New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

tnc1970

by tnc1970

I mounted a 25mm one in a rear ENVE 7.8 rim. It's tight and I had to use a lever for the second bead, nothing major and not worse than the last Schwalbe Pro One. And I'm saying "last" because the previous one (same SPO 25mm model) went it much easier.
On the -very- positive side, tire mounted with just a floor pump and stay inflated even without sealant. Deflated to add so called sealant and tire stayed mounted.
I'll be giving it a spin today to see how it rolls and, more importantly, how it copes with the Danish wintry conditions and the zillions of stone flints (which usually kill the SPOs).

All that said, I'm high hopes on the new Vittoria Corsa TLRs. For some reason, the current non-TLR ones work very well for the roads here and the ride quality is very nice so, if they keep that and add TLR... I'll like it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

dim wrote: remove a layer of tape, then try again?
The Ksyriums don't need tape. I tried again to mount them but they just don't stretch enough to go in. Had the same issue with Schwable One.

dim

by dim

I've just mounted my GP 5000 TL tyres (25,s) on HED Belgium Plus Rims

These rims have 2 layers of DT Swiss tape.

Both tyres went on very easily (no levers were needed).... so much so, that I'm wondering if I need to add another layer of tape (The previous pairs of IRC RBCC tubeless also fitted on these rims very easily by hand)

I tried to seat them by pumping with a track pump, but both tyres would not seat and air was leaking from the sides

I added Orange sealant in both tyres, and they seated after a few pumps with my track pump .... The rear tyre had a lot of sealant leaking from the valve area (where the tyre fits into the rim, but this stopped once the beads popped into place

I have spun the wheels a few times and have pumped them to 90Psi

I will check if they hold air overnight, then will topup with a bit more Orange sealant and try them tomorrow on my commute (40km round trip)... I will try with the rear pumped at 80psi and the front at 75psi (I weigh 73kg), and will play around with different pressures over the next few days

I don't have a vernier, but with my tape measure, they measure approx 28mm wide

I took the bike for a short ride (5Km) and so far so good ....

I will update once I have ridden a proper distance with them ...
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Front riders didn't call out a huge pothole in a road race and my front GP5K got the tubeless equivalent of a "snakebite" puncture...two round holes on the sidewall. Not blaming the tire for the puncture, however the holes are small and won't seal with regular Orange Seal

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Attempted to fit mine last night, no good.

Had to use levers to get the tyre on to my DT Swiss Dicut 1400 wheels, but wasn't too bad.

Then filled with 30ml of Orange Seal, they seated with Schwalbe AirShot with valve core removed, but everytime I take the Airshot off, they pop off and can't reseat after with valve core inserted, either with AirShot or trackpump. Left one seated for an hour but still popped off when AirShot removed.

Bloody annoying since I've never had an issue with any tubeless tyre like this before...

Going to replace rim tape tonight and see if any easier.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

morganb

by morganb

dim wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Both tyres went on very easily (no levers were needed).... so much so, that I'm wondering if I need to add another layer of tape (The previous pairs of IRC RBCC tubeless also fitted on these rims very easily by hand)

I tried to seat them by pumping with a track pump, but both tyres would not seat and air was leaking from the sides

I added Orange sealant in both tyres, and they seated after a few pumps with my track pump .... The rear tyre had a lot of sealant leaking from the valve area (where the tyre fits into the rim, but this stopped once the beads popped into place

I will check if they hold air overnight, then will topup with a bit more Orange sealant and try them tomorrow on my commute (40km round trip)... I will try with the rear pumped at 80psi and the front at 75psi (I weigh 73kg), and will play around with different pressures over the next few days

I've been trying to mount my non tubeless GP5000s on HED JET 6+ (should be same rim bed as the Belgium Plus) with no luck, 23mm front, 25mm rear. The rear I managed to get on with tire levers but the tube is partially pinched and I have to take it back off and try again before inflating. The front I have about 15cm of bead that I can't get over, even with tire levers.

dim

by dim

morganb wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:51 pm
dim wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

I've been trying to mount my non tubeless GP5000s on HED JET 6+ (should be same rim bed as the Belgium Plus) with no luck, 23mm front, 25mm rear. The rear I managed to get on with tire levers but the tube is partially pinched and I have to take it back off and try again before inflating. The front I have about 15cm of bead that I can't get over, even with tire levers.
Dunno ....

conflicting comments on the internet .... here's a post from someone who has the same rims as you:

https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/contine ... 000/5374/6

snip:
First impressions on mounting the GP5000.
The 5000 feels more supple when unfolding and refolding than the 4000.
My 28c 5000 weighs 237g versus 257g for a worn 4000 it replaced.
I mounted the 28C on my Hed Jet 6 Plus w latex tube. The thumb pressure to get the last bit of tire over rim was significatly less than with the 4000, almost easy. With calipers the 5000 is measuring smaller than the GP 4000 28c it replaced, 30mm vs 32.4mm. We’ll see how much it stretches.
Visually in the frame, a 2016 Cannondale EVO HM, the new tire and wheel combo has definitely more brake and bridge clearance than the old 4000. I welcome the additional clearance.
Is it possible that the 5000’s will measure truer to the listed size than the 4000’s?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

^ presumably the easy and non-conflicting answer is that the tubeless tyre is hard to mount and the regular tube-type mounts just fine.

morganb

by morganb

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm
^ presumably the easy and non-conflicting answer is that the tubeless tyre is hard to mount and the regular tube-type mounts just fine.
Mine are non-tubeless but it might be the width. 23/25mm on a 21mm internal rim vs 28mm.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have some non-TL 28mm GP5Ks on Hed Belgium Plus (should be the same rim as the Hed Jet 6+) and the tires go on by hand. They key to tire mounting is to get the bead to the center of the rim where the effective diameter is the smallest. That's why good rims have a deep center channel to aid tire mounting.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Stripped double layer of old DT Swiss rim tape.

Success!

Cleaned rims thoroughly.
Installed single strip of Stans 21mm tape.
Refitted tyres (levers needed for both beads).
Tried 30ml of Stans sealant which wasn’t enough. Upped to 40ml and the tyres went up with a floor pump and a little bit of swearing.

The tyres 90% seated at around 30psi but wouldn’t fully seat no matter fast I pumped.

I swilled / shook the wheels so the sealant went to the leaking areas, and after a few frantic moments, they fully sealed.

Tyres now holding 100psi. Looking forward to trying them out.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kzy090

by kzy090

The 300g weight seems too heavy to me, but my buddies say the low rolling resistance and grip is surperb.
However, some reported that it was a very tight fit on Mavic UST rims.

dim

by dim

ok .... I've now ridden 399.9km since fitting them ....

most of this has been on wet roads and I use them for my daily commute on poor potholed roads

I rode a 115km Audax on saturday and I am well impressed with these .... they are good

grip is good, tyres roll fast (I have mine pumped up to 80 Psi back and 75 Psi front .... I have had them at less and it was a plusher ride

Zero punctures so far, and tyres look good with no cuts etc

buy them, they are good
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:34 pm
. You do need a good flat thin lever though. A traditional shaped lever is the wrong shape. that makes all the difference.
Any suggestions for a thin lever?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com