New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the tip. I don’t ride in the rain but if i do end up riding in the rain I will take it easy.

So far I’m amazed at how fast these tires are. I can tell by the higher terminal velocity on descents. And I’ve already gotten a few PRs on downhill Strava segments that I rode all the tim. If the poor wet grip is the only compromise I have absolutely no issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Interesting.

What are you putting on for the winter jj911c2?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jj911c2

by jj911c2

Gearjunkie wrote:Interesting.

What are you putting on for the winter jj911c2?
GP 4 Season for wet/winter rides.

zefs

by zefs

What is interesting is how many people use racing/low rolling resistance tires for winter/rainy rides then complain about grip.
I've also seen 1 star reviews for the same reasons. Atleast you did the right choice and removed the tire for something safer for winter use :)

Marin

by Marin

Conti Gp4000s II have excellent cold& wet grip, and we don't have Californian winters here in Austria.

Did this really change for the 5k or is this tire myth?

parajba

by parajba

I would love to read all of the 26 pages of this thread but...can anybody recap / talk about the best sealant for these wheels? And how often it needs cleaning and reapplying etc. Thanks!

jj911c2

by jj911c2

Marin wrote:Conti Gp4000s II have excellent cold& wet grip, and we don't have Californian winters here in Austria.

Did this really change for the 5k or is this tire myth?
I found the 5k to have significantly less wet grip than the GP4KSII.

Jbass

by Jbass

parajba wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 pm
I would love to read all of the 26 pages of this thread but...can anybody recap / talk about the best sealant for these wheels? And how often it needs cleaning and reapplying etc. Thanks!
+1 :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The best sealant is almost always going to be Orange Seal (regular.) It has the best combination of sealing ability and endurance/lifetime. Some "thicker" formulas like Stan's Race will plug large punctures, but at the expensive of endurance/lifetime and it tends to clog valve stems.

parajba

by parajba

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 am
The best sealant is almost always going to be Orange Seal (regular.) It has the best combination of sealing ability and endurance/lifetime. Some "thicker" formulas like Stan's Race will plug large punctures, but at the expensive of endurance/lifetime and it tends to clog valve stems.
Thanks! Very kind :)

How long do you reckon an application last on average for a climate like the UK? Not too hot not too cold. To be on the safe side. I guess reapplying involves cleaning the old one first?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

parajba wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 am

How long do you reckon an application last on average for a climate like the UK? Not too hot not too cold. To be on the safe side. I guess reapplying involves cleaning the old one first?
If you don’t puncture, I’d expect 40mL to last ~6 months in a climate like the UK’s. That should be longer than the lifetime of a high-end tire.

Marin

by Marin

parajba wrote:
I guess reapplying involves cleaning the old one first?
I will just add sealant if I can't hear any sloshing around in the tire.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

40mL of sealant weighs 40g initially, but only about 5g when completely dried out. It's not worth the effort.

parajba

by parajba

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:54 am
parajba wrote:

If you don’t puncture, I’d expect 40mL to last ~6 months in a climate like the UK’s. That should be longer than the lifetime of a high-end tire.
Thanks a lot!

Miller

by Miller

parajba wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:54 am
Thanks a lot!
Six months is optimistic, I'd put it at three months tops - I live in UK. I've taken to running tubeless on my commuter bike which, like many commuter bikes, sees little maintenance. Last month one tyre seemed to be losing pressure faster than expected. I checked and it was completely dry inside. That took less than six months.

Bear in mind that if the sealant does its job and seals a flat, you'll lose some sealant volume in that process.

6 months is longer than the lifetime of a high-end road tyre? Not in my shed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com