New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 am
I’d be willing to bet the guys getting a lot of sidewall cuts are running their tyres fashionably soft and maybe also not quite being honest with themselves about their weight :lol: it’s getting to be the same in MTB, dudes running ridiculously soft tyres for the gripzzz but pinch flatting *f##k* out of tubeless so we’re now seeing foam inserts :eyeroll:

The opposite. Almost all of my punctures occur when I am going a PR and I inflate the tires to higher than my normal pressures. Deflection when dealing with harder objects is good.

Marin

by Marin

+1

Lower pressure, fewer flats

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Monkeyfudger wrote:
I’d be willing to bet the guys getting a lot of sidewall cuts are running their tyres fashionably soft and maybe also not quite being honest with themselves about their weight :lol: it’s getting to be the same in MTB, dudes running ridiculously soft tyres for the gripzzz but pinch flatting *f##k* out of tubeless so we’re now seeing foam inserts :eyeroll:
Opposite is true. Soft tire deform around object with ease. High air pressure add tire wall stress and stretch it. In turn Tire deform less and push smaller surface at higher stress against the object.
If you run 0 psi over a knife, it may not even get cut (but it surely get pinch flat :lol: )

dvq

by dvq

Monkeyfudger wrote:
You callin' me fat, pal?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

solid... big boned..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Probably. Yes. Sorry?

I wasn’t referring to a tyres ability to deform around punctureeee things but the extra wear on the sidewalks likely introduced by the decrease in pressure and also the increase likelihood of the sidewalk being closer to pointy things.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use PTN inserts but not to avoid pinch flats, I never get those. I dont even puncture my MTB tyres. I use them to get more grip and improve the handling over very rough ground (the lower pressures and the extra firmness the insert adds stops the front wheel doing pinging off in ruts and other obsticles) . Its like I have a bigger tyre and give i run 2.1" 29er tyres thats useful. Also one of my bikes is rigid and its like having suspension in the tyre. You dont get inserts like many others. They are marketed in the wrong way. rim defense and pinch flat protection is a side effect of there main feature that though depends on the foam used and how big it is.

Even in the tubeless MTB world ignorance rules.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

AJS914 not true, some race oreintated tyres do seem to better than other in flinty area. conti for me I am talking the GP4000s, GP 4 season and the gator skins have never lasted long for me. Even the gator skin hardshell got its side wal sliced up. The other tyres I use dont seem to do this I head down some really shite roads.

AJS914

by AJS914

So maybe we can just conclude that these sidewall cuts are geographic/geologic depenendent. I was honestly curious as I haven't had a single sidewall cut on a GP4000 in 10K+ miles.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm
AJS914 not true, some race oreintated tyres do seem to better than other in flinty area. conti for me I am talking the GP4000s, GP 4 season and the gator skins have never lasted long for me. Even the gator skin hardshell got its side wal sliced up. The other tyres I use dont seem to do this I head down some really shite roads.
What “other tires” do you use?

I am thinking a gravel tire would be a better choice for you than gp4000 or similar performance road tires.

You don’t take a race slick down an icy road and then complain that grip sucks... wrong tool for the job imho.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

RocketRacing wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm
What “other tires” do you use?

I am thinking a gravel tire would be a better choice for you than gp4000 or similar performance road tires.

You don’t take a race slick down an icy road and then complain that grip sucks... wrong tool for the job imho.
Gotta agree to have the right tool for the job. Something like Panaracer's GravelKing (the slick ones) could be a good choice. I have a pair and they roll quite well for a tough tire that has a bead to bead protective belt, they're pretty grippy but pretty tough. Mine are on my endurance/road/gravel bike so I went for the 700x32, a bit heavy but they don't slow me down too much even on fast long road rides, they make them in lighter 28 and 26 widths to fit road bikes, their weights are comparable to Vittoria Corsa G+...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

So your trying to tell someone who rides 450km a week without issues, mostly on crappy, gravel and flint strewn country lanes, even though I don't have problems. Today I was on IRC Roadlites tubeless tyres.

I am using the new GP5000 tubeless but it's too early to tell how they will hold up.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Hahaha. Very true.

I joke that a modern gravel bike is just a front fork away from an xc bike 10 years ago.

That being said, many modern road bikes have plenty of clearance for some pretty tough (and wider) tires.

Also, schwalbe has a pretty bad rep in my area. A few gens ago rhey took things a bit too far and punctures/tears were common.

Given where you live, conformation bias/bad luck aside, could temperature be a factor? Some rubber compounds get too fragile under the cold, or too soft in the heat. Just thoughts, as i do not think there is a magic secret.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I edited after posting. MTB riders have been doing gravel long before it was called gravel and Paris Roubaix riders have been doing extreme gravel since day zero. The first bikes where gravel bikes. Gravel tyres therefore have been around along time. They're called road tyres.

The biggest tyre I can fit under my mudguards is 28mm wide and 25mm tall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Monkeyfudger wrote:I’d be willing to bet the guys getting a lot of sidewall cuts are running their tyres fashionably soft and maybe also not quite being honest with themselves about their weight :lol: it’s getting to be the same in MTB, dudes running ridiculously soft tyres for the gripzzz but pinch flatting *f##k* out of tubeless so we’re now seeing foam inserts :eyeroll:
You know that some of the top XCO racers in the world are running inserts, right?

45kg women running inserts on 300g carbon rims. For traction AND rim protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk