New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mrlobber

by mrlobber

So far I've done 1600km on my GP5000TL 25mm (including a race with gravel sections and a share of commuting with all the typical city street "extras" in abundance), there aren't any complaints whatsoever from me on these tyres.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

ryanw

by ryanw

I love mine too but I still think the Corsa TLR's are a better tyre for the UK. Their grip is ridiculous and I'd rather lose a few watts RR and gain copious levels of grip.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

kevinw

by kevinw

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:39 pm
So far I've done 1600km on my GP5000TL 25mm (including a race with gravel sections and a share of commuting with all the typical city street "extras" in abundance), there aren't any complaints whatsoever from me on these tyres.
Sounds just like me after 1600km :D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kevinw, Galactiks and Performance. They all use the same rubber, just different amounts of it. Anecdotally the rubber feels super soft and it picks up cuts, but all my tread punctures have sealed. I would stick to the Performance model or Mavic Yksion Pro UST (a very similar tire) unless you do TTs.

kevinw

by kevinw

I've actually been using the mavics for 18 months on my aluminium UST rims and although they do cut up they alway seal as you describe - never had a sidewall issue - never had to stop a ride.

The gp5k did feel a step up performance wise but they are fitted to completely different wheels!

yinya

by yinya

I had two separate sidewall cuts on my Mavics within first two months, none in next five. Could be chance only...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

Another victim of sidewall cut here, only 1000km's in.
Might be random, although in my previous two years of cycling on pretty basic and ultra cheap Vittoria tyres this had never happened to me.

Sealant (Orange) seems not up for the task, but before giving up on these Conti's, I want to try and repair them. Truth is, I've never had to repair a tyre as I've only suffered pinch flats (roads in the Netherlands are pretty ok). Any suggestions on what to use (possibly, links to products) and how?

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am
I do like the Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm line too, but the Corsa G2.0 have significantly more grip in both wet and dry. Seriously, the Corsa G2.0 are the first tires where I have clearly discerned an increase in grip over other race tires. The Hutchinsons are less expensive, lighter, still pretty fast, mountable without levers, removable without levers and seat with a regular track pump. They’re definitely the easiest tubeless tires to live with along with the Mavic Yksion Pro UST and Zipp Tangente Speed RT...both of which are made by Hutchinson also.
While I hope to get some few more k's from my GP5000, which Corsa's are you referring to? The Corsa Speed 2.0? I'm interested yet a bit skeptical, how can they can be so much lighter than Conti's and yet have better sidewall protection? Would they just wear so much faster?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

First ride report and I like them. Roll great and have excellent grip in the corners. They don't pop onto my DT wheels but are fully seated at the bead. Rolling on 28's with 75psi front 78psi rear.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

so far me the 5000TLs are just meh. Kinda like my Pro-Ones a smidge better and they can be had for a heck of alot cheaper. Waiting to see when the Corsa 2.0 get released in TLR.. website says coming soon. My tri bike fits 28's.. which surprised me.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm
so far me the 5000TLs are just meh. Kinda like my Pro-Ones a smidge better and they can be had for a heck of alot cheaper. Waiting to see when the Corsa 2.0 get released in TLR.. website says coming soon. My tri bike fits 28's.. which surprised me.
I second that.

Running 28mm on 21mm internal Bonty 47mm XXX wheels.

Off the wheel they felt very supple in the hand but seem to lose that on inflation. Fast when fast, slow when slow, seem to be a smidge heavy for 'fast' climbing and they lack the snap of the 28mm turbo cottons I removed. But only 130 miles in this week since Tuesday and I think they may get better over the coming weeks as the compound wears in ? Ultimately, to my mind they are not the holy grail that BRR.com cite them as but a very good tyre never the less. Turbo cotton are the best tyres I have ridden but they do not stand up well where I ride in the UK as akin to Belgium with ratty green lanes and roads.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ indeed I'm still on turbo cottons with my TT bike.

willmac

by willmac

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:13 pm
First ride report and I like them. Roll great and have excellent grip in the corners. They don't pop onto my DT wheels but are fully seated at the bead. Rolling on 28's with 75psi front 78psi rear.
I had this issue also. I took them off because of it. When I removed air pressure the bead fell away from the rim. I would prefer a tire that is seated so I don’t get sudden air loss and total loss of control

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robeambro wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm

While I hope to get some few more k's from my GP5000, which Corsa's are you referring to? The Corsa Speed 2.0? I'm interested yet a bit skeptical, how can they can be so much lighter than Conti's and yet have better sidewall protection? Would they just wear so much faster?

I’m using both the regular Corsa and Corsa Control tires. I wouldn’t use Corsa Speeds for anything other than TT.

I still have a GP5K TL mounted to one of my front wheels...the sidewalls are starting to seriously fray in small patches (just like GP4Ks.)

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm
^ indeed I'm still on turbo cottons with my TT bike.
I reckon the issue is coming off 320 tpi to 110 tpi x 3 not the same. Cotton so supple so fast. I might try 25mm Corsa G2 after these in 25mm.

I also now think as a heavier but active rider that tubeless suit the lighter riders. 90kg + riders wont benefit from sub 80 psi set ups without smashing the wheels to bits. :noidea: :noidea: :noidea: