New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tleo

by tleo

carbonazza wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 am
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 pm
Do people think there have been running changes to the GP5000TL?
Not sure, I've put a new pair on Light bicycle rims yesterday. And they were impossible to put on without the dedicated pliers.
These are the only tires I can't put by hand.
Or maybe I got an old batch.
That was exactly my experience. While I was able to lever them on in comfort of my garage with no sealant to contend if I needed to get to put a tube in on the side of the road - getting one bead removed, adding a tube and reinstalling with sealant everywhere - forget about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonazza

by carbonazza

tleo wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:19 pm
That was exactly my experience. While I was able to lever them on in comfort of my garage with no sealant to contend if I needed to get to put a tube in on the side of the road - getting one bead removed, adding a tube and reinstalling with sealant everywhere - forget about it.
The rare times someone had a flat, the sealant or a dynaplug couldn't plug, it wasn't that hard to put a tube.
The GP5000 seems to give a little after some weeks/months, and is easier to remove and put back.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This used to be a problem with the GP4K but I haven't had this issue with either the GP5K non-TL or GP5K TL.

usr

by usr

After all those years on furry 4000s, the bald 5k almost make me wonder if they might be counterfeit 😂

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:40 pm
This used to be a problem with the GP4K but I haven't had this issue with either the GP5K non-TL or GP5K TL.

I’ve had those “strings” peel off on almost every GP5K TL I’ve ridden past 1500mi or so.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

From my experience this strings start to come off after using some degreaser or clening product on the wheels.

So since I have noticed that, I'm very carefull not to apply anything but water on the tires, and so far, no loose strings.

MikeD

by MikeD

Those loose strings are a pain. I've had them wrap around the derailleur pulley bearings and behind the freewheel. I had to remove the freewheel to remove them. One of the reasons I won't buy Continental tires anymore, once I've used up my inventory. When I see a string I cut it with a scissor now rather than ignore it.

warthog101

by warthog101

Been using Conti's since GP3000 days.
The 4000 and on have had the strings.
Don't recall on 3k.
I just cut em off.
Never caused an issue.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

I recently mounted a set of GP5000 TL 700 X 28 tires onto some ICAN Aero 40 rims. The tires went on easily and held air with sealant. Total weight was 935 grams for the front wheel (tape, tires and sealant) and 1381 grams for the rear wheel (tape, tires, sealant and cassette). I have been running them at 70 psi front and 80 psi rear and am happy so far. They role fast and are very compliant.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR