were high for a fun project (well I bought an Indurain frame 3x more expensive and I can’t even ride... heart logic :p )
I have a road Quantum in caméléon green I can put the spi on!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

C36 wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:
Let's see: flexy, lousy bearings. overall poor quality control. But cool looking.

I'd pass, but I lived the experience in the 90s. One rear was 2mm out of dish. Good luck fixing that!

Fair enough. I believe all of the ones I ever used were Gen 1. Was on a team sponsored by Spinergy, was so excited to ride them and then reality hit. I do not believe I ever rode the 2nd generation but if I remember correctly they still had bearing problems?

C36

by C36

Bigger Gear wrote:
C36 wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:

Fair enough. I believe all of the ones I ever used were Gen 1. Was on a team sponsored by Spinergy, was so excited to ride them and then reality hit. I do not believe I ever rode the 2nd generation but if I remember correctly they still had bearing problems?
First generation
Second generation
Second generation super stiff model

For the bearing the first generation with narrow spacing put a lot of stress on them. The other generations were a bit better but you can’t adjust bearing preload, then correct a bit of play.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

I had the 2nd gen, bloody awful things.

Jere

by Jere

C36 wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:

Hi
Your quote is right on I had all 3 generations over 10,000 miles at least on each clincher set.
The first Gen if my memory is right we’re very narrow at the hub front and rear I liked TT ing with them more than the specialized Tri spoke
I think the only one that broke was the first Gen the rear C clip and it moved side ways.
I put the clip back in and epoxy it’s still on the Mag trainer 25 years later

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com