New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
dim

by dim

sethjs wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 am
The IRC rbcc tyres though don't slice as easily and have more grip. The conti's feel quicker. So there a trade off. There might be a wear rate difference too.
I'm super curious - how have you measured the grip on the Contis vs IRCs? I just put IRC RBCC Pros (bought from you) on my Venge. Subjectively, my gut is they have better wet weather grip than the Contis (4000sii), but not quite as good as teh Specialized SWorks Turbo Tubeless tires. But I'm super curious if you've measured this in any way?
I've had 2 sets of IRC rbcc tyres and have done a lot of miles on them ...,.. amazing fast tyres and grip like steel ... I've had one rear get a split which I fixed with a worm, but eneded up buying a new one as I was nervous to use it (the split was large)

I've never found rolling resistance data for these .... but I will buy them again .... If I compare them to other tyres that I have used, I rate them similar to Specialized Turbo Cotton, but I think that the cotton's are a bit faster

however, I will first try the Conti 5000 tubeless (I wil buy a set in 2 weeks time and will use them on HED Belgium Plus rims (if they fit) and during winter on my commute bike (35-40Km/day) :?

I will update this thread with my thoughts on the GP 5000
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

dim wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm
however, I will first try the Conti 5000 tubeless (I wil buy a set in 2 weeks time and will use them on HED Belgium Plus rims (if they fit) and during winter on my commute bike (35-40Km/day) :?

I will update this thread with my thoughts on the GP 5000
Please do. I have a pair of Hed Belgium wheels and if I go TL I will put the tires on this set of wheels. Specfically I wish to know if they can be mounted easily without tire levers. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Tour Mag results.

rau - rough road surface
glatt - smooth road surface

25 TL is 2nd best result ever, I suppose after Corsa Speed which is an entirely different class of tire.

AJS914

by AJS914

Is that for a pair of tires or a single tire?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The s works tubeless tyres use the rbcc compound and tyre is made by irc Dim. IRC make more tyres for spec than the make branded IRC.

I just know I have to be a bit cautious in the the bends when wet on these conti's. They are not dangerous just not like the IRC's.

The Belgium + rim is not one I like for tubeless. You will need a few layer of tape to get the tyre to inflate and the rim won't retain the tyre. So you have to carry a spare tube in case you loose all the air.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Zipp 404 disc with a 25mm tl. No tyre levers and was super easy to get on. 35ml of sealant. Beaded with a track pump first time. No compressor, no dramas.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sethjs

by sethjs

bm0p700f wrote:The s works tubeless tyres use the rbcc compound and tyre is made by irc Dim. IRC make more tyres for spec than the make branded IRC.

I just know I have to be a bit cautious in the the bends when wet on these conti's. They are not dangerous just not like the IRC's.
I'm with you on Contis in the wet. I've been both dumped and near-dumped enough times on them in wet that I'm basically scared to ride them.

Really interesting on Spec tires. So "Gripton" and RBCC are actually the same thing? Or is it that irc is the manufacturer but using a different compound?

There's definitely a difference in mounting. Onto clx 50s the spec tires I don't need levers. The irc RBCC pro I found to be a much tighter fit... Needed levers. But that's obviously not the same as which compound they're using...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Gripton was developed by Wolfgang Arenz, who know sells his own “Wolfpack” tires. He also worked on Conti’s Black Chili and Schwalbe’s Addix. RBCC is so specific with its advertised use of rice bran in the compound, I doubt they are the same thing.

jencvo

by jencvo

sethjs wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 am
bm0p700f wrote:The s works tubeless tyres use the rbcc compound and tyre is made by irc Dim. IRC make more tyres for spec than the make branded IRC.

I'm with you on Contis in the wet. I've been both dumped and near-dumped enough times on them in wet that I'm basically scared to ride them.

Really interesting on Spec tires. So "Gripton" and RBCC are actually the same thing? Or is it that irc is the manufacturer but using a different compound?

There's definitely a difference in mounting. Onto clx 50s the spec tires I don't need levers. The irc RBCC pro I found to be a much tighter fit... Needed levers. But that's obviously not the same as which compound they're using...

There's actually quite a few reviews for the tires (IRC Formula Pro TL) I've never heard of before, which is awesome. What I couldn't find were any rolling resistance tests. Does anybody know a page where I could look it up and compare?

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

The Belgium + rim is not one I like for tubeless. You will need a few layer of tape to get the tyre to inflate and the rim won't retain the tyre. So you have to carry a spare tube in case you loose all the air.
I only have 1 layer of tape on my Hed Belgium Plus rims and the way I fit the tyres is I add the orange sealant before I pump up the tyres for the 1st time .... a few wheel spins, then a few pumps with the track pump and the tyres pop into place with some sealant leaking on the sides.

I leave it overnight pumped fairly hard .... the next day, I let some air out and get the tyre pressure to what I need

easy peezy ... and I mount the tyres by hand (no levers needed)

I have had a few punctures, which always self sealed, and I have had one big cut which I had to use a plug .... a few pumps with my hand pump and it was good to go.

I also always carry a spare inner tube even when I'm using tubeless
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

jencvo wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm
sethjs wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 am

There's actually quite a few reviews for the tires (IRC Formula Pro TL) I've never heard of before, which is awesome. What I couldn't find were any rolling resistance tests. Does anybody know a page where I could look it up and compare?
I'm currently using IRC clinchers as my daily winter tyres .... IRC Asphite pro wet ....

not many people have heard of them .... amazing robust tyres and the tread goes all the way around .... grip amazing and I rate these better than Conti 4 Seasons, and Gators
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It not the inflating that the main issue normally I have to use compressed air with other soapy water all over the rim with two 144micron thick layer of tape. The main issue is the rim dies not retain the tyre at zero pressure. This is fundemental requirement of a tubeless setup and industry many don't getm your car tyres don't unseat when flat do they. Neither should bicycle tyres.

IRC's international sales rep said they make spec top end tubeless tyres which must be the sworksm he also said the rbcc compound is used.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Jarno did rr data for me. I have not published it though. Nothing bad there in fact it's good but I can't verify the results and there is an anomoly which contradicts data done by irc and the USA IRC importer. It relates to the rolling resistance of the rbbc tyre Vs the formula Pro light tyre.

Given the anomoly and that I can't verify the results they remain unpublished.

It could be measurement error but jarno does not say what the error is. I will only publish things I have absolutely confidence in.

Marin

by Marin

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm
I will only publish things I have absolutely confidence in.
Can you do rolldown test? I do my tests in a parking garage at very low speeds (so aero is not an issue) and I get *very* consistent results. Obviously I don't get CRR numbers, but very clear rankings that are in line with published figures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nothing round here to do a roll down test.

The problem with roll down tests is there is no way to estimate errors. It very how shall we say open to critisim.