New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mashiehood

by mashiehood

kevinw wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm
mashiehood wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm
arghhhhhhh- thats it im done. They are coming off tonight and im back to tubes. Hold air fine when stationary, when moving lose all pressure in an hour. I cant be dealing with this nonsense tubeless ****.
Very odd. Sorry if you mentioned before but what rims are you using? It would be good to get this sorted for you.

From what you said I'd guess it's that the bead isn't fully seated into the rim burping slightly as you roll?

Also, what sealant are you using and what pressure are you starting at?
Light Bicycle 56 rim. The front is fine the rear is the one causing issues. So earlier this afternoon i swapped the front and rear - hey presto the front deflated on riding.
Im using muc off sealent and pressure at 70psi. Im only 65kg.

Sigma sport later mounted it on an Enve rim and it wouldnt even mount so very kindly the offered to replace the tyre.

zefs

by zefs

delete

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Muc-Off Sealant is worthless. I’ve tried it...wouldn’t seal a newly installed UST tire on my rim.

Just use Orange Seal, guys. If you can’t get it locally, then order large bottles from overseas. It shouldn’t need to be said at this point.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Muck off is indeed useless.
And when it sprays out, the pink gunk is incredibly hard to clean on wheels and frame.

I never tried Orange, but use Stan’s Race, and it works great. And quite easy to clean compared to the old Stan’s.

Yesterday, it wasn’t enough though(on light bicycles 56 too), and had to use a plug(from Decathlon)
8F45DCEA-D65B-4903-84AE-2E17F79E0D85.jpeg
It is not prettty, but it look rideable.

zefs

by zefs

^
If it's punctured through the bead I wouldn't ride it.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

mashiehood wrote:
arghhhhhhh- thats it im done. They are coming off tonight and im back to tubes. Hold air fine when stationary, when moving lose all pressure in an hour. I cant be dealing with this nonsense tubeless ****.
What sealant are you using?

Use Stans No Tubes, it's amazing.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Holy crap! I see a lot of people having blown sidewalls and I have a theory. It seems most people are getting the 25s but in reality the GP5K 25s are similar to the GP4K 23s. There just isn’t as much pinch flat protection on a GP5K 25. I’ve been using 28s since day one and have hit huge potholes with no issues. Conti is trying to better match actual tire size to the marked size but people are used to their old sizing. I don’t think anyone has a blown sidewall on a 28. By the way my 28 measures exactly 28mm on a 17C rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinterRider

by WinterRider

mashiehood wrote:
Been there... took the time to learn the game. My guess.. your valves are 'toggling'... not seated firmly. Ride vibrations allows leakage.

Somewhat like an issue I encountered... I found seating the valve base into the valve hole firmly w NO tape between that base and the rim hole kept things tight. Push firmly on the base of the valve .. I use a largish blunt end of pliers.. firm force to seat.. and hand tighten the lock ring on rim outer. Mine stay now.... no tape interference between valve and rim contact point.

I'll never go back to boobs..... errr.. tooobes. I do not even run designated tubeless tires .. mine Continental Ultra ll's. They roll and wear very well. Orange Endurance.. tight fit on the rims... haven't had a roadside call now for >4,000 miles.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sock3t wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 pm
mashiehood wrote:
What sealant are you using?

Use Stans No Tubes, it's amazing.

Just no.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:04 am
Holy crap! I see a lot of people having blown sidewalls and I have a theory. It seems most people are getting the 25s but in reality the GP5K 25s are similar to the GP4K 23s. There just isn’t as much pinch flat protection on a GP5K 25. I’ve been using 28s since day one and have hit huge potholes with no issues. Conti is trying to better match actual tire size to the marked size but people are used to their old sizing. I don’t think anyone has a blown sidewall on a 28. By the way my 28 measures exactly 28mm on a 17C rim.

25s measure >26.8mm on 19mm rims.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 28s will probably come to 29mm on 19C rims. The extra 2mm in width will probably translate to an extra 2mm in height, which could make all the difference.

I forgot that there’s a huge weight penalty between the 25 TL and 28 TL. Perhaps that’s why no one is buying the 28 TL. I’m on the non-TL and the weight penalty is small, like less than 25g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbonazza

by carbonazza

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:39 am

....Use Stans No Tubes, it's amazing...

Just no.
Do you put the Stan’s Race at the same level ? It looks good to me

carbonazza

by carbonazza

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:04 am
...I don’t think anyone has a blown sidewall on a 28...
My picture of the plug is with a 28mm.
I’ve hit many potholes without pinching, but this one was a very hard hit.

This is on my temporarily converted gravel to a road bike, running them on 30mm outer width, 56mm deep rims of lightbicycle. Ending at ~30mm wide at 5.5bar.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

zefs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:23 pm
^
If it's punctured through the bead I wouldn't ride it.
Thanks you scared me now. :wink: A punctured bead is more critical than elsewhere?

zefs

by zefs

Yes, that's what's holding the tire. Also what if the plug shoots out and air escapes quickly on that area? it could push the bead out of the wheel.

Maybe low chance of happening but from that photo I wouldn't say it's safe to ride this tire.