New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
zefs
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

by zefs

They probably stretch to a point and not permantly, because of initial inflation. Also it's probably the casing itself that stretches and not the beads which are also reinforced in tubeless tires.

andreas
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm

by andreas

These went on effortlessly on my Roval CL50 rims, 25mm front 28mm rear. Rim spec 20.7mm internal, 29.4mm external. Only had to use my hands, no levers, soap or sealant. Easiest tubeless installation I've ever had!


commendatore
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 am
Location: North Carolina

by commendatore

Recently mounted a set to Bora WTO. No tools needed? Not a chance. I'm not sure I would have gotten them on without a koolstop bead jack, but someone with a bit more hand strength might have had better luck.

I find this a little reassuring, and have no fears about them coming off the rim during a flat. In light of the effort required I've abandoned any hope of carrying a spare tube. If orange seal or a dynaplug won't fix it a taxi will have to get me home. :shock:

kevinw
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:49 pm

by kevinw

commendatore wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm
Recently mounted a set to Bora WTO....
What size tyres? Sounds like a similar situation I had mounting a set of 25s to my WTOs. They did seem easier after they were warmer though. I used the levers that came with the wheels.

Tempted to drop down to 23mm tyres but assume they will be an even harder fit?

trex021
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 pm

by trex021

I'm using the 25mm 5000 TLs on Astral Radiant rims. The rims have a 19.5mm internal width and the tires measure 27.5mm wide inflated to 90psi. So far they are great but I have to echo that they were the hardest ever tire to mount. I know what I'm doing with using the the full depth of the channel in the rim and mounting the valve area last. It was brutal but not impossible with good levers.

spdntrxi
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

just mounted some 28mm 5000TLs on Roval CLX50... OMG.. so easy.. easist time I've ever had with tubeless.

spud
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am

by spud

mounted 28s and 25s to Light Bike 30mm wide rims. 28s went on with some heavy hand rolling. One 25 required use of a lever the same way a car tire is mounted (not as a lever, but as a pusher). Last 25 was a bear to get on, required heavy persuasion with lever. That said, I did this in my cold basement, the tires never got warmed up prior to mounting. 28s seated with a 140psi shot from my accumulator. 25s required 160 psi shot from accumulator to seat, all with valve core removed.

dtwolfen
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

by dtwolfen

Just got my 28mm and they weigh 337 grams. Hope they last a long time. Going to be mounted on 19mm internal rim. Got them for the comfort factor more than weight.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk


Sock3t
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

I ripped a sidewall on my 25's.

Giant piece of glass. I swerved to miss it with the front, it slashed the back.

60km's on that tyre. Done. Wouldn't have mattered tubless or tubed - had to get a ride home.

Boooooo
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 pm

by Boooooo

How you can say was exactly a slash from a piece of glass? Personally noticed weakness in sidewall area (whatever brand of tubeless tyres); also other guys noticed sidewall rip increased rate when using wide rims (whatever tubless or tubed) . Would be relieved if you say was a piece of glas this time for sure

dim
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am
Location: Cambridge UK

by dim

Boooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 pm
also other guys noticed sidewall rip increased rate when using wide rims (whatever tubless or tubed) .
you got a link to that?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

spdntrxi
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Boooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 pm
How you can say was exactly a slash from a piece of glass? Personally noticed weakness in sidewall area (whatever brand of tubeless tyres); also other guys noticed sidewall rip increased rate when using wide rims (whatever tubless or tubed) . Would be relieved if you say was a piece of glas this time for sure
because he said so ?.... not like he binned it and does not remember wha' happened.

Boooooo
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 pm

by Boooooo

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 pm
because he said so ?.... not like he binned it and does not remember wha' happened.
asked only for a confirmation if was "presuming" or he was sure because is not always clear
Tried 2 brand of tubeless road tyres
-Mavic Yksion PRO UST after 1000 miles appeared an exterior crack identical shape in both front and read sidewall (by the way binned because of many cuts not because of sidewall failure)
-Vredestein Fortezza TLR almost brand new developed a sidewal rip (irrecoverable failure) in rear wheel while I was in a completely flat and smooth tarmac (ok I was in terrible roads till 10 miles before)
(if wondering about my weight: 72 kg)
I am evaluating to go back to clincher and tube on the rear wheel only
dim wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:19 pm
you got a link to that?
viewtopic.php?t=152046

commendatore
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 am
Location: North Carolina

by commendatore

kevinw wrote:
commendatore wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm
Recently mounted a set to Bora WTO....
What size tyres? Sounds like a similar situation I had mounting a set of 25s to my WTOs. They did seem easier after they were warmer though. I used the levers that came with the wheels.

Tempted to drop down to 23mm tyres but assume they will be an even harder fit?
25mm. They perfectly match the width of the wheels. I suspect a 23mm might eek out a marginal aero advantage, at least on the front.


spdntrxi
Posts: 3128
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

my 28mm measure 29.3mm on Roval CLX50.. so far so good.. feel pretty fast, still have not railed too many corners but I think my schwalbe pro-ones have a little more grip.. but we'll see as I wear them a little more.

Roval says the internal is 20.7 and 29.4 external.. so pretty good match.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post