New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

carbonazza wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 pm
Anyone experience these little strings coming out from their tires ?
If you pull they strip all around the tire.
I never tried to pull them until some end, and cut them. But they seem to grow again little by little after being cut.

Not sure if this makes the tire more fragile, but they leave quite large black spots on stays or fork where they hit them.
Happened to me after some 1850 kms. Suddenly both sides of the front tire started shedding the strings. I messaged the local distributor and they told me to mail them the tire and they would replace it free of charge.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc
2018 Specialized Epic HT Comp Carbon

MikeD

by MikeD

carbonazza wrote:Anyone experience these little strings coming out from their tires ?
I never tried to pull them until some end, and cut them. But they seem to grow again little by little after being cut.

Not sure if this makes the tire more fragile, but they leave quite large black spots on stays or fork where they hit them.
Yes, and they can get wrapped behind the freewheel and in the derailleur jockey wheels.
Last edited by MikeD on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dim

by dim

carbonazza wrote:

I have the same on my tubeless GP5000 TL and it has not been an issue as I just snip them off with a nail clipper

on my GP 5000 clinchers on my touring bike (32 mm wide), I have not had this issue ... so I'm not sure if the tubeless version and the clincher version are the same rubber?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

1415chris

by 1415chris

Even after so many years they still can't figure that out... Vorsprung durch Technik ;)

jlok

by jlok

changrenyong wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:02 pm
jhalmar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:42 pm
^ Roval CLX 50 DISC with ContiGP5000TL 25mm: 4,95bar 26,6mm, 5,98bar 26,8-27,2mm, 7,04bar 27,1-27,4mm. Was measured immediately after mounting so after few weeks might be a little bit more.
Did you have any issue getting the bead to seat? I have CL50, same rim profile as the CLX50, and i tried two hours last night trying to get the GP5000TL 25mm to seat with an air compressor. I could hear a few pops and it seemed to hold air but as soon as i deflate the tire to add sealant, the bead came unseated. Not really sure what i am doing wrong. I gave it another go this morning with soapy water around the rims of the tire. Same outcome
Have you notice that the rim bed doesn't have the ridges to lock the beads to the shoulder? I owned CLX50 1 year ago and had the exact problem. It doesn't happen to all tires tho. I think the root cause is the lack of ridges.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

warp

by warp

dim wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 pm
carbonazza wrote:

I have the same on my tubeless GP5000 TL and it has not been an issue as I just snip them off with a nail clipper

on my GP 5000 clinchers on my touring bike (32 mm wide), I have not had this issue ... so I'm not sure if the tubeless version and the clincher version are the same rubber?
I have not had this with these GP5000TL's but I've had a similar experience with Hutchinson Sectors. The issue seems to be a layer of vulcanized fabric at the bead that eventually delaminates from the tyre. On the Sector, they would not fray like that but the delaminated fabric can fold and get in between the bead and rim, causing it to be hard to reseat after deflating.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The loose thread issue is common on the GP4K. On my GP5K non-TL I've not seen a single thread come loose on my two bikes. Not sure why the TL version is seeing this issue.

kevinw

by kevinw

Could be wrong but it seems that the thread is part of the liner that stits around the bead on the TL version?

Edit: I was wrong. Strings seem to be coming from further up.
Attachments
gp5ktl.jpg
Last edited by kevinw on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kevinw

by kevinw

So.... I'm turning a bit sour on these.

Just had a sidewall puncture on my rear gp5k after hitting a small pothole - never had a sidewall puncture before so at least I know what you are all talking about now!

This added to the fact I picked up a 3 inch cut on my front tyre without realising it somehow and that my rear tyre is also shedding strings of rubber I'm now of the conclusion that these are not the robust tyres I was expecting.

Good news though - they do stretch! Done about 1000 miles on them and they came off easily enough and went back on without leavers. This after a 4 hour install with leavers and plenty of swearing originally. So my worry about adding a tube mid ride has eased at least.

Think my next set of tyres will be something different though - I hear a new "pro one" is on the cards?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, mirrors my experience almost exactly.

Hard to mount, but they stretch and come off easily. Sidewalls? Same as ever with Conti. Fraying strings of rubber above the bead? Yep. Average at best dry grip and slightly below average wet grip? Yep.

As I also mentioned, I have been more or less happy with the new Vittoria Corsas. They require a compressor or AirShot to seat and the tread is wearing faster, but at least my sidewalls are intact. Also next level grip.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

when do they start to implode... I only have a hundred or so miles on mine.. Honestly they dont feel any faster (or slower) then the ProOnes on another set of wheels (both 28mm).. ProOne's are a more comfy @ the same psi.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Will have to try the Vittoria corsa’s after these. Like many others I’ve been experiencing the shedding of strings on both front and rear tires. I clip them away and inevitably a new one pops up a few rides later. Once done I’ll be moving on to my next tires. So far I’ve liked the new Schwalbe Pro One’s sling with some decent Specialized Turbo’s. Will give the next big thing a shot though. I don’t need to worry about wet weather grip but comfort and dry grip are definite priorities

Boooooo

by Boooooo

I gave up (impossible to mount onto my Mavic Carbon UST rim 21/27mm internal/external widht) and chose Hutchinson Performance tubeless ready 2019 wide 28 mm. They've impressed me about build quality grip and rolling, so far absolutely the best and fast tires have ever tried. Also the weight ( 266 grams for the 28c version that is 30 mm REAL) is quite impressive. I would suggest to try these instead of Vittoria or Schwalbe Pro One

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I do like the Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm line too, but the Corsa G2.0 have significantly more grip in both wet and dry. Seriously, the Corsa G2.0 are the first tires where I have clearly discerned an increase in grip over other race tires. The Hutchinsons are less expensive, lighter, still pretty fast, mountable without levers, removable without levers and seat with a regular track pump. They’re definitely the easiest tubeless tires to live with along with the Mavic Yksion Pro UST and Zipp Tangente Speed RT...both of which are made by Hutchinson also.

kevinw

by kevinw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am
I do like the Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm line too, but the Corsa G2.0 have significantly more grip in both wet and dry. Seriously, the Corsa G2.0 are the first tires where I have clearly discerned an increase in grip over other race tires. The Hutchinsons are less expensive, lighter, still pretty fast, mountable without levers, removable without levers and seat with a regular track pump. They’re definitely the easiest tubeless tires to live with along with the Mavic Yksion Pro UST and Zipp Tangente Speed RT...both of which are made by Hutchinson also.
Which Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm tyres have you tried? @TobinHatesYou ?

Thinking about my riding and I think i'm edging towards durability, cost of replacement and ease off use so I'm thinking the "Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm Performace TLR" might suit me.

At least I've narrowed it down to "pro one", "Performace TLR" or "Corsa V2"

I was so excited about the GP5000 and i'm a bit gutted about my experience to be honest.

Mine will be going on my WTO 60s, apparently campy designed the rims with the Pro One in mind so should work great but Kristoff races with the Corsas so they should be a good match too (we wont mention the punctures at Roubaix).