New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
AJS914

by AJS914

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:11 am
looks like you have done well not to sq. off.. I always sq'd 4000S2 in no time flat... that and I'm fatter then you.
I'm a bigger guy and it takes me at least 2,000 miles to start squaring off a rear GP4000. I'm slightly annoyed that I bought too many GP4000s so it's going to be a while before I can try the GP5000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfo423

by sfo423

I mounted a set on Token Konax Disc Pro; 1st bead by hand and almost got the second bead on by hand. Used a lever for the last few inches. It immediatly snapped into place. I pulled the core and inflated to 80psi w/hand pump and it held w/out sealant (1st try). I put ~2 oz of sealant into each tire and rode this AM @ 80 rear / 75 front. Might go 75/70 tomorrow (160#).

Pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to have inflation issues.

AlexTas

by AlexTas

Anyone run these tubeless on clx50’s? I know no bead hook etc just wondering.

Mirco

by Mirco

AlexTas wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 am
Roval CL50 Disc, no problems.

jlok

by jlok

Do the GP5k tl beads fall into the CLX central rim bed when deflated? No TL tires stay put when I pinch the deflated tires on my CLX 32/50.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Had a REALLY bad puncture yesterday. Rotated the wheel around a little, that sealed it. I then hopped into the group ride back and the tyre held air great. Checked the pressure, it dropped about 8psi is all and filled the puncture nicely.

Really impressed and happy with both tubless and these tyres. I am on 28's and would like to try 25's, but I worry the comfort won't be as nice. I do like the way the bike rides, but am always wondering how other setups feel.

refthimos

by refthimos

AlexTas wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 am
Yes, I have that exact setup right now. Current model CLX50s with 23c 5000 TLs. Tires went on super easy and both seated first try with Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump.

BTX CLX50s DO have a bead hook, unlike my Enve 4.5 ARs, which unfortunately will not play nice with the 28c 5000 TLs I was hoping to put on them.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

dim

by dim

2,035.4km so far on mine and they are still looking very good .... the tread wear dimples' are still visible on both tyres and I think that there are still many miles left in these .... zero punctures so far and I have ridden on really bad roads .... grip is very good in the dry and wet

I will buy another set tomorow and keep them for when this current pair need replacing
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

Sock3t wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:01 pm
Had a REALLY bad puncture yesterday. Rotated the wheel around a little, that sealed it. I then hopped into the group ride back and the tyre held air great. Checked the pressure, it dropped about 8psi is all and filled the puncture nicely.

Really impressed and happy with both tubless and these tyres. I am on 28's and would like to try 25's, but I worry the comfort won't be as nice. I do like the way the bike rides, but am always wondering how other setups feel.
Consider that tubeless works better with lower pressures. Too high pressure, and it becomes really hard for the sealant to do its job, since the air is rushing out. And once you start re-inflating to the pressure required, a hole successfully closed might open up again. And you'd probably run your 25mm with higher pressures than your 28mm.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm new to this tubeless arena so please bear with me.

I have a set of Easton EA90 SLX [UST rims]. Reading the Continental site, it says sealant is recommended [not required] but mostly for flat protection. Has anyone ever not used sealer? If the tire is holding air, why install the sealer? Yeah, I understand for future puncture resistance, but if the tire is sealing, is there a reason? Are they like latex tubes where they will leak over time or on the ride? Does the air seep at the bead while riding?

I was able to install the tires [5000TL 25c] fairly easy, almost without a lever. I was also able to pump it up with a floor pump. No issues what so ever. They are in the basement now and they have not lost pressure for a few days now.

jlok

by jlok

Bead-rim interface may not be perfect, which sealant could help filling the gap.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

AJS914

by AJS914

Why would you not want to use sealant? To me, the whole point is not getting a flat out on the road. Without sealant you'd have to add some on the side of the road to fix a flat or install a tube.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Butcher wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I'm new to this tubeless arena so please bear with me.

I have a set of Easton EA90 SLX [UST rims]. Reading the Continental site, it says sealant is recommended [not required] but mostly for flat protection. Has anyone ever not used sealer? If the tire is holding air, why install the sealer? Yeah, I understand for future puncture resistance, but if the tire is sealing, is there a reason? Are they like latex tubes where they will leak over time or on the ride? Does the air seep at the bead while riding?

I was able to install the tires [5000TL 25c] fairly easy, almost without a lever. I was also able to pump it up with a floor pump. No issues what so ever. They are in the basement now and they have not lost pressure for a few days now.
How would you plan on fixing the puncture when you get one?

Jugi

by Jugi

Butcher wrote:If the tire is holding air, why install the sealer? Yeah, I understand for future puncture resistance, but if the tire is sealing, is there a reason? Are they like latex tubes where they will leak over time or on the ride? Does the air seep at the bead while riding?
Every tire and rim combination (+ rim tape when used) is unique at the very fine detail level and sealant is beneficial for achieving a good seal. In general it's fair to assume rims are so smooth and round they are not the culprit of a poor seal, as long as air is not seeping out from nipple or valve holes. Rim's inner shape, of course, has a role in the way tires end up seated on the rim. Imperfections at the tire's bead can have a detrimental effect to the tubeless tire's ability to hold air when stationary.

Some combinations can be completely tight immediately even without sealant, but sealant provides an easy solution to make that happen. And when in the real world, using these high performance tires which have been built as light as possible with only some puncture resistance, sealant does what it's supposed to.

zefs

by zefs

Sealant will keep you riding (will fix most small punctures). You could skip it and use a plug but you would have to stop. There are 2 occasions were I found a wire embedded in the tire when I was replacing it, never noticed during ride because the sealant had done it's job.

As far as sealant goes I would use thin ones for riding in temps around 30c and more solid ones for lower temps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com