New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just off the presses: https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... ing-53229/

85g penalty for tubeless, but standard clincher is 10g lighter than the outgoing 4000SII's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

Interesting they went with a full tubeless liner, who is running tubeless without sealant?

Hopefully the sidewalls are a bit more robust than the existing paper thin ones.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

25mm as the smallest size won’t work for many seeking maximum aero gains. Shame, I would have tired them but need a 23mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Have been waiting for this for a while and the output is rather disappointing.

Rolling resistance is said to be better by 5%. That's good, but not great. For the non-tubeless version, shedding 10g while improving rolling resistance and assuming no detriment to puncture resistance - I'll bite. But tubeless is just to heavy. Given the hassles involved even with Mavic UST, my view on tubeless is that it's worth it provided that it's better than tubed tyre in EVERY way from performance perspective - so it needs to offer lower rolling resistance, be lighter and have lower (with sealant, much lower) overall puncture rate compared to conventional tyres. Conti just failed on one of those parameters, since with lightweight or latex inner tube, their non-tubeless tyre will beat tubeless by around 50g per wheel after sealant is taken into account. And yes, I am counting those grams.

Tubeless tyres of choice, I think, remain Hutchisons and Mavic UST if you are running that system. If and when conti produces a TLR version that weighs c. 250-260g, then I'm switching back.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nothing I've read indicates that these tires require or don't require sealant, however, I think you're going to need sealant to make the tires actually seal to the rim. From the diagram on CyclingTips (https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/contine ... road-tire/), it looks like the liner just wraps around the inside of the tire, making it airtight, rather than a specifically defined rim bead which is what Shimano/Hutchinson used in their old RoadTubeless standard, so you wouldn't need sealant. I guess this new tire will require less sealant, since you aren't sealing the tire to prevent air loss, but you're still going to need it in case of a puncture.

I'm really not sure what Continental was gunning for, here, but I think it missed the mark.

Shrike

by Shrike

Hope they bring back the blue. Old blue version 4000sII looked class to my eye, though think they scrapped it and started doing dirge looking coloured beads as performance wasn't as good as the pure black stuff.

robeambro

by robeambro

Continental backtracking on Tubeless.. Didn't they say it had no future? Hmm.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, given that the market is going toward tan walls, and they released this nugget: "There are currently no plans for tan-walled versions or tubulars", I wouldn't hold my breath.

Stueys

by Stueys

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25 pm
Have been waiting for this for a while and the output is rather disappointing.

Tubeless tyres of choice, I think, remain Hutchisons and Mavic UST if you are running that system. If and when conti produces a TLR version that weighs c. 250-260g, then I'm switching back.
This, tubed looks like a step forward, tubeless a miss.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The clincher has the same shitty 3x110tpi casing where you can see the threads through the light dusting of rubber. I’m going to assume people who cut up GP4Ks will also cut up GP5K clinchers. The tubeless version has 3x60tpi and a butyl layer so it will be inherently better against sidewall cuts.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 pm
I'm really not sure what Continental was gunning for, here, but I think it missed the mark.
Seems a bit heavy, but IME lighter tubeless tyres have been pretty susceptible to damage anyway. It's a Conti so you know the grip and rolling resistance will be good, and if it's anywhere near as easy to seat as a UST but tougher then it's probably what they wanted.

TBH it probably doesn't even really matter how good the numbers are. It's a tubeless GP, they're going to sell millions!

bilwit

by bilwit

RE: Clinchers
It’s supposedly faster with 12% less rolling resistance; more durable with a 20% boost in puncture protection; 10g lighter (for the 700x25c tube-type size); and even offers a smoother and more comfortable ride.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/contine ... road-tire/

Hell yeah, sign me up. I could justify Corsa G+s over GP4K despite being nearly 100g heavier since it rolls about the same but it would be hard to deny GP5K despite the lack of delicious tan wall.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 pm
FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 pm
Seems a bit heavy, but IME lighter tubeless tyres have been pretty susceptible to damage anyway. It's a Conti so you know the grip and rolling resistance will be good, and if it's anywhere near as easy to seat as a UST but tougher then it's probably what they wanted.

TBH it probably doesn't even really matter how good the numbers are. It's a tubeless GP, they're going to sell millions!

The lightest tubeless tires like the Galactik TLRs and Corsa Speeds have no butyl layer and very thin tread. That’s a recipe for bad puncture resistance. The lack of a butyl layer itself is not a major issue as long as tread thickness is decent. This means buying 250-260g 25mm tires vs buying 215-220g ones. 300g is portly and the butyl layer is unlikely to stop a big piece of glass or a faster.

2lo8

by 2lo8

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 pm
The clincher has the same shitty 3x110tpi casing where you can see the threads through the light dusting of rubber. I’m going to assume people who cut up GP4Ks will also cut up GP5K clinchers. The tubeless version has 3x60tpi and a butyl layer so it will be inherently better against sidewall cuts.
That's just the way skinwalls tend to be. When you're chasing performance, the rubber there is kept to a minimum to minimize hysteresis and weight. I guess that's the problem when the GP4000 is such a decent all-rounder thatit is seen as an all-rounder tire instead of a racing slick.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Interesting that the tubeless version has a little flap to lock into the tubeless bead lock channel (not sure about the exact technical term).

I hope that 25mm actually measures 25mm.