Campagnolo 12 speed super record caliper use of Ti

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

I’m about to pull the trigger on a groupset of Campagnolo Super Record 12 speed.

In my weightweenie way I’d made notes several months ago of component weights when the group was first introduced.

First round information earlier this year had the standard rim brake calipers listed at 298 grams. Current Campy literature says 311 and then only 15 grams more for Record. Thinking about it more it has me questioning whether they may have stopped using Ti for the central mounting bolt and For the imbedded short pivot bolt in the outermost caliper arm...or maybe the new black cable clamp piece that is now black is perhaps black steel instead of black Ti. The 2019 spare parts listing is no help.....

I have the option to not buy those calipers and go for something else (2017 super record with single pivot rear - tire clearance and rear braking power is not an issue). .....but also like the idea of keeping parts on the bike all from the current model generation.

What I’m wondering is if anyone who has a 12 speed super record std (not direct mount) caliper whether it appears those 2 bolts/shafts and the clamp bolt anchor piece all seem to be Ti or not. (a magnet will tell for sure)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I can't really take out mine now but from quickly poking around with a magnet, it seems the bolt is Ti. My 2015 Records have steel. I think the extra weight comes from the beefier outer arm (the one they made more aero) - old was cut through.

In terms of power, I locked my dual rear a few times, losing rubber and scaring the s out of me so I wish they kept doing the single, i would have choosed it for the new set.

Clearance: it is not really better than before, it is actualy worse for me.

If you care about weight, clearance and budget, get the old in diff setup (assuming you are ok with the centering issues of a single). The new have a modern look that matches the group much better, but its 100 euro more. You decide if visuals are worth that much.

As for actual feel and power on the front wheel, I can't feel any massive difference from the old, using 2015 levers. Maybe there is smth with the new levers but I don't know and there isn't enough info floating at this point.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Alexandrumarian wrote:I can't really take out mine now but from quickly poking around with a magnet, it seems the bolt is Ti. My 2015 Records have steel. I think the extra weight comes from the beefier outer arm (the one they made more aero) - old was cut through.

In terms of power, I locked my dual rear a few times, losing rubber and scaring the s out of me so I wish they kept doing the single, i would have choosed it for the new set.

Clearance: it is not really better than before, it is actualy worse for me.

If you care about weight, clearance and budget, get the old in diff setup (assuming you are ok with the centering issues of a single). The new have a modern look that matches the group much better, but its 100 euro more. You decide if visuals are worth that much.

As for actual feel and power on the front wheel, I can't feel any massive difference from the old, using 2015 levers. Maybe there is smth with the new levers but I don't know and there isn't enough info floating at this point.
I have a pair of SR11 I’m selling if you’re interested. PM me if you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommasini

by tommasini

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am
I can't really take out mine now but from quickly poking around with a magnet, it seems the bolt is Ti. My 2015 Records have steel. I think the extra weight comes from the beefier outer arm (the one they made more aero) - old was cut through.
Doing the math for the Ti i expected to see being used:

2 Ti clamp mounts + ti clamp bolt equates to a 7.5 g actual total savings. ( I had several a few years ago to drop onto a scale)

Center bolt for front is 4.5g est savings based off 40mm m6 ti bolt. Rear center bolt estimate of 3g saved vis Ti.

Listed weight difference betwerern record and super 12 speed is 15 grams which we seemed to have hit from the above.

Found the attached picture later last night it shows that the side pivot bolts - front and rear which could be an estimated 6 gram savings for the pair (these are found on 11 speed calipers)......is not present in Ti on the new 12 speed super record. Have a look at the chromed steel appearance for the side pivot bolts.

6 grams is not a deal breaker, just doing my weight weenie research before making a purchase. Frustrating thing is in late 2019 they will announce a lighter update which drops a special 6 grams through extensive re-engineerng......so come be tempted to pony up money once again for this special update (just kidding I think).... :(
Attachments
SR20181.jpg
SR20182.jpg

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Chromed nut and washer are very magnet friendly, so i guess the bolt is steel too. You could save a couple g replacing stuff with Ti, but I wouldn't bother unless I'd be building a crazy sub 6 bike, in which case I'd go for EE anyway.