Specialized aerofly 2 bar question ....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miles253

by Miles253

ichobi wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 pm
No

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I wonder if Spec will be working on this for 2020. I mean the Venge has acheived it...
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

blehargh

by blehargh

It would be interesting to see if they do put it in the tarmac or not - my guess is no.

They have a wind tunnel test that shows exposed cables are about 12 second over a 40k TT.

I’’m assuming the weight increase to accommodate internal routing would be 50-150 grams? You’d have to:
- specific stem with mount hardware
- special headset spacers with cable routing
- larger headset bearing to allow the cables to pass in thru them
- increase in headtube diameter to allow for the cables to enter and free move inside the head tube.

I don’ really see them giving up 100 grams for 12 seconds on their lightweight platform. But it’s a choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

+ it's a hassle to travel (or even change stems) with.

zariaman

by zariaman

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 am
From Enve SES road bar+ pro vibe stem on Allez Sprint Disc.

First i change the bar to Aerofly ii.
Felt a little bit stiffer.

Then i change the stem to Venge stem also.
Felt even stiffer, noticeably. There literally isn't any flex when i push down each side of the bar with my body weight.

The stem is very heavy (200g) but the extra stiffness feel awesome. Cockpit stiffness isn't something to worry about. In fact, flexier one might be more comfortable but i like how it feel very much.
What width is the bar you have mounted?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

zariaman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm

What width is the bar you have mounted?
Enve 40cm, which is 36cm on hood and 40cm in drop. The narrowest one they offered.
then
Aerofly II 38cm same width hood and drop, the narrowest one they offered.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Thinking of putting the Aerofly II on my TCR. I just need to know two things:
1) Can it route mechanical groupset cables + hydraulic lines internally or is it just Di2?
2) How wide is the total clamping area? Not necessarily just the gritty part, but the total area where the handlebar is tapered to "round and flat". I'd love to mount the Elemnt Bolt out-front mount which is approx. 13 mm wide at it's widest point. My stem plate is 45 mm wide. So I'd need 13+45+13 = 71 mm.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Hexsense

by Hexsense

1.) yes, i routed them before.
2.) not wide enough. Official Elemnt bolt mount is too wide. K-edge Race mount is also too wide. The only thing that fit nicely is "K-edge Race mount for Pro Vibe"
https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts ... -pro-vibe/

rlanger

by rlanger

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:46 pm
2) How wide is the total clamping area? Not necessarily just the gritty part, but the total area where the handlebar is tapered to "round and flat". I'd love to mount the Elemnt Bolt out-front mount which is approx. 13 mm wide at it's widest point. My stem plate is 45 mm wide. So I'd need 13+45+13 = 71 mm.
You could always pickup something like the FormMount. A little pricey, but it works on just about any stem with front facing bolts:

https://www.f3cycling.com/formmount

sychen

by sychen

rlanger wrote:
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
You could always pickup something like the FormMount. A little pricey, but it works on just about any stem with front facing bolts:

This is with Garmin 820 + Fly12ce mounted... Can fit longer arms for bigger units. Excuse the lack of alignment.. Probably the only bit about the form mount F3 that is fiddly.

rlanger

by rlanger

sychen wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am
Excuse the lack of alignment.. Probably the only bit about the form mount F3 that is fiddly.
Yeah, it is a bit fiddly to get aligned correctly, but apparently, they now have a tool called the Bridge Tool that helps with alignment during installation.

sychen

by sychen

rlanger wrote:
sychen wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am
Excuse the lack of alignment.. Probably the only bit about the form mount F3 that is fiddly.
Yeah, it is a bit fiddly to get aligned correctly, but apparently, they now have a tool called the Bridge Tool that helps with alignment during installation.
Don't have that tool.. Don't really need it for ride ready alignment.. This is my normal ride setup.

Not sure if it helps with my photo ready OCD alignment though.. that minute levelling needed for taking great (aka doesn't trigger my ocd) photos isn't normally needed.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

rlanger wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 am
K4m1k4z3 wrote:

I'm aware of this solution, just not a fan. I'd rather leave the stem plate and bolts intact and go with a different (slimmer) mount or try purchasing and modifying another BOLT mount if possible.
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
1) Can it route mechanical groupset cables + hydraulic lines internally or is it just Di2?
I'm thinking about getting Aerofly 2 bars for my TCR as well. I use Garmin though. Have you ordered your bars yet? I remember calling them last summer and they were talking about bars being available in October. Here we are in mid-Oct and they are still not available.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

DCcyclist wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 pm
I'm thinking about getting Aerofly 2 bars for my TCR as well. I use Garmin though. Have you ordered your bars yet? I remember calling them last summer and they were talking about bars being available in October. Here we are in mid-Oct and they are still not available.
I'm holding out for now. My friend is getting them though so I'll try to measure the important bits and will post here with the results. And yes, the availability is a bit lacking... Mid November to late January depending on the width.
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

They are available now. I just ordered them online.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc