New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

diegogarcia wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:15 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm
^ indeed I'm still on turbo cottons with my TT bike.
I reckon the issue is coming off 320 tpi to 110 tpi x 3 not the same. Cotton so supple so fast. I might try 25mm Corsa G2 after these in 25mm.

I also now think as a heavier but active rider that tubeless suit the lighter riders. 90kg + riders wont benefit from sub 80 psi set ups without smashing the wheels to bits. :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

Tubeless allows ALL riders to run lower pressures with no risk of a traditional pinch or snakebite flat. In fact I’d say the lightest riders receive the least benefit because there is a lower bound to the pressures you can run before the tire can burp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can pinch flat a tubeless tyre. I have done it and so have others.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 pm

I said traditional pinch flat. I have punctured my sidewalls on deep potholes, but those were extreme conditions. I’ve posted about it...also it’s only ever happened to me on 2x GP5K TLs so I’m more likely to blame the specific tire model than the format.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

changrenyong

by changrenyong

bm0p700f wrote:
You CANNOT pinch flat a tubeless tire since it does not have any inner tube.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

changrenyong wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:
Tell that to all of the WC XCO racers running tire noodles to prevent pinching their tires on rocks at Andorra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

changrenyong

by changrenyong

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 am
changrenyong wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:
Tell that to all of the WC XCO racers running tire noodles to prevent pinching their tires on rocks at Andorra.

Yes but that's not pinch flat. Pinch flat literally means pinching the inner tube against the rim, causing a flat.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

You can still pinch flat a tubeless tire. Slamming the rim into the ground resulting in a damaged sidwall and flat tire.
Mountain bikers co-opted the term years ago.
Ride fast Take chances

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So ridiculous. First time today that I’ve ever heard of a “Traditional” pinch flat. Was that just made up in the moment. Me kinda thinks so. Call it “traditional” or “nouveaux” or whatever term you want, but when a tire flats because it was crushed between a rock and a hard place, it’s a pinch flat, regardless of whether it has a tube in it or not. End of discussion.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:22 am
So ridiculous. First time today that I’ve ever heard of a “Traditional” pinch flat. Was that just made up in the moment. Me kinda thinks so. Call it “traditional” or “nouveaux” or whatever term you want, but when a tire flats because it was crushed between a rock and a hard place, it’s a pinch flat, regardless of whether it has a tube in it or not. End of discussion.

What about between a rock and air? I’d bet in my cases with the GP5K, the sidewalls are simply being jabbed hard enough to damage the casing. Hell even smooth drainage channels are causing my GP5K sidewalls to abrade just from compression/rebound.

I’m sorry I couldn’t think of a better descriptor in the moment than “traditional” when I was implying how uncommon an occurrence a tubeless pinch is.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I just got back from a ride in which I pinched the air-retaining membrane between a rock and my rim.

It resulted in a slow leak. It was plugged by sealant, and I re-inflated it with CO2.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The GP5K 25 has less pinch flat protection as compared to the GP4K 25. The GP5K 25 is 24mm high on a 17C rim. The GP4K 23 is 23mm high and the GP4K 25 is 25mm high. So the GP5K 25 is in between the GP4K 23 and GP4K 25 in terms of pinch flat protection. When one runs GP5K 25 the pressure needs to be increased to counter the lack of pinch flat protection. The issue is not the sidewall but rather people running too low of a pressure for the given tire volume. And the GP5K 25 is a low volume tire despite the marked 25mm width. I'm running GP5K 28 and the sidewalls are in pristine condition. It's somewhat ridiculous to say the sidewall will abrade from compression/rebound. Increase the tire pressure by 10psi and you won't have any sidewall abrasion or pinch flat issues. Or just use GP5K 28s.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The GP5K TL 25mm runs 27mm wide on 19mm rims and I run them between 75-80psi. The sidewalls are still getting fuzzy in random patches. The abrasion is against itself (threads, rubber rubbing against each other) not against rocks or road. How about the loose threads coming off the sidewalls...you think that’s a low pressure issue too?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:44 am
The GP5K TL 25mm runs 27mm wide on 19mm rims and I run them between 75-80psi. The sidewalls are still getting fuzzy in random patches. The abrasion is against itself (threads, rubber rubbing against each other) not against rocks or road. How about the loose threads coming off the sidewalls...you think that’s a low pressure issue too?
If the sidewall abrasion is against itself then I'd say the pressure is just too low for the tire's given volume. It's well publicized that Conti changed the size marking to be more realistic. I bet many people who went from GP4K 25s to GP5K 25s on the same rim but didn't increase the pressure to counter the lack of tire volume, and get pinch flats as a result. I know this doesn't apply to you. All I'm saying is that if you are getting pinch flats then try running higher pressure or get a higher volume tire. I have no doubt you'll have a more positive experience with the GP5K 28s. But at this point I think you have completely given up on the GP5K.

As for the loose threads I used to get many on the GP4K. But on the GP5K I've not seen a single loose thread after many miles. Mine is the non-TL. I don't know why you are seeing the threads. I can only share my own experiences which happen to be opposite of yours.

zefs

by zefs

robeambro wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:45 pm
Another victim of sidewall cut here, only 1000km's in.
Might be random, although in my previous two years of cycling on pretty basic and ultra cheap Vittoria tyres this had never happened to me.

Sealant (Orange) seems not up for the task, but before giving up on these Conti's, I want to try and repair them. Truth is, I've never had to repair a tyre as I've only suffered pinch flats (roads in the Netherlands are pretty ok). Any suggestions on what to use (possibly, links to products) and how?
Depends on how big the cut is, it can probably be patched if it's not big. In that case you use tubeless repair patches with the glue by following the instructions and leaving it overnight. If the cut is big the patch can be blown away when inflated/during the ride, so might be best to run it with a tube and tire boot instead until it wears out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-XPVnhJuc
Last edited by zefs on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boooooo

by Boooooo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 am
If the sidewall abrasion is against itself then I'd say the pressure is just too low for the tire's given volume. It's well publicized that Conti changed the size marking to be more realistic. I bet many people who went from GP4K 25s to GP5K 25s on the same rim but didn't increase the pressure to counter the lack of tire volume, and get pinch flats as a result. I know this doesn't apply to you. All I'm saying is that if you are getting pinch flats then try running higher pressure or get a higher volume tire. I have no doubt you'll have a more positive experience with the GP5K 28s. But at this point I think you have completely given up on the GP5K.
in my still short tubeless experience, with Mavic Yksion Pro UST both 25 and 28 (real 29mm and 31mm onto my wide rims) and Vredestein Fortezza TLR 25 (29 mm onto my rims) at every kid of pressure (Mavic max pressure suggested for the 28 version is 5 bar-72 psi!!) experimented sidewall scratches (one serious failure with the Vredestein only) apparently without any reason (and I am not an heavy rider at 75 kg with 188 cm height). I did not gave up with tubeless since reading people good experiences using since years indeed now happily running Huthinson Performance TLR 2019 version that regardless the incredible low weight (265 grams for the 28mm version real 30mm) seems have strong sidewall and overall build quality (except from 11storm compound that is too much prone to cuts and cracks but usually not too serious). My idea is: since no tube help the tire to stay strong in shape in all stressing conditions, tubeless tires must be built very carefully by expert manufacturers and Conti (and Vredestein in my experience) still not have a great experience in this field
As for the loose threads I used to get many on the GP4K. But on the GP5K I've not seen a single loose thread after many miles. Mine is the non-TL. I don't know why you are seeing the threads. I can only share my own experiences which happen to be opposite of yours.
hard to believe but TL version and NON TL version seems build differencly (just look at TPI description) and pretty sure have read somewhere the TL version use pretty the same GP4K carcass (that means the NON TL version is the real one improved)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com