New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Parrain

by Parrain

I tried to mount those Conti 5000 on Roval C64... And failed .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Dilute Soapy water and use a broad lever. You also have to chase the slack this is essential on tight fitting tyres. If you want a tyre that's mount easily by hand and is not a tight fit stick to tubes. Spec size there wheels for there IRC made tubeless tyres. These are even tighter than the conti's. in other words a secure fit. Its your fitting skills that are not up to scratch not a problem with the tyre. The tyres will mount.

If the Tubeless tyre is too loose there can be inflation problems (maxis padrone) and the tyre is not strongly retained with no pressure making inflation messy probably and a spare tube essential and more mess.

Tubeless tyres need specific levers. You could always

mrirocz

by mrirocz

I didn't use soapy water. I was thinking that I would lose grip of the tire since it is slippery. I used my palms to power the tire be in place. I didn't use a tire lever either since I did not want to ruin my expensive carbon wheelset. Does anyone else use levers on their carbon wheels?

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

Yep, but of course only plastic ones.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

never ruined a carbon hoop with plastic levers... a rim sticker maybe.

The soapy water is for the tire bead process.. not tire install on rim... generally..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 am

The soapy water is for the tire bead process.. not tire install on rim... generally..

The soapy water trick existed before tubeless tires. There is a misconception that soapy water is used to help trap air / create a seal when its sole purpose is to act as a lubricant for tight beads (whether in the center channel or when trying to mount a tire on a rim.)

This is why I continually smirk at the notion of tires being too loose for initial seating/inflation. Some degree of looseness is a good thing because of the reduced friction. It’s why Mavic, Hutchinsons, etc. seat so easily. All tires are going to be sufficiently “airtight” in the center channel. It’s the ones that are too tight that won’t budge, to the point where tiny gaps are the path of least resistance for air to push through.

The reason why some tires like the Padrone might be tough to seat is because the bead is heavily squared off. It creates high friction / contact area along the bead even if it isn’t super tight.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

never meant to hint it was for creating a seal... lube only. It might has existed before tubeless, but I never felt the need prior to tubeless.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

After suffering yet another puncture on my Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storms, (one that wouldn't seal and I had to stick a tube in), I have purchased a pair of GP5K TLs in a 28c. Hoping with the positive history I've had with GP4Ks, these will perform the same...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Sock3t

by Sock3t

So I'm going to venture into the world of tubeless this week. I'll get my local shop to get everything setup for me, so I'm good there. But in the future, what stuff should I have on hand for ongoing use of tubeless tyres?

I know I'll need sealant - I'll get all that stuff from my local shop. Is my cheap bell pump OK for topping off air and possibly setting the bead if need be? I have no means to support an air compressor in my current living situation, do I want one of those pressure chamber pumps?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’ve never needed a pressurized canister pump with any tire/rim combo, but perhaps I’m just lucky...

zefs

by zefs

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm
I’ve never needed a pressurized canister pump with any tire/rim combo, but perhaps I’m just lucky...
Some people add sealant before using compressed air which dries the sealant and then they can't get tire to seat. I guess the sealant won't be affected as much by using normal pump but I always seat the tire first then deflate and add sealant.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I tend to find the opposite THY. The padrone for example is not sufficently airtight on many rims in the central channel and the nearly all tyres i have had issues seating have all been too loose on the respective rims. Some are too tight and that another problem. All the problems tyres/rim combos I have had, have been where the tyre is an easy hand mount even without soapy water. You can hear the air pissing out faster than I can add it even with a compressed air charge. Soapy water then does not help either as the gaps are more than baggy. yet when more tape is added (and friction goes up the tyre then seats and seals). There a pattern there. the fit needs to be tight enough. tighter fit can be useable with soapy water. Tighter fits are desirable because levers make it possible. A tighter fit is useful for tyre retention with no air. A tyre is retained by friction in conjunction with the beak lock bump. For rims with out the beak lock bump it is based on friction alone(and the gluing effect if any of the sealant). For security of fit I have yet to find better than an IRC tubeless tyre on Kinlin XR22/26/31T or there TL21/23/29 rims, that a combination of the bead shape on IRC tyres (which does lead to more fritction) and the rim itself.

Bead shape is important though and does make a difference to friction but that not an exuse for a baggy fit. There is a difference bewtween a baggy fit an how a hutchinson made tyre fits a properly sized rim.

as for what you need a bottle, of selant, valve core remover, a thin pokey thing to clean out the valve (spoke), sealant injector, spare valve cores and a pump. CO2 can be used to reseat tyres. If the tyre is not retained after reaseating then you have a problem anyway because you cant inject sealant reliabily.

I have need compressed air to get a variety of setups to works THY. yes you have been luckly or just used tyre/rims that work together well. thats the way it should be but it is not always the way it is.
Zef that the way I do it too. It solves problems and saves mess.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm
I think you are indeed lucky.. I can count on one hand how many times I've not had to use a canister pump. My usual method is what zefs does.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TheRich

by TheRich

Sock3t wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 pm
I have no means to support an air compressor in my current living situation, do I want one of those pressure chamber pumps?
They're nice to have for mountain bikes, not sure how necessary they are for smaller tires, but they'll definitely work. Although unless they have a way to isolate the air chamber, they're not very good at simply pumping up tires...at least that's my experience with a Bontrager Flash Charger which will seat 29x3 tires without fail (so far).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I have used tire bead wax. makes for a less messy way to put the tubeless on the rim. I've tried the soapy water and always had a messy time of it.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:30 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 am

The soapy water trick existed before tubeless tires. There is a misconception that soapy water is used to help trap air / create a seal when its sole purpose is to act as a lubricant for tight beads (whether in the center channel or when trying to mount a tire on a rim.)

This is why I continually smirk at the notion of tires being too loose for initial seating/inflation. Some degree of looseness is a good thing because of the reduced friction. It’s why Mavic, Hutchinsons, etc. seat so easily. All tires are going to be sufficiently “airtight” in the center channel. It’s the ones that are too tight that won’t budge, to the point where tiny gaps are the path of least resistance for air to push through.

The reason why some tires like the Padrone might be tough to seat is because the bead is heavily squared off. It creates high friction / contact area along the bead even if it isn’t super tight.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc